Thread: Hunting ethics...imho

Basic Member

Hunting ethics...imho

Likely won't find this in a rule book anywhere but thought it might be worth repeating. Not a rant...just a few reminders offered respectfully.

1. Shooting off a bench...excellent practice. But, please remember, it won't be the same when shooting in the field while hunting. Not even close. Shooting up hill...down hill...freezing rain...scope lens all wet...can't find a "good" rest...adreniline pumping...scope reticle wobbling all over the place...this list goes on an on.

2. Use "enough" rifle AND the right bullet for the game you are hunting. Make a DRT your goal. We owe that to the animal.

3. LONG distance shooting works on paper / steel targets. Hunting? Not so much. If at all possible, get closer. If you can't...reconsider taking the shot. A poor shot on paper...we all do. Wounding an animal????

4. Hunt with the rifle chamber empty...magazine full. Bullet up once you are seated to wait it out...not when walking.

Just some thoughts this morning with my coffee. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Be safe out there and enjoy every moment of your time afield. Hope to meet you someday.

Cheers.

I don't hunt sitting so my chamber is loaded, thumb on the safety, ready when that buck busts outta bed.
    Done this fer 60 years.
    I remember one opening day I left camp before light, when I finally hit a road it was 8 miles back to camp.
    I was young then.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I don't hunt sitting so my chamber is loaded, thumb on the safety, ready when that buck busts outta bed.
    Done this fer 60 years.
    I remember one opening day I left camp before light, when I finally hit a road it was 8 miles back to camp. I was young then.
    Good memories Sir. A young man once, I have the same. Likely over a different mountain but I know our paths crossed.

Cheers.

Agree with most of the above. The exception would be the hunting with an empty chamber. Only time we ever cleared the chamber in our guns was when crossing obstacles (fences, creeks, logs, etc). If I'm in the woods/field, I'm hunting and my rifle or shotgun is a safety click and trigger pull away from doing it's job. Only exception would be if I'm tree stand hunting and I get to or am leaving the woods after legal shooting light - then it's empty until I'm in my stand and the first rays break over the eastern horizon.

I've always frowned upon the idea of "long-range hunting" as there are just far too many variables that you can't control. As you noted, punching paper and steel at long range is great and will always make you a better shooter, but when hunting medium and large game it's a different story. Show the animal the respect it's due and put in the effort to work in closer and earn that meat you want to put in your freezer. It's called hunting and not shooting for a reason.

Small vermin (groundhogs, prairie dogs) are another matter when it comes to long range as any slight miscalculation will result in a complete miss due to the small size of the quarry.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Long Range shooting is acceptable. However, its a method for which is game, caliber and bullet specific. For example a range maggot (Antelope) can be taken easily at 500 yards with a .243 shooting lets say 75 grain boat tail hollow points, and it frequently happens. Same with mountain, desert goats and mountain sheep. Many a ranchers kids have taken mule deer on the range at 300-600 with the same or similar. I call these thin skinned critters. Not because their skin is any thinner than lets say a whitetail but because they just seem to fall over more-than-not once the bullet strikes.

Contrary here in Iowa where whitetails are as thick as flies on cow butt. I have observed quite few get hit at less than 75 yards with a 492 gr 12 gauge slug and leave a fist size hole out the shoulder and still it would run for up to 2 miles. Only to stop and the hunter has to shoot again to anchor it. I have personally called in and have shot dozens of yotes at less than 100 yards with a 22-250 and .233; 35 to 55 grain BT-HP bullets and watch them run away. But I learned and its all head shots at that range now. That same round would cause yotes spinning and just falling over at 425 yards.

That brings up my next point with todays accurate out of the box firearms why not take more head shots. Heck with the punching power of arrows today also do the same. For one it stops hunters from taking the running shot which leads to many many cripples. Also it will usually result in an immediate anchor almost any animal up to elk. Reminder their have been thousands of steers and cows in pens killed with a .22LR.

Head shots were sure as heck the way to go at 100 yards for the 127 hogs I have killed. And believe it or not my Savage 12BVSS 22-250 shooting 53 Sierra match points pushed at ~ 4,000 was a very good rifle and round. Besides, head shots were a necessity with hogs as you didn't want to have to track a wounded boar or sow into the swamp. Also with a head shot no adrenaline was released and the meat was ever so good if they were bled out asap. How did we shoot so very many. The secret was acquiring a pickup load of day old Wonder Bread. They and the swamp coons just loved it. Best part they were relaxed and never did we have to go into the Florida swamp after them.

Speaking of ethics I have one big ethical thorn in my side;

-Hunting, Fishing and Trapping contest should be banned and agree to be banned by all of us in the sporting community. Our pursuits in the outdoors were never intended to be bragging items by us or God. Sure some try to sell we are culling the game, but in fact folks that say this are trying to justify the means. My goodness didn't we learn from the passenger pigeon extinctions and the lengths man will go through to make money and brag. I say this with the passenger pigeons as men got so greedy and passionate about bragging they destroyed nest, young birds etc. It is reported similarly like activities are going on with predator contest and fishing contest.

My coffee is done..time to go.

Basic Member
    Amen gentlemen.............AMEN. Here's to our preparing and doing our best to deliver DRT shots...at ethical ranges.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by LDSILLS View Post
    Speaking of ethics I have one big ethical thorn in my side;

-Hunting, Fishing and Trapping contest should be banned and agree to be banned by all of us in the sporting community. Our pursuits in the outdoors were never intended to be bragging items by us or God. Sure some try to sell we are culling the game, but in fact folks that say this are trying to justify the means. My goodness didn't we learn from the passenger pigeon extinctions and the lengths man will go through to make money and brag. I say this with the passenger pigeons as men got so greedy and passionate about bragging they destroyed nest, young birds etc. It is reported similarly like activities are going on with predator contest and fishing contest.
    I share your sentiment, why does everything have to be a contest?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    I share your sentiment, why does everything have to be a contest?
    Don't quote me on this..........I recently watched a program on hunting in Africa where they are making a serious move...asking the hunters to consider skipping the "trophy' animals and taking the older animals. I thought this was a great idea putting the hunt first, the animal harvested second. A new member here, one of my first posts was the story about my Bear in Alaska. Anyone who reads my story on that hunt, has to know the incredible hunt came first and my bear second. Yes, I was pleased that Johnny & I found a good Bear. But - the hunt itself - impossible to measure how GREAT it really was.

NOT preaching to anyone here...just expressing one man's humble opinion.

Most folks who go to Africa for a hunt these days are more than happy to do cull hunts rather than trophy hunts. It's only the very elite-types who will insist on a trophy hunt, and I imagine there are very few remaining PH's who will accommodate those types. Pretty much all hunting in Africa is now on private game preserves, meaning the preserves own their animals and they are managing the quality of their herds the same as we do for deer and elk here. The PH's and preserve managers want to weed out the older bulls and cows who may not actively reproduce anymore but are still dominant over their herd keeping the younger bulls from breeding the cows, and/or they want to weed out those that are genetically inferior so that they aren't breeding and continuing those lesser genetic traits.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Most folks who go to Africa for a hunt these days are more than happy to do cull hunts rather than trophy hunts. It's only the very elite-types who will insist on a trophy hunt, and I imagine there are very few remaining PH's who will accommodate those types. Pretty much all hunting in Africa is now on private game preserves, meaning the preserves own their animals and they are managing the quality of their herds the same as we do for deer and elk here. The PH's and preserve managers want to weed out the older bulls and cows who may not actively reproduce anymore but are still dominant over their herd keeping the younger bulls from breeding the cows, and/or they want to weed out those that are genetically inferior so that they aren't breeding and continuing those lesser genetic traits.
    Well said Mr. Baker. Thanks for a better explanation.

IF I ever, finally get the opportunity to go to Africa - it will be because I WANT TO GO TO AFRICA. To see Africa. To experience Africa. OR - go back to Prince of Wales Island and do another Bear hunt in Alaska. Take my good friend with me. For every minute of the hunt.

Cheers.