Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor bullet for Coyotes?

Basic Member

6.5 Creedmoor bullet for Coyotes?

Hey.......

Already posted my awakening to the 6.5 C advantages. Won't repeat them here. This rifle's priorities will be equally divided between target and Coyote hunting at longer distances.

Target work: currently working with the 143 gr ELD X and Sierra 140 gr MK.

Hunting: yeah.....we have to be careful about forming an opinion based on 1 experience. But, the 30 cal 165 gr TMK I used on my Deer in GA left a lasting impression. Lights out would be an understatement. Based on that...and to better ensure some expansion on Coyote at longer ranges...have purchased some 6.5 Sierra 130 gr TMK's. Did consider the lighter Varmint based bullets but went with the 130 for LR wind advantages.

If you have any experience with the 6.5 C on Coyotes...pls share personal preferences.

Thanks.

Team Savage
    Unless your saving the fur, find a tipped bullet that's available + accurate and use it.
    I use Nosler BT's in every caliber.

SJC

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    Unless your saving the fur, find a tipped bullet that's available + accurate and use it.
    I use Nosler BT's in every caliber.

SJC
    Thanks Shoots. I agree and appreciate the reassurance from you. I looked hard at the BT's and only bought the Sierra's based on that past experience. I want that bullet tip / quick expansion for Coyotes up close and far - TMK. Won't be saving hides so will definitely purchase some BT's.

Team Savage
    You can't go wrong with a tipped projo on thin skinned game.
    The 6.5 CM would be considered overkill for coyote, but you use what you got.
    Good Luck.

SJC

Basic Member
    You can't go wrong with a tipped projo on thin skinned game.
    The 6.5 CM would be considered overkill for coyote, but you use what you got.
    Good Luck.

SJC

Shoots...

My favorite Coyote cartridge is 243 Win. As my friend and I researched LR bullets for our .243s, we learned of the 105 / 110 / 115 grain bullets. We also learned the importance / requirements of twist rates to stabilize those heavier bullets. Our twists are not fast enough. We both decided a good first step in all this was to go to school on LR - learn some basics. We did. GREAT 2-day experience with our .243s - 90 gr BT's. The seriously H-E-A-V-Y winds on that mountain had a lot of fun with our bullets and Newbie accuracy. 2 very informative training days.

For now anyway, my friend is staying with .243. For more LR target experiences, I've moved to the 6.5 CR. You are right, it may not be the best Coyote cartridge but should prove accurate on Coyotes out to considerable distances. That's my plan for this rifle and bullet. Equal time on the target line with the 143 gr and in the field with the 130 gr looking for Wiley. Taking a hard look at some BT's as well for Wiley.

Once I get some time behind the trigger - I may just stick with 1 bullet for both rifle duties?? TBD. Learning as I go.

Cheers.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidog1 View Post
    Shoots...

My favorite Coyote cartridge is 243 Win. As my friend and I researched LR bullets for our .243s, we learned of the 105 / 110 / 115 grain bullets. We also learned the importance / requirements of twist rates to stabilize those heavier bullets. Our twists are not fast enough. We both decided a good first step in all this was to go to school on LR - learn some basics. We did. GREAT 2-day experience with our .243s - 90 gr BT's. The seriously H-E-A-V-Y winds on that mountain had a lot of fun with our bullets and Newbie accuracy. 2 very informative training days.

For now anyway, my friend is staying with .243. For more LR target experiences, I've moved to the 6.5 CR. You are right, it may not be the best Coyote cartridge but should prove accurate on Coyotes out to considerable distances. That's my plan for this rifle and bullet. Equal time on the target line with the 143 gr and in the field with the 130 gr looking for Wiley. Taking a hard look at some BT's as well for Wiley.

Once I get some time behind the trigger - I may just stick with 1 bullet for both rifle duties?? TBD. Learning as I go.

Cheers.
    I've been using a 243 for deer and coyote for a very long time.
    The 70 grn Nosler BT's I use are overkill for the distances I hunt in the varied terrain of NY state, so I've been dabbling with .20 caliber wildcat cartridges the last decade.
    I hunt solely with thermal optics and rarely hunt them in the daylight, so I try to keep my shots within 100 yards.
    The 6.5 CM is a great caliber for stretching your killing range opportunities, but you also need to know your limits in the conditions your hunting or pretty soon you'll be hunting coyote with a 338 Lapua !

SJC

Basic Member
    I've been using a 243 for deer and coyote for a very long time.
    The 70 grn Nosler BT's I use are overkill for the distances I hunt in the varied terrain of NY state, so I've been dabbling with .20 caliber wildcat cartridges the last decade.
    I hunt solely with thermal optics and rarely hunt them in the daylight, so I try to keep my shots within 100 yards.
    The 6.5 CM is a great caliber for stretching your killing range opportunities, but you also need to know your limits in the conditions your hunting or pretty soon you'll be hunting coyote with a 338 Lapua !

SJC
    Shoots...

Just one of the most important lessons learned at the LR school was to make sure you followed through with each shot. Seeing your POI. So you knew what to do with the next round. Won't always have a spotter to assist. This took some doing and was an excellent lesson. A work in progress. It improved my shooting during class. Had my goal been strictly LR target work, I might have chosen a larger caliber / cartridge?? For follow through purposes tho......likely would have required a brake. Admittedly, I'm old school and used to shooting with no brake or suppressor. Voraciously reading about all this........it seems I'm way behind a lot of LR shooters. But, IMO, on the right path. AND...the cartridge had to work in my Coyote hunting.

I did NOT choose the 6.5 C impulsively and, after a lot of study, FULLY understand it's limitations. I'm balancing a bunch of variables / rifle priorities. The Creed simply checked the most "to do list" boxes for me. Nothing more than that. I'm confident the cartridge will do all I ask of it and more. Up to me to extract its potential.

Here's the big hurdle...

Right now, I'm looking up a very steep hill........moving from MOA (60 years) to MIL...from a SFP to a FFP scope. Hoping I live long enough to learn all this.

I appreciate our discussion. Have a good day.

Team Savage
    Shoots...

Just one of the most important lessons learned at the LR school was to make sure you followed through with each shot. Seeing your POI. So you knew what to do with the next round. Won't always have a spotter to assist. This took some doing and was an excellent lesson. A work in progress. It improved my shooting during class. Had my goal been strictly LR target work, I might have chosen a larger caliber / cartridge?? For follow through purposes tho......likely would have required a brake. Admittedly, I'm old school and used to shooting with no brake or suppressor. Voraciously reading about all this........it seems I'm way behind a lot of LR shooters. But, IMO, on the right path. AND...the cartridge had to work in my Coyote hunting.

I did NOT choose the 6.5 C impulsively and, after a lot of study, FULLY understand it's limitations. I'm balancing a bunch of variables / rifle priorities. The Creed simply checked the most "to do list" boxes for me. Nothing more than that. I'm confident the cartridge will do all I ask of it and more. Up to me to extract its potential.

Here's the big hurdle...

Right now, I'm looking up a very steep hill........moving from MOA (60 years) to MIL...from a SFP to a FFP scope. Hoping I live long enough to learn all this.

I appreciate our discussion. Have a good day.
    Don't believe the hype.
    MIL is useless unless your shooting in comps where most everyone has MIL scopes and spotters and are giving you corrections in MIL's.
    The steep hill is your own doing, as you'd be fine the rest of your days using MOA.
    F class is dominated by shooters using MOA scopes and those guys shoot tiny groups.
    If it ain't broke............
    Keep us posted on your load workup with the 6.5.

SJC

Basic Member
    Don't believe the hype.
    MIL is useless unless your shooting in comps where most everyone has MIL scopes and spotters and are giving you corrections in MIL's.
    The steep hill is your own doing, as you'd be fine the rest of your days using MOA.
    F class is dominated by shooters using MOA scopes and those guys shoot tiny groups.
    If it ain't broke............
    Keep us posted on your load workup with the 6.5.

SJC
    Hey...

Here's hoping my new FFP - MIL scope isn't useless. :-) It arrived today. I'll work with it, see what happens. The Zeiss S3 wasn't cheap so I'll do what I have to do to make sure we get along. IMO, the scope itself is a good piece of equipment. Worth my time to learn.

My work keeps me off the range so it may be awhile before I report back. Will do though.

Thanks.

Team Savage
    Hey...

Here's hoping my new FFP - MIL scope isn't useless. :-) It arrived today. I'll work with it, see what happens. The Zeiss S3 wasn't cheap so I'll do what I have to do to make sure we get along. IMO, the scope itself is a good piece of equipment. Worth my time to learn.

My work keeps me off the range so it may be awhile before I report back. Will do though.

Thanks.
    Sorry, didn't mean useless.
    MOA and MIL are just different three letter words that get you to the same place.
    If your shooting by yourself and are familiar with MOA, why switch ?
    It would matter if your shooting on a team or at a comp where having the same scope settings are crucial for cohesion and ranging.
    Are you going to switch to meters instead of yards too ?
    I have custom turrets with zero stops on my day scopes.
    Range and dial.
    Dial down to zero when not in use so you always know where the scope is set when you pick up the rifle.

SJC

Team Savage
    Interesting discussion men. But IMHO your over thinking it with turrets.

After 60 years and a few thousand yotes killed I have always felt any yote, gives you a kill zone around 8" inch zone maybe 10 for eastern yotes. Easy thinking is paper plate size target.

For newbie callers I have always taught tight quarter hunters to zero at 200. (Tight quarters is eastern us, tall deserts and farm country.) Most calibers will give you about 1.5" high at 100 and ~7" in low at 300. ( reference 100 grain 6mm round) More than enough to manage a kill shot in an 8 inch kill zone. (paper plate!)

For plains callers I have preached a 300 yard zero. 4.5" high at 100 and 12" inches low at 400. (reference 100 grain 6mm round) Bottomline on shots a tad over 400 just aim for the back as then you'll hit the bottom

So no turrets are required if you set your zero for your open long range conditions. In fact they are overrated unless your doping the wind on any live target. Then they are very important on yotes held up. Its on straight on held up because your no longer shooting a paper plate, instead your shooting a 1x6" board which is about the size of the yotes brisket or 5.5"

Now my long distance yote gun is a Remington 660, chambered in a Rem 6mm. I shoot 100 grains Sierra SBT Game kings. It a big bullet for yotes and will anchor them ASAP. Yet its fur friendly. I am pushing it at around 2792 FPS with IMR 4350.

MIL DOTS is perfect as most yotes average 24 inches tall except the monstrous Eastern Coyote.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSILLS View Post
    Interesting discussion men. But IMHO your over thinking it with turrets.

After 60 years and a few thousand yotes killed I have always felt any yote, gives you a kill zone around 8" inch zone maybe 10 for eastern yotes. Easy thinking is paper plate size target.

For newbie callers I have always taught tight quarter hunters to zero at 200. (Tight quarters is eastern us, tall deserts and farm country.) Most calibers will give you about 1.5" high at 100 and ~7" in low at 300. ( reference 100 grain 6mm round) More than enough to manage a kill shot in an 8 inch kill zone. (paper plate!)

For plains callers I have preached a 300 yard zero. 4.5" high at 100 and 12" inches low at 400. (reference 100 grain 6mm round) Bottomline on shots a tad over 400 just aim for the back as then you'll hit the bottom

So no turrets are required if you set your zero for your open long range conditions. In fact they are overrated unless your doping the wind on any live target. Then they are very important on yotes held up. Its on straight on held up because your no longer shooting a paper plate, instead your shooting a 1x6" board which is about the size of the yotes brisket or 5.5"

Now my long distance yote gun is a Remington 660, chambered in a Rem 6mm. I shoot 100 grains Sierra SBT Game kings. It a big bullet for yotes and will anchor them ASAP. Yet its fur friendly. I am pushing it at around 2792 FPS with IMR 4350.

MIL DOTS is perfect as most yotes average 24 inches tall except the monstrous Eastern Coyote.
    Mr. Sills....

Excellent post.

For many decades - when rifle scopes were poor and NO one was doing any dialing...we were all "holding over" with the center of our reticle. JOC's cardinal recommendation was 3" high at 100 for this very reason and why he felt so strongly about his flat shooting 270 Win. I followed that recommendation for many decades with no complaints. .270 / 7 Rem Mag / .280 AI / 300 Win. Using holdovers, always trying to get the flattest trajectory possible. Game fell dependably.

A totally new chapter in my life...target shooting and dialing. I'm learning. Dialing pros / cons / advantages, etc, etc. A very sharp learning curve at the moment. For target work and longer distance Coyote - I'm now using the 6.5 Creed primarily based on its accuracy reputation. Not discounting the 6mm's by any means. Just my personal choice. Take away the dialing - I'd be back to the 6mm for all the good reasons you cite.

I have NOT abandoned hold-overs. Presently learning the dialing thing with MILs. TBD.

Thanks again. Enjoyed reading your post.

Team Savage
    Mr. Sills....

Excellent post.

For many decades - when rifle scopes were poor and NO one was doing any dialing...we were all "holding over" with the center of our reticle. JOC's cardinal recommendation was 3" high at 100 for this very reason and why he felt so strongly about his flat shooting 270 Win. I followed that recommendation for many decades with no complaints. .270 / 7 Rem Mag / .280 AI / 300 Win. Using holdovers, always trying to get the flattest trajectory possible. Game fell dependably.

A totally new chapter in my life...target shooting and dialing. I'm learning. Dialing pros / cons / advantages, etc, etc. A very sharp learning curve at the moment. For target work and longer distance Coyote - I'm now using the 6.5 Creed primarily based on its accuracy reputation. Not discounting the 6mm's by any means. Just my personal choice. Take away the dialing - I'd be back to the 6mm for all the good reasons you cite.

I have NOT abandoned hold-overs. Presently learning the dialing thing with MILs. TBD.

Thanks again. Enjoyed reading your post.
    Practice dialing in it will enhance your hold up shots. However, how do you dial a turret on a live 4 legged target coming to you or going away speeds from 10-35mph? I used the 6mm as an example to similar 100 plus grain rounds in other calibers like the .308 and you 6.5. You pick the right bullet and do load development and fur damage will be nominal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDSILLS View Post
    Practice dialing in it will enhance your hold up shots. However, how do you dial a turret on a live 4 legged target coming to you or going away speeds from 10-35mph? I used the 6mm as an example to similar 100 plus grain rounds in other calibers like the .308 and you 6.5. You pick the right bullet and do load development and fur damage will be nominal.
    Dialing with a Coyote on the move?? Can't...comes with the hunting. Will accept that. However........should Wiley stop for a moment and sit to consider things........

Team Savage
    TAIDOG1

Cant wait to see your yote success pictures on in the hunting section.

Larry