Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6mmARC bolt loads

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1119.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	10619

Shot today all at 100yds just looking to see if this rifle will actually sorta shoot.. Bright sun, 56*, light 4mph tail wind.

The center five target dots are still the 87gr VMAX loaded with AA2460. .2gr increments from 26.1 to 26.9.. On this string I shot one each adjusted scope, adjusted again, shot one each, adjusted scope and then fired 3 round robin. Still not impressed with this load.

Top and bottom 4 are 105gr Hornady Match again loaded with AA2460 with the data I posted up in post #21.. The last load is very hot with hard extraction, flattened and blanked primer. So I was pleased that I didn't load that last 26.3gr load. First shot of this load was 4" lower than the 87gr load so the first top target showing 23.9 was used as a sighter. Was still expecting better.
    If there were a tail wind present , why are all the shots impacting below the aiming point ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    If there were a tail wind present , why are all the shots impacting below the aiming point ?
    Simple. All scope adjustment.

What is not shown is the first shot that was low and off the paper. Scope adjustment was made to bring POI up to the center row. Across the row, 2 shots into the #2 box, then only one more scope adjustment up 4 clicks and the scope was left there. No further adjustments were made. Impacts then show deviation from POA.

[QUOTE=KMW1954;523776]Simple. All scope adjustment.

What is not shown is the first shot that was low and off the paper. Scope adjustment was made to bring POI up to the center row. Across the row, 2 shots into the #2 box, then only one more scope adjustment up 4 clicks and the scope was left there. No further adjustments were made. Impacts then show deviation from POA.[/QUOTE

im confused, if you adjusted your scope to impact the bullseye then why are your 100 yard groups strung out vertically and below the line ? Tail winds shouldn't do that. Above the line would be more appropriate .

Regardless of scope settings, tell us more about the top right load.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    Regardless of scope settings, tell us more about the top right load.
    Not much to tell. 1st time I've shot that load. First time I've shot this bullet. POI was left at 1" below the POA.

The note says 24.8 , there are three shots in a nice little flat group directly below the bullseye. Are you planning on looking at that any further ?

Basic Member
    Of course on the 24.8gr load. I'll be doing that as a repeat then +.4gr and -.4gr using .2gr increments. Could also be as wide as 24.4gr as the wide shot could have very easily been me. May also test with a bit more jump.

Basic Member
    So just finished loading a short 5 load ladder with the 105gr bullet and Benchmark and trying to decide the next one. Options; load up a ladder with BL-C2 or TAC or wait until I can pick up some LeveRevolution which is supposed to be the Hot powder for this cartridge. Would like to establish a viable powder before starting reworking ladders.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    Thanks for the tips and replies all!

Right now the bullet is set at about .008" jamb which was set with a dummy case seated with the bolt. Which is the same way I would do my 223 loads and then start setback.

The thought behind the .5gr powder loads was to basically see if I could eliminate loads of a powder. Which in this case looks like all but maybe the 2460. There was no speeds recorded, just shooting for groups and POI shifts. I do believe I'll reload and test that 2460 loading using .2gr increments. Starting with the 26.0gr load and doing two loads above and two loads below.

Wind was the main reason I shot this all yesterday as it was the lightest winds we have had in week at about 5mph directly towards the benches. Today is heavy overcast and the flag is standing straight out again.

Fug' I get static all the time about wanting a 6ARC Bolt gun but I do know what it is and where it progressed from. Especially the 6PPC. My intention is to use this in a modified bench league to compete with the 6mm BR and Dasher guys at distances of 100-300yds. Believing this should do a bit better at 300yds than the 6PPC.
    My thoughts on this as a whole, you must enjoy the journey because a 6 br will shoot a hell of a lot smaller than the targets you are producing now with a lot less work and money.
    i don’t mean any disrespect it’s just that many experienced wildcatters have tried to out shoot the ppc and 6 br, the 30 br is king for score but if the 223 or 6 arc was up to the task someone would be shooting and winning with it already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12