Thread: Anyone else running AICS mags in their Axis?

Anyone else running AICS mags in their Axis?

It's nice to be able to use common and inexpensive industry standard mags, the prices I've seen for factory style high capacity Axis mags are surprisingly high ($160 vs $25 for this 12 rounder).

Why aren't folks as interested in AI pattern mags?

Basic Member
    Not everybody likes hi-cap mags that stick out the bottom that far, not to mention the cost of the hardware that makes them fit.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Not everybody likes hi-cap mags that stick out the bottom that far, not to mention the cost of the hardware that makes them fit.
    They have no place on a hunting rifle. If you need more than 3 or 4 rounds then you need to take up a different hobby. It affects the ergonomics and looks like bloody hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Yeah, the 5 rounders are actually nearly flush with the magwell and don't stick out, but the 10/12 rounders are almost necessary for match shooting.

The conversion was only a hundred bucks, so it's less than the cost of a single custom handmade mag extension.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    They have no place on a hunting rifle. If you need more than 3 or 4 rounds then you need to take up a different hobby. It affects the ergonomics and looks like bloody hell.
    Who said anything about hunting? This is going to be a budget PRS tactical division match rifle, so don't worry, I'm already in the different hobby. Also, it's an Axis, it already looks ugly as hell, this is the continued extension of function over form, everyone on the match firing line has a long box mag and it looks like successful implementation of a tool.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@MCI View Post
    Who said anything about hunting? This is going to be a budget PRS tactical division match rifle, so don't worry, I'm already in the different hobby. Also, it's an Axis, it already looks ugly as hell, this is the continued extension of function over form, everyone on the match firing line has a long box mag and it looks like successful implementation of a tool.
    It never dawned on me that someone would do PRS with an Axis. What scope will you be running?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@MCI View Post

It's nice to be able to use common and inexpensive industry standard mags, the prices I've seen for factory style high capacity Axis mags are surprisingly high ($160 vs $25 for this 12 rounder).

Why aren't folks as interested in AI pattern mags?
    First, let me point you to the rules we have here regarding spam and solicitation from manufacturers, resellers and vendors...
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...-Vendors-Rules

Now as to your question on why folks aren't interested in an AI pattern stock....

First off, the people buying the Axis aren't the people who go out and spend several hundred dollars on upgrades for that rifle. They buy it as a basic hunting rifle or truck gun - or often as the first hunting rifle for their kids or grandkids. The aren't going to dump the cost of a second similar gun (or more) into upgrades on it. If they wanted something that took an AICS pattern mag that's what they would have purchased from the get-go (such as an Axis Precision).

Second, I would venture to guess a large part of the lack of interest you are seeing is because you made the bottom metal to fit the factory synthetic stock which is the weak link on the Axis. Of the small minority of Axis owners who do opt to upgrade them to any degree, the stock is almost always the first thing they change out - usually with a Boyds stock. Your second mistake was making it out of plastic. Anyone looking to upgrade is often doing so to replace plastic bits with metal bits for durability/longevity/strength.

Finally, In this day and age it's cheaper and far easier to just buy a rifle already configured with the features you want off-the-shelf (i.e. Axis Precision) than it is to build up from a base model - especially when it comes to Savage and their "variety" of different magazine, recoil lug and bolt release configurations on the 110-series models that often result in compatibility issues.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I have an Axis that I use for casual target shooting. I'd not consider it for any competition without some serious gunsmith work on the trigger and modifying the Savage bolt for better cycling. It already got a Boyd's stock but would need something like a chassis for serious work. By then you'd have more money in it than any of the better factory rifles out there.

FWIW, the only reason I have the Axis is it was on sale at Walmart and was one with a factory heavy barrel.

When home PC's first came out, My mentor who showed me how to bulid them and get them up and running was asking me why I did a certain something as it was causing problems. After I responded in denial, he looked at me and back at the screen and said, 'See that Icon? the one that says "MY Computer"." I said "yeah". He said, 'this is your computer, you can do things anyway you want".

If it works for you and what you are doing, great. Chive on. But always keep what the expert says in the back of your mind. It might come in handy.

Good luck with your comps. I wish I could still do comps.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.