Thread: Another Gunsmithing Question

Another Gunsmithing Question

Hello, I have been searching this site for a long time and I think I found all my answers but I want to make sure. First up, I have a stripped long action receiver from the early 1960's. I am going to get it back up and running so here we go, please let me know if I am wrong.

1) I can use any small shank barrel in the receiver. Old style recessed barrel with old style bolt, OR replace for new flat faced bolt and use appropriate small shank barrels.

2) I can outfit the receiver with old or new Long Action 110 parts; bolt, trigger, bolt release (possibly some fitting required for bolt release). I just need to keep old with old or new with new.

3) All Long Action stocks will fit all generations of LA receiver

4) This is the big question, my receiver was for a 30-06, obviously I need a magnum bolt head for magnums, but do I need to open the magazine well to use the belted magnums?

Thanks and a Happy Easter.

Basic Member
    By the time you update all the parts to work on that receiver, the cost will exceed what a newer gun will. First generation bolt heads and magazines are pretty much non existent, and the receiver will need machined to make a current magazine to work.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

No, Barrel will not interchange with that action with out all the expensive conversion. Enjoy it or trade it on a newer one.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    No, Barrel will not interchange with that action with out all the expensive conversion. Enjoy it or trade it on a newer one.
    What conversion for the barrel would need to be done? Everything that I have read shows the barrel thread and pitch is the same until they went to the large shank. I have the receiver, the barrel lock nut, recoil lug, demilled barrel and the correct bolt.

Milling, lathe and metal work is not an issue for me, so terms like "costly machining" doesn't mean anything when I have the equipment and training to do it.

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayoneone View Post
    What conversion for the barrel would need to be done? Everything that I have read shows the barrel thread and pitch is the same until they went to the large shank. I have the receiver, the barrel lock nut, recoil lug, demilled barrel and the correct bolt.

Milling, lathe and metal work is not an issue for me, so terms like "costly machining" doesn't mean anything when I have the equipment and training to do it.

Much appreciated
    You are doing the research.
    Get the information you need.
    Do it.

As a trained machinist you will be able to machine the correct detail for the hew barrel. Just remove the old barrel. Inspect and layout the old breach dimensions and machine them into a new barrel. Get a blank and do your own chamber. People do it every day.

Or, buy the new bolt, You will probably need all of the new ejector and extractor parts if you buy one from Midway. Get a cheap factory bolt handle and modify it to your liking. If you have the time, ability, money and machinery, nothing is in your way.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Agreed! if you have all that do it!

Basic Member
    Can only answer some of your questions....

I put a new style barrel on the old style so had to buy a new bolt because you can not just swap out bolt heads. It fit fine but you do have to grind the little groove off of the bolt baffle- because the old action does not have the raceway for it to run in. I then put it in a regular LA stock... but had to do quite a bit of dremel work around for the trigger- because it hit in multiple spots and would not set. It's been years and can't remember all the details but at the time the info was that the new triggers were not compatible with it- tried to go aftermarket but no one had one that would work. If a trigger could have been found then probably would have kept it... but as is it moved on. The new barrel screwed right in- but the old barrel nut would not work because it would not screw on far enough to correctly set headspace. Also- stayed with a standard sized round so not sure about opening up the bottom of the action.....