Thread: 400 Legend

400 Legend

I've been thinking about a build in the new round. Anyone playing with 400? I like the ballistics compared to the 350.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

The idea crossed my mind when it was first introduced, but at this point I'm going to wait a couple years and see how the cartridge fares. So many new cartridges come to market, have an initial flash of interest, and then quickly fade away into obscurity. (i.e. the .224 Valkyrie)

My other thought would be to do a custom .350 Legend barrel with a true .358" bore rather than the dumb 9mm (0.355") bore that is SAAMI spec. so I could use .358 rifle bullets that offer much better BC's.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The idea crossed my mind when it was first introduced, but at this point I'm going to wait a couple years and see how the cartridge fares. So many new cartridges come to market, have an initial flash of interest, and then quickly fade away into obscurity. (i.e. the .224 Valkyrie)

My other thought would be to do a custom .350 Legend barrel with a true .358" bore rather than the dumb 9mm (0.355") bore that is SAAMI spec. so I could use .358 rifle bullets that offer much better BC's.
    Oh yes, I totally agree. The bore should have been .358" from the start and what they did designing the cartridge has turned me off to wanting to try that caliber.

I've been interested in the .360 Buck Hammer for that reason, but waiting to see if it comes out in something other than a Henry Big-Bore. Would love to see Ruger offer it in the new Marlins, or maybe S&W in their new lever gun (basically a Marlin clone). Heck, I might even consider it in a Winchester 1885 or a Ruger #1 single shot platform.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

A fellow I used to shoot with was telling me of new round he put together, basically it was a 6.8 sps ie; 30/39 case necked to to take .358 bullets. He was loading the SAECO 358 200 gn cast bullet.Simuliar to the RCBS 358 /200 FP.

Never been a bullet maker but I know a guy who pushed .358 bullets through a Lee .355" cast bullet sizer die using that messy ALOX. All I know is I mic'ed a few and they were right where they needed to be.

Just a $12.00 idea for those that don't like the .355" options
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Never been a bullet maker but I know a guy who pushed .358 bullets through a Lee .355" cast bullet sizer die using that messy ALOX. All I know is I mic'ed a few and they were right where they needed to be.

Yes Sir !!.....I built a specialized S&W 559 9MM just for shooting bowling pins at "Second Chance"
    I used a mold modified hollow base wad cutter to come out at 162 grains, and sized it to .354 to
    help keep pressure down for the powder used.....i also created a simple push die to squeeze down
    the 125 gr. Winchester hollow points to .355. 9mm bullets were hard to get at the time, and the
    .357 bullets were dirt cheap at the time.

For the 400 Legend and it's low velocities, You could size down .41 Magnum bullets fairly easy.
    Lots of good and available bullet options for the 41 Mag.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

While working with my bolt action 450 Bushmaster, I resized a number of my heavy 45-70 cast and jacketed bullets from .458 to .452 using two Lee bullet sizing dies. worked great and I was able to work up some real T-Rex killer loads in the bolt action (475 gr WFN GC, 1875 fps). Working with the 450 BM in the AR platform eliminates the use of the really heavy bullets. I can't load more than 325 grain in the semi-auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

Great idea!