Thread: a little "treasure" for my .300 Savage

Team Savage

a little "treasure" for my .300 Savage

Last fall, I picked up five boxes of new-old-stock brass for my Van Horn .300 Savage. It was branded as Herter's and packed in 20-round boxes. Well, I finally got around to checking it out today. The quality is impressive. Weight-to-weight variations are minuscule, flash holes are uniform, there are no dinged or out-of-round necks and absolutely no issues that I could detect. I did add just a hint more of a chamfer, but there was no need to deburr as the exteriors of the case mouths are perfectly smooth.It was ready to load as-is.

I have a few loaded up to check and see how if I need to make any adjustments in the powder charge. This Herter's brass was made in Finland and -- coincidentally -- has the same internal capacity as the .308 WCF Lapua cases that I reformed to .300 Savage.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post

Last fall, I picked up five boxes of new-old-stock brass for my Van Horn .300 Savage. It was branded as Herter's and packed in 20-round boxes. Well, I finally got around to checking it out today. The quality is impressive. Weight-to-weight variations are minuscule, flash holes are uniform, there are no dinged or out-of-round necks and absolutely no issues that I could detect. I did add just a hint more of a chamfer, but there was no need to deburr as the exteriors of the case mouths are perfectly smooth.It was ready to load as-is.

I have a few loaded up to check and see how if I need to make any adjustments in the powder charge. This Herter's brass was made in Finland and -- coincidentally -- has the same internal capacity as the .308 WCF Lapua cases that I reformed to .300 Savage.
    Sure is nice when you get to work with quality products

Team Savage
    Yes, it is!

Herter’s as a kid I would wait for their catalog to come every year, wore out the pages. They predate cabelas, bass pro.

Nice, unique find.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    Herter’s as a kid I would wait for their catalog to come every year, wore out the pages. They predate cabelas, bass pro.
    Me too.
    1964 and 5 they got every cent of my trapping money.
    Good picture Bobby. I've still got some brand new Herters brass from the 60's. I'm not sure but I think Norma made it for them those days.

Basic Member
    When Herters left there wasn't anything else that could compare cost/quality wise.

Team Savage
    Everything was "The Worlds Finest" and it was. I bought a lot of stuff from them in the 50's and 60's, when did they go out of business? Still have and use some Herters reloading dies.

I think they went out of business early to mid 70s. I remember visiting the store. They had an impressive amount of taxidermy mounts. Full size pollar bear. I had one of there recurve bows.