Thread: 110 Storm Action Length?

110 Storm Action Length?

I'm looking to rebarrel a 110 Storm from 300 WSM to 6.5 Remington Magnum. Before I make the plunge and go buy a new rifle, I just want to make sure that the WSM chambered rifle has a true short action magnum action, and not a standard length one. Thanks for all the replies and info ladies and gents and others.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Magnum Fan View Post
    I'm looking to rebarrel a 110 Storm from 300 WSM to 6.5 Remington Magnum. Before I make the plunge and go buy a new rifle, I just want to make sure that the WSM chambered rifle has a true short action magnum action, and not a standard length one. Thanks for all the replies and info ladies and gents and others.
    The best way to make absolutely sure is to measure the action screw spacing. BUT, i have had 3 savage 300 WSM's and all are short action.

Thanks for the info :)

The WSM's use a standard short-action which would have either the 4.275" (stagger feed) or 4.40" (center-feed) screw spacing depending on when it was made (WSM's came out in 2000 or 2001 IIRC). The old (Gen1) short actions made from 1958-1987 were an "intermediate" length action and had a 4.522" action screw spacing and would be the best option for what you are wanting to do, BUT.....those actions used the old staggered-feed magazines and finding those mags and followers is like looking for a needle in a haystack these days. Stocks for that screw spacing are also only available from one or two sources, so no chassis options or modern synthetics like a McMillan, Manners, Choate, etc.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

All that said I would recommend building on a long-action receiver as it will make life a lot easier for you. The screw spacing has always remained the same on those so stock options are limitless, and even if you start with an older stagger feed action you can easily adapt it to the newer center feed magazine system. Only caveat would be that I'm not 100% sure if you could switch to the newer center-feed mags with a controlled round feed action and retain the CRF - you may have to convert it to a push-feed bolt head.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain