Thread: Modify a 4.40" stock to fit a 4.275" action

Modify a 4.40" stock to fit a 4.275" action

I see very few options to replace my 4.275" receiver tupperware stock. It's a 2005 era model 12 varmint SA blind mag. I'm replacing the barrel with a 20 Practical magnum sporter contour, and replacing the blind mag with a DBM.

But there are some good stocks for 4.40" receivers.

It seems any Bell & Carlson or Boyd's stock simply needs the front receiver screw hole moved back 0.125". (Reduce the distance from 4.40" to 4.275"). Basically drill or grind a new hole through the aluminum bedding block or wood, partially overlaping the old hole. A few minutes with a round file? It doesn't even need to be pretty since the detachable bottom metal covers it up. Atlas makes DBM that fits both 4.275" and 4.400" via an ofset bushing that can be flipped around. A little JB Weld filler in the old hole if needed. I'll probably bed the action with Marine Tex anyways.

Seems very simple. Is there any reason this wouldn't work on Bell & Carlson or Boyd's stock? I've done a lot of searching and I don't see any discussion about this.

If it were me I would probably fill in the existing front hole in the stock with JB weld or similar to make it much, much easier to drill the new hole. The screw size is 1/4" so the hole isn't much more than that, and we're only talking moving the hole half of that (1/8") so the tip of your bit would be right on the edge of the old hole and just want to push into the old hole. Or you could just use a course 1/4" rat-tail file to elongate the existing hole rearward.

I've also seen a few people drill out the factory pillar and then make a new one with the hole off-set to move it the required 1/8".
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Yes, it seems it would be easier to first elongate the old hole with a file. Then fill in the old hole with JB Weld later if necessary, but it wouldn't seem "nesessary" given the remaining surface area of the aluminum bedding block.

It will work, depending on how it’s currently set up. I have done it on a few stocks.

If it currently has a pillar then I would recommend just opening the hole up and bedding a new pillar in the desired location.

If it is a full bedding block then the hole can just be elongated. Actually did just that on a B&C Medalist a couple months ago. I elongated the front hole since it is an aluminum bedding block and not a single pillar. I could’ve filled in the excess area but chose to leave it so it will fit either screw spacing. The only other thing we did was since it was a larger(longer) hole was we used a small washer with the action screw.

Last edited by pdog06; 03-27-2024 at 08:19 PM.

Basic Member
    From what you guys have said it seems all the other locations are marked off the rear screw, ie, recoil lug, bolt handle location, mag opening, etc.

If so, it would open up a lot of options for the different screw spacings. Just about any stock would work with the front screw being relocated?

If so, it would open up a lot of options for the different screw spacings. Just about any stock would work with the front screw being relocated?
    It seems YES, like pdog06's green B&C stock above. If you can drill a new hole or elongate the old one, you can convert any 4.40" into 4.275" stock. You might need to add a pillar for some stocks, or fill in the old hole (or cover it with a washer) to make it pretty.

Most bottom metals won't work unless you also modify the bottom metal for the new screw location. The Axisworx DBM works because they include a bushing that works with both 4.40" and 4.275".

That’s correct. Everything else is in the same locations between the 4.4 and 4.275 actions.

The target action with the 3.44” screw spacing is different however. The action itself is the same length but the front and rear screws both have been relocated and allows for a full rear pillar instead of the notched one.

Pdog's on point with the info above.

One note I'll make just so someone doesn't mistakenly apply the above thinking to their Gen1 short-action is that the Gen1 actions with the 4.522" screw spacing are 0.310" longer in overall length than the later Gen2 (4.275") and Gen3 (4.40") actions.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain