Thread: Problem Installing Barrel in Short Action

Problem Installing Barrel in Short Action

Bought a factory Savage varmint weight barrel on eBay. It came in yesterday; I already had the old barrel removed from my action and had that all cleaned up; old barrel had the smooth barrel nut, so I used the pipe wrench to remove it. All went well with that until I had to clamp the old barrel in my shop vise to get the smooth barrel nut off with the pipe wrench it was so tight.

For the replacement barrel I used a standard barrel nut I had on hand. NOW the start of REAL problems. The nut would NOT screw all the way on the barrel. It would go on about 1/4" and then seize up? I tried the smooth nut too; it would not go on either w/o using the pipe wrench. The new replacement barrel would not screw into the action w/o jamming up right near the front scope base screw and will not move any further w/o using a lot of force. I've checked the action and barrel threads closely and cannot see any damage to the threads. What really blew me away was the OLD barrel will no longer thread back in and jams up just like the replacement barrel.

My question to Dave or anyone else is, what course of action is there to fix this (if any). Could the old smooth nut have caused all the problems? In 15 years of rebarreling Savages I've never run into this. I'm totally stumped.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

-Once you broke the smooth nut loose did the barrel unscrew out of the action normally? Like you could do it easily by hand I mean?

If the slotted nut wouldn’t thread on the new barrel, and that nut wasn’t on the existing action, then something has to be wrong with the new barrel threads. Which could also be why the old barrel will no longer go back on the action as well. I’m wondering if the new barrels thread were wrong, and you messed up the action threads when trying to the new barrel into it?
    Last edited by pdog06; 03-26-2024 at 05:37 PM.

Have to agree with pdog, sounds like one item had some bad threads (new barrel most likely) and it messed up the threads on the other bits when you tried threading on the nuts or it into the action.

Expensive solution would be to purchase a tap and die set (4D Reamers may rent them as well). Other option would be to have a gunsmith chuck them up in his lathe and check/chase them.

Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens to the best of us. Just last month I buggered up the threads on the engine case mounting boss of a brand new motorcycle with just 3 miles on the clock. I had a heck of a time running a chasing tap in from the rear to clean them up as access on the back side where the threads were still good was super tight. I could rotate the wrench maybe 1/8 turn or so at a time and the threaded bore was just shy of 1-1/4" in total length. Suffice to say it took me a while! lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	10564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	10565
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    At some point, on either gun there was probably a piece of blasting media buried in the threads. The shot blast media seems to get into places you wouldn't think they could, but once they get bound up in the threads it effects both the barrel and the receiver. Lucky for me I have a tap and a die to clean them up.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Have to agree with pdog, sounds like one item had some bad threads (new barrel most likely) and it messed up the threads on the other bits when you tried threading on the nuts or it into the action.

Expensive solution would be to purchase a tap and die set (4D Reamers may rent them as well). Other option would be to have a gunsmith chuck them up in his lathe and check/chase them.

Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens to the best of us. Just last month I buggered up the threads on the engine case mounting boss of a brand new motorcycle with just 3 miles on the clock. I had a heck of a time running a chasing tap in from the rear to clean them up as access on the back side where the threads were still good was super tight. I could rotate the wrench maybe 1/8 turn or so at a time and the threaded bore was just shy of 1-1/4" in total length. Suffice to say it took me a while! lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	10564 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	10565
    I've been thinking that having a local gunsmith chase the threads and will look into 4D rental. I used them a few years ago when the throats in my Ruger Blackhawk cylinder were way too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    At some point, on either gun there was probably a piece of blasting media buried in the threads. The shot blast media seems to get into places you wouldn't think they could, but once they get bound up in the threads it effects both the barrel and the receiver. Lucky for me I have a tap and a die to clean them up.
    Yes, the threads were loaded with it and rust. The barrel was not easy to unscrew. I ended up using a garden glove with rubber fingers and palm to get a hold on the barrel to unscrew it. I cleaned the threads well and copper wire brushed them thinking all was good.

it's very common for the front base screw to damage barrel threads also when there to long.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Sometimes it is as simple as carefully sanding the OD of the barrel threads. If you had a good 1"-2" micrometer and it measured close to 1.062 or larger that could be the problem. Some guys who cut threads leave metal that is pushed up and it makes the major diameter oversized. Example, I cut the major diameter of an od thread to a few under the nominal size. Then I cut the threads to the correct pitch diameter. I will clean up the thread with a kratex bar then measure the OD again. If it is oversized, I will go back with scotchbright or sandpaper and clean it up until I reclaim my original dimension. There are threading inserts that eliminate that burr/proud metal if you are willing to spend the money.

It may not be what I describe but it is an easy process to eliminate.

Good Luck GaCop
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    it's very common for the front base screw to damage barrel threads also when there to long.
    Yes, checked that but not a problem.

I'm sending the faulty barrel back to the seller on eBay. I found an X-Caliber 308 bull barrel that Apache Gun Works is selling also on eBay and got that for a very good price. I'll have a local gun smith chase the threads on Model 11 receiver. Thanks all.

Basic Member
    I had the same problem with an Axis. The bluing salts or whatever the little beads are caused me to bugger the action threads a bit while removing the old barrel. I was finally able to use the old barrel to dress the threads enough for the new barrel to fit. As a last resort there is a tool to dress the internal threads of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    I had the same problem with an Axis. The bluing salts or whatever the little beads are caused me to bugger the action threads a bit while removing the old barrel. I was finally able to use the old barrel to dress the threads enough for the new barrel to fit. As a last resort there is a tool to dress the internal threads of the action.
    I tried that and darned near got that barrel stuck in the action.

This action problem has been bugging me so I took another look at the action threads. I've now learned that visual clean doesn't mean REALLY clean. I went to work on the action threads with a 50 cal bore brush and bore cleaner again. This time I also used tooth picks and jewelers screw drivers. I used the side of the bore brush chucked into my Dremel on low speed to get into the grooves, then tooth pics, and finally the use of the flat blade screwdriver. Two cleanings like that and I finally got the original factory barrel to screw all the way into the receiver. Action is now ready for the X-Caliber I bought on eBay from Apache. Persistence does pay off in the long run.

Team Savage

Good news!

Wow you had a lot of stubborn gunk in there then! Good job being persistent and getting it all out.

Congratulation. Persistence can pay off. Welcome hom GI. I got to RVN a couple month before you left.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    Congratulation. Persistence can pay off. Welcome home GI. I got to RVN a couple month before you left.

The Barrel from Jim LOVES 168 gr Gold Medal Match ammo. .600" so far at 100 yards and no indication of copper fouling in the barrel after 40 rounds. Now to find a good 175 grain handload. This barrel doesn't care for 175 GMM at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    The Barrel from Jim LOVES 168 gr Gold Medal Match ammo. .600" so far at 100 yards and no indication of copper fouling in the barrel after 40 rounds. Now to find a good 175 grain handload. This barrel doesn't care for 175 GMM at all.
    GaCop, There are a lot of great powders for the 175's with that 1:10 twist you can even shoot the 185 or. What do you have?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I'm sending the faulty barrel back to the seller on eBay. I found an X-Caliber 308 bull barrel that Apache Gun Works is selling also on eBay and got that for a very good price. I'll have a local gun smith chase the threads on Model 11 receiver. Thanks all.
    Is this Jim (James) Skinner, of Apache Gun Works fame ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    GaCop, There are a lot of great powders for the 175's with that 1:10 twist you can even shoot the 185 or. What do you have?
    All I have at the moment are 175 gr SMKs. They seem to shoot better with Varget rather than 748.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Is this Jim (James) Skinner, of Apache Gun Works fame ?
    Yes it is.

Basic Member
    I have thread files that I use to clean barrel threads. You can't really use them on a nut or receiver but you can repair somewhat external threads very easy. I have used them for years when I was a millwright.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    I have thread files that I use to clean barrel threads. You can't really use them on a nut or receiver but you can repair somewhat external threads very easy. I have used them for years when I was a millwright.
    They do come in handy once in awhile, don't use mine often either, but for those times when needed I'm glad they're in my toolbox.