Thread: Old Timers Favorite Grease

Team Savage

Old Timers Favorite Grease

I have always been a big fan of grease especially for internal bolt parts, lugs etc. Firing pin assemblies and greasing firing pin throats will always get atention. My old school philosophy is if I cannot see it, grease it.

My favorite has always been GUNSLICK grease. Ill age myself I know with a 1960's BrylCreem saying; butthe OL' GUNSLICK is truly is "a little dab'll do ya" product. Back in 1969 when the Western Auto Store closed its doors in Marion Iowa. My brother and I picked up their remaining boxes (tunes) of GUNSLICK for our pheasant 20 gauges.

You know its a good product when they put a winder bar on the closed end of the tube. Don't get those these days!

This morning around 5 AM in the gun room I opened my last box.

What kind of gun grease do you guys use?

[IMG][/IMG]

I keep a syringe-style stick of Shooter's Choice High-Tech Grease in my cleaning bag, but only place I really use it is a small dab between the lugs of the bolt head and bolt body, and a dab on the cocking piece pin shaft where it rides the ramp in the bolt body. Only other lubrication I use is I will spray a light coat of CLP on the firing pin assembly and wipe the excess off with a rag. I don't like grease on the pin assembly as it can affect the lock time as it thickens up in colder temperatures.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I keep a syringe-style stick of Shooter's Choice High-Tech Grease in my cleaning bag, but only place I really use it is a small dab between the lugs of the bolt head and bolt body, and a dab on the cocking piece pin shaft where it rides the ramp in the bolt body. Only other lubrication I use is I will spray a light coat of CLP on the firing pin assembly and wipe the excess off with a rag. I don't like grease on the pin assembly as it can affect the lock time as it thickens up in colder temperatures.
    Great stuff Mr. Baker (sorry dont know your first name!)

I forgot to mention, the beauty of the old grease is its temperature friendly. We used it many times on our Sunday .22 short & long rifle rabbit shooting competitions. Temps often were -15F to 15F in late Jan to middle of Feb. Nice thing at those temps it was "kinda" cold due high pressure, and usually and the wind was still.

Why did we hunt so cold? Simple answer is; Sunday was the only day we got a few hour break on the farm so you usually took whatever the weather threw at you. Besides cold temps were worked in no matter; thus we played in it also! Would I do it today...NOPE : don't do frozen nose bubbles anymore! Ha!

Team Savage
    I use Permatex Ultra Lube brake parts lube.
    0.5oz tube #85188
    Temperature Range: -40°F to 400°F (-40° to 204°C)
    Leave visible amount on lug to baffle surface, and the Cocking pin.
    Apply to other areas then wipe off. Don't think there is enough left to gum up.
    Show me a harsher application than disk brake parts
    https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/brake-lubricants/permatex-ultra-disc-brake-caliper-lubricant-5-oz/

Basic Member
    I rarely use grease at all. Mostly dry lubes (windy and sandy out here). I do use a dab of moly grease on the Garand bolt 'ear'.

Team Savage

I only use grease on the lugs, nowhere else. Years ago Sinclair sold a red synthetic grease in a plastic syringe (now NLA) that was very easy to get just the right amount where you want. That one syringe will outlast me.