Thread: Aftermarket bolt handle

Aftermarket bolt handle

After a previous post a month ago about older 93 models I gave up and am sticking with MKii only. Ive got an older 93 in 22 mag, a new MKii in 22mag with wood stock, no accurized trigger, a new MKii in 22lr with accuried trigger and plastic stock, and my pride and joy the zombie green Boyds stocked 22lr with accurized trigger. I will be working on the 22 mag wood stock and upgrading the trigger. The green 22 lr is of course from wally world, but for $$399 with a boyds ($243 from boyds) accurized trigger, basic 3x9 scope, AND custom bolt handle, cant beat it. Why cant I find any bolts with barrel handles thru Savage or any other manufacture? Anyone know of bolts that dont cost half of the cost of the rifle? Where does Savage get their bolts and why dont they market them to people who want to upgrade?

Need help in Idaho

What exactly are you referring to when you say "barrel handle?" Do you mean bolt assembly with the custom bolt handle?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    First of all, the Savage rimfires do NOT have interchangeable bolt handles. The bolt handles are permanently attached to the bolt body and are part of the headspacing system.
    It is possible however to make the knob bigger or longer by machining and threading the existing knob and attaching another.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    What exactly are you referring to when you say "barrel handle?" Do you mean bolt assembly with the custom bolt handle?
    Correct, my walmart zombie green has a bolt with an attached end to the handle thats shaped likea 3/4 in round 3/4 in tall "barrel or cylinder"endto the handle. very nice. someone had to produce these for svage to put on the mk ii action. the bbl is also threaded. i know thatthere are aftermarket handle ends that are polymer and sandwiched around the ball shaped end.

You have a Mk II BVXP-SR. They come with a threaded barrel, large bolt knob and Boyd's stock. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=20720

As with all MK IIs, the knob is integral to the bolt.

If you want your other MK IIs to have a large bolt knob, the original bolt knob must first be machine off and the bolt handle shank needs to be threaded 5/16-24. Once this is done, there are lots of knob options to screw on to the bolt handle shank. Plug "bolt knobs" in to your favorite search engine.

Threading the bolt handle shank is probably going to cost $75 and up. This is a somewhat tricky lathe operation that requires a proper fixture and a machinist with patience and OCD. The knobs usually start at around $30.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Quote Originally Posted by basqueman49 View Post
    Correct, my walmart zombie green has a bolt with an attached end to the handle thats shaped likea 3/4 in round 3/4 in tall "barrel or cylinder"endto the handle. very nice. someone had to produce these for svage to put on the mk ii action. the bbl is also threaded. i know thatthere are aftermarket handle ends that are polymer and sandwiched around the ball shaped end.

KRG
    Kinetic Research Group

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/pro...ory/bolt-lift/

I am only telling you a maker of such. It is up to you to determine if it fits. You could fill gaps with epoxy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.