Thread: Encore “carbine” in 6.5 CM

Encore “carbine” in 6.5 CM

I had intended to set up an Encore carbine in 6.5 Grendel for awhile but ran across this Bullberry 20” 6.5 Creedmoor with Contender style tophats and hanger bar, in addition to the 2 modified forends. I’ve not had an opportunity to shoot it yet, even though I did have it at the range last weekend, but I’m looking forward to doing so soon.

I have heard of a few Encore barrels being set up with tophats but never actually saw any until this one. Barrel locks up like a vault and the forend is totally clear of any contact.

The forend work is nicely done.

Team Savage
    That is a nice rig and should be a sweet shooter! I have a Savage bolt rifle in 6.5 CM but have only worked with it minimally. The only powder I have tried has been TAC. It's given good velocities and accuracy with both the 120 grain Nosler BT and 115 grain Barnes Tac-Tx. But it's heavy and a bit unwieldy for me. I am guessing your setup handles like a dream! I will anxiously await your range reports.

Thanks, Bobby. It does handle amazingly well, especially compared to our front end heavy 28” 7/08. I have a pile of 120 and 140 NBT’s and 143 ELDX’s, but im leaning toward the 120’s. I’m even curious how the Sierra 120 TGK’s would perform. Possibly the velocity will be a bit high for them, but with the shorter barrel, it’ll lose some speed. I’ll probably try them or the 130 gr.

For starters I will send some factory loads down range. It’s sure been awhile since I’ve done much with long guns, so this should be interesting.

Team Savage
    BT Thank you for posting this Now I know what I have.. I have an SS Encore rifle barrel that has dual dove tail grooves to close together to make sense, the groove at the chamber end has been filled and then drilled and taped for a regular rifle encore forend screw as well as the usual forward screw, I have puzzled over this for 25 years, I think I even have the proper forend hard ware for it SOMEWHERE ????? hope I did not get rid of it. Thank you thank you

Sunny, can you post some photos of your barrel?

Team Savage
    HA HA I can send you an email...post pictures LOL sometimes I surprise myself and pull it off, Not often

sent you a PM

Basic Member
    you'll like the 6.5CM, i did. mine were 15", 16 1/4" and 23" MGM heavy factory barrels. powderwise, i'd use Superformance powder. i would use 120gr Nosler BT and Hornady SST and 140gr Nosler BT and Hornady SST for deer. it was either 120 or 140gr Hornady Amax (i have to check) just for fun. every barrel could go under 1" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench) no matter what weight or brand. i killed several deer, but not at long ranges. 125ish yards was the longest, 30 - 40 yards was average.

brass should not be an issue, back when i first bought it (2008 or 09) i had to make 22-250 brass into 6.5/22-250 CM brass. it was a little short on OAL (.02 or .002" short) but it shot great.

at the time, i didn't think that the CM would be a flash in the pan, boy was i wrong!!! everybody and their brother has or had the CM. i was getting tired of the 6.5CM, so i sold it and bought a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 500 Linebaugh. it is one rifle that i have never blooded. but it shoots great 3/4 - 1 1/4" at 100 yards with 450gr LFN GC and HS-6.

Todd, I agree, it’s a great cartridge. We have a couple bolt guns chambered in it. I have plenty of components, but haven’t loaded for it yet. Back when we got the other rifles, I bought a couple boxes of Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr. ELDX to try. 3/4” groups immediately, so I grabbed several more boxes of the stuff and so far that’s all we’ve used since we don’t actually shoot them very much. I’ll start load development for the Bullberry soon, however.

Basic Member
    Fred set up all of his Encore barrels with dovetails for his hanger system. I'm not sure what Troy is doing. I just received a new SSK barrels two days ago which is holes drilled and taped into the barrel. On those I like Tony's pillar bedded forends. That Bullberry should be a sweet shooter for you.