Thread: Feeding my favorite...

Team Savage

Feeding my favorite...

Spent a little time in the loading room today, and I now have a batch of ammo ready for my 24" 6.5 Bullberry. Shooter's World Precision powder, CCI-200 primers and brand-new Starline 30-30 brass along with the Sierra 120 grain tipped GameChanger comprise the recipe for this new load.

So far, this load has been exceptionally accurate, and I can't wait for a local piggie to present itself. A couple days ago, with the slightest of breezes coming in from my right, I fired the 3-shot, 200 yard group below. Shot #1 and #3 virtually overlapped, and you have to look closely to see that two bullets passed through that spot on the target. I could not tell where #3 landed through my scope and didn't figure it out until I drove up to the target berm (and put my glasses on ha ha). I know there was tons of luck involved with this group, but hey, I'll take it.

The scope on my 6.5BB is a Noblex (Docter) N4 Vario 2.5-10x50. It does not have PA or side focus, adding yet another degree of luck into the mix for the group as it is parallax-corrected for 100 meters.

Team Savage
    Feed mine today too, new fav's 14" 226 JDJ, 20" 6.5 JDJ, Old fav's 15" 30-06, 12" 30 Badger, Not so fav's today 8" 218 Bee, 20" 6.5-30-30 AI they need more time at the bench,

Bobby, I'll be waiting on the next pic of the 6.5 Bullberry's next outings preformance

Bobby, I always took the accuracy of that barrel for granted but I never got it dialled in that well! :)
    I always said it didn't seem to matter much what bullet you put down the tube. It seemed to go from sub-MOA to 1/2 and 1/4 MOA with just about any load development. I only ever had a basic hunting scope on it...I think I ran a 4-12X Bushnell Trophy so I suppose just having better optics adds a little shine but you have, predictably, been able to make that barrel do amazing things. :)

I didn’t know you had a favorite. lol Great shooting. Looks like you’re going to be pleased with those Sierra’s. I haven’t ordered any yet but probably should so I have some if I ever need them.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    I didn’t know you had a favorite. lol
    I think this is the first time in a few years that I have declared a favorite. From 1997 to a couple years ago, that honor belonged to the 7mm Bullberry. The Van Horn 30-30 barrel likely would have been next in line for "favorite," but both it and the 7mm BB have been passed on to the kids. As to this 6.5 BB, like JA mentioned above, you'd have to work hard to make it shoot poorly. It's worn several different stocks, a variety of scopes and has taken game with about a half-dozen different bullets, including the 115 grain Barnes Tac-TX, 120 grain Nosler BT, the 123 grain ELD-M, 123 grain SST, 129 grain Hornady SP and 130 grain Accubond. I've used 4320, H4895, AA2495, AA4064, Varget and SW Precision -- and all with good results. It's just one of those rare barrels that never disappoints.

I'm really glad that you have that barrel but when you get bored with it, I'll be very happy to make a place for it back in my collection. :D

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    I'm really glad that you have that barrel but when you get bored with it, I'll be very happy to make a place for it back in my collection. :D
    If I ever decide to move it on, rest assured you'd get first shot at it before it got listed. At times I get the hankering for another .25 cal, but then I get back to reality and realize I haven't even worked much with the .270x.225 VH. What I need to do is stop looking at the classifieds ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    If I ever decide to move it on, rest assured you'd get first shot at it before it got listed. At times I get the hankering for another .25 cal, but then I get back to reality and realize I haven't even worked much with the .270x.225 VH. What I need to do is stop looking at the classifieds ha ha.
    Ain't that the truth!

I really do feel like I have pretty much everything that I'm interested in having at this point (just got the DVH 357 Mag carbine barrel and that one's got me very psyched!). I may yet have a .17 rimfire pistol barrel but every time I look into any of the newer chamberings - Whisper, Legend, Buckhammer variations - I just don't find much reason to get very excited.

Before you go finding another 25 cal to buy, just borrow my 25 Bullberry to play with for a while. That'll either whet your appetite to go looking for something or satisfy your hankering enough to make you stop. :)

I will say that there was a 257x225 carbine barrel on that DVH list that piqued my interest for a minute but between my 25-45 and the 25 Bullberry, that one would be superfluous. It might be an excellent replacement for the 25 Bullberry but scarcer and more expensive brass and dies for it make it less attractive.

Team Savage
    I've been eyeballing that 25-225 Imp barrel, Luckily for me it is polished SS I would be to afraid of scuffing it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.