Thread: 110 hog hunter 350 feed problem

Basic Member

110 hog hunter 350 feed problem

I have a feeding problem with my 110 hog hunter 350. Either the bolt rides over the cartridge not feeding, or the round tips up, jamming on the top of the chamber mouth.

Tried the mag from my flawless Axis, same thing. Tried the mag from my 110 in my Axis, no problems.

Ideas? I already emailed Savage.

Banned
    Try opening the feed lips of the magazine a little.

I get that you swapped mags and they both function fine in the Axis, while failing in the 110. They are two different rifles. It could be that the stock is grabbing the magazine too low. But very likely it’s a case of tolerance stacking.

Basic Member
    I think upon close examination what is happening is that the cartridge is leaving the feed lips before it has started into the chamber.

Banned
    Hmm, I that’s interesting. It doesn’t account for the Bolt riding over the round though. That can only be caused by the round sitting too low. Either in the magazine (feed lip adjustment) or the mag held too low in the stock. One other thing: You said you tried the mag from your Axis? Is it also chambered in 350 Legend? If not, I would not expect it to work. The 350 Legend magazine from Savage is pretty strange lol design. The lips are farther forward than others for bottle neck cartridges & there is a cutout portion of the lips in the back where the block is.

This the same mag you have for yours? (The feel lip design is crucial)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Hmm, I that’s interesting. It doesn’t account for the Bolt riding over the round though. That can only be caused by the round sitting too low. Either in the magazine (feed lip adjustment) or the mag held too low in the stock. One other thing: You said you tried the mag from your Axis? Is it also chambered in 350 Legend? If not, I would not expect it to work. The 350 Legend magazine from Savage is pretty strange lol design. The lips are farther forward than others for bottle neck cartridges & there is a cutout portion of the lips in the back where the block is.

This the same mag you have for yours? (The feel lip design is crucial)
    Yes, same mag both rifles, both 350. That's what has me perplexed, I see no reason for the glitch. The failure to pick up a round, I think was mag not seated right in rear. Hasn't happened again.

Basic Member
    Problem seems to be how the rear tab on the mag locks into the rifle.

Basic Member
    I had the same problem with my axis 350. Every time I shot the mag dropped at the back just enough to keep the next round from being grabbed. I tried to bend the little tab at the back and snapped it right off. I thought buying a new mag would be my only hope until finding out they do not exist to purchase without spending 100.00. I found a thread on here that led me to solder a tab onto the mag to hold it in better. That fixed it. Now my mag is rock solid on every shot and it is feeding correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5294.jpg   IMG_9003.jpg  

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmar View Post
    I had the same problem with my axis 350. Every time I shot the mag dropped at the back just enough to keep the next round from being grabbed. I tried to bend the little tab at the back and snapped it right off. I thought buying a new mag would be my only hope until finding out they do not exist to purchase without spending 100.00. I found a thread on here that led me to solder a tab onto the mag to hold it in better. That fixed it. Now my mag is rock solid on every shot and it is feeding correctly.
    This is it. Now I gotta figure out how to fix it.

Banned
    Great fix Tmar! I forgot all about some doing that.

Basic Member
    Savage is sending a new mag. Hopefully that works and allows the flexibility to modify the original.

This has become a rather common issue with Savage's with plastic stocks that have the rear magazine hanger molded into the stock. I have run into it on most every one of Savage's platforms - the various rimfire platforms, 110's, Axis's, etc. all can suffer from it. Like most issues with a Savage, it's a matter of stacked production tolerances. The folded over tab on the rear of the magazine might be on the short side of the allowable tolerance, and the hanger block molded into the stock may be on the low side of the allowable height or thickness, and combined they result in the bolt skimming over the top of the magazine without stripping a round.

Another issue with the .350 Legend specifically is that Savage is using standard .223 magazines for this round. While the cartridges are very similar in size, the .350 Legend is slightly larger in body base diameter which results in it sitting slightly lower in the magazine than a .223 case would. This leaves less of the case head protruding above the magazine lips for the bolt head to catch on, thus creating another variable in this particular feeding situation.

Good luck getting it sorted. The mag Savage is sending you will be fresh from the parts bin and not "adjusted" to your rifle like the one that came with it was. As such you may need to adjust the feed lips slightly to dial it in to your particular rifle. That's just the norm for magazine housings made from spring steel. You can make a make-shift tool using a set of pliers with the jaws wrapped with several layers of electrical tap to pad them, or you can buy a cheap set of tinners pliers/sheet metal seamers and trim them down to a length that's compatible with the magazine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    This is why I buy hunting rifles in spring. If adjustment is needed, it can be done without shivering.

Basic Member
    New mag came, same thing. What's happening is that the shelf the rear mag catch it supposed to grab is a hair too low. Unless I hold the bottom of the mag, cycling the bolt pushes it down low enough that it rides over the case head and won't pick up a round.

Banned
    Just making sure… is the Action fully seated against the stock bedding? Make certain it’s not being hung up just enough to prevent the round from being picked up?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Just making sure… is the Action fully seated against the stock bedding? Make certain it’s not being hung up just enough to prevent the round from being picked up?
    I thought about this. I'm going to re torque all the screws to 35 in/lb. I now have 3 mags that function fine in my Axis and 3 that don't in this. Conclusion is its not the mags.

Banned
    I would actually remove the screws and separate the barreled action from the stock. Check underneath to make sure there is no edge material or anything hanging up. Then reinstall & torque the screws.

I got a 110 xp in 350 legend and had the same issue. Called savage they sent me a magazine free of charge and problem solved, works great.