Thread: Picked up a 300 win mag Desert Tactical

Basic Member

Picked up a 300 win mag Desert Tactical

Just wanted to share the new one. Thoughts:

-It makes my teeth rattle.
    -this is the old non fluted style and u gotta get the desert model for this
    -MDT metal 5rnd mag is nice. Have to slap it in to seat it. I can single feed it just fine as well.
    -accutrigger is a bit gritty and creepy, first time for that feeling
    -round old style bolt knob, not that terrible big rectangle one! Pleasant surprise!
    -i added a griffin paladin brake, recoil is barely there, but the concussion is LOL.

6rnds through it. Last 3 are first group. Ppu 180gr SP factory ammo. Group measured .898" C to C.

Plans are.....1000+ yds with loud steel slapping noises, suppressed fire whenever my Resonator R2 clears, and probably an HS precision stock retrofit (even though these new accustocks are amazing)

Banned
    Very nice!

One thing I gotta ask. Creep….? With an Accutrigger? From all my years using them & dozens of other trigger systems, the Accutrigger has always seemed to me to have about the least creep of any factory trigger. Gritty, yes. And plenty of unwanted Overtravel. That’s for sure! They are usually full of burrs & uneven edges. But creep is a new one on me. Excessive creep is caused by too much Sear/Trigger surface contact, and added to by having a positive angle relationship. The Accutrigger has incredibly little Sear/Trigger surface engagement. So little in fact, it pretty much necessitated the use of the Safety Blade. And typically a neutral surface angle relationship. (Becoming negative with age) Just made me think about it reading your post.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Very nice!

One thing I gotta ask. Creep….? With an Accutrigger? From all my years using them & dozens of other trigger systems, the Accutrigger has always seemed to me to have about the least creep of any factory trigger. Gritty, yes. And plenty of unwanted Overtravel. That’s for sure! They are usually full of burrs & uneven edges. But creep is a new one on me. Excessive creep is caused by too much Sear/Trigger surface contact, and added to by having a positive angle relationship. The Accutrigger has incredibly little Sear/Trigger surface engagement. So little in fact, it pretty much necessitated the use of the Safety Blade. And typically a neutral surface angle relationship. (Becoming negative with age) Just made me think about it reading your post.

Yep, it moves a bit, gritty, then moves again and breaks. It's my 4th savage and the other 3 aren't like that. Is what it is, guess I gotta pull it out the stock and stone and fit it (or replace it)

Banned
    Yeah man.. pull that sucker apart. Possibly it’s got some nasty burr/flashing on the edges. Or one seriously inconsistent edge. Bet a few swipes on a stone would take care of that mess. (I didn’t notice before: You indicated it was the. First Time one feeling like that to you. so I got ya.)

That's a great report! I bought a Savage 300wm for myself for Christmas a couple months ago just cause I've always wanted one (300wm). I looked at the Desert Tactical model, and I like it a lot, but I wanted it more for hunting than anything slse so I went with the VSX model (Cabelas)...which has the Fluted barrel, cerakote and camo (non accustock) stock. It was on sale for a ridiculous price on Christmas Day and had been looking hard at it until then and the sale price that day made me buy it. (20% off if I remember, Christmas Day sale online...) It also came with a Vortex Diamondback scope 4-12, which I promptly removed.
    I installed a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 scope on it, adjusted down the factory trigger as much as I could (got it down to about 2.5 lbs.) and then put an Allen buttstock shell holder on it and cleaned the gunk out of the barrel with a few swabs. I took it to an indoor 25 yard range and got it close at 25 yards with 3 shots. Then took it out to the 100 yard range when we had a good weather day and shot 3 more shots to get it close at 100 (shots 4, 5 and 6). Then I shot 3 groups of 3. (Shots 7-9, 10-12 and 13-15 on the gun) I did adjust the scope slightly after each 3 shot group but I kind of wish I wouldn't have just to see what the overall NINE shot group would have been...I used my Silencerco Omega 30 suppressor (direct thread), and with the suppressor on it, it feels like shooting a .243. Hardly any kick at all. My groups were: .906, .653 and .562...back to back to back with no cooling in between. Below are pics of the rifle as shot (other than suppressor) and the 3 groups. Also...this is with FACTORY Hornady Whitetail 180 gr ammo. I do handload, but I like the fact that with these Savages I don't HAVE to handload....they are accurate out of the box with factory ammo.

Banned
    I still love what Navy Seal Sniper Chris Kyle said about the 300WinMag. In his book he quoted “The 300WinMag is in another class entirely.” He was quite fond of 300WM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RWA007 View Post
    That's a great report! I bought a Savage 300wm for myself for Christmas a couple months ago just cause I've always wanted one (300wm). I looked at the Desert Tactical model, and I like it a lot, but I wanted it more for hunting than anything slse so I went with the VSX model (Cabelas)...which has the Fluted barrel, cerakote and camo (non accustock) stock. It was on sale for a ridiculous price on Christmas Day and had been looking hard at it until then and the sale price that day made me buy it. (20% off if I remember, Christmas Day sale online...) It also came with a Vortex Diamondback scope 4-12, which I promptly removed.
    I installed a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 scope on it, adjusted down the factory trigger as much as I could (got it down to about 2.5 lbs.) and then put an Allen buttstock shell holder on it and cleaned the gunk out of the barrel with a few swabs. I took it to an indoor 25 yard range and got it close at 25 yards with 3 shots. Then took it out to the 100 yard range when we had a good weather day and shot 3 more shots to get it close at 100 (shots 4, 5 and 6). Then I shot 3 groups of 3. (Shots 7-9, 10-12 and 13-15 on the gun) I did adjust the scope slightly after each 3 shot group but I kind of wish I wouldn't have just to see what the overall NINE shot group would have been...I used my Silencerco Omega 30 suppressor (direct thread), and with the suppressor on it, it feels like shooting a .243. Hardly any kick at all. My groups were: .906, .653 and .562...back to back to back with no cooling in between. Below are pics of the rifle as shot (other than suppressor) and the 3 groups. Also...this is with FACTORY Hornady Whitetail 180 gr ammo. I do handload, but I like the fact that with these Savages I don't HAVE to handload....they are accurate out of the box with factory ammo.

ETA: stoned the sear and trigger, cleaned the edges and did like a .001" corner break and WOWWWW it's good now. Def some slight burr on the edges. Omg it's wild good now.

Good shooter! Nice groups. I am hopeful that mine gets better and better.

The 300wm is a powerhouse.....this will be my forever "BIG gun". I'll be taking it out some tomorrow to continue shooting the factory ammo for break in, and then I'll start loading some 190/208 pills :)

Yeah, factory ammo and sub moa for $800 in a 30 cal, with hardly any recoil....take that Remington!

Basic Member
    - put a nice 4.5-30 Athalon on it
    -Found a node for 190s.
    -The resonator R2 came in...SOOOO much nicer!

A good looking thumper.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    208 ELDM, first group!

Basic Member
    Guys, I ordered a choate LA staggered feed stock off midway. I am aware it's blind bottom. I also did some searching and I see the guy on here that used to do custom magwell inletting has passed away .

I am a machinist and I am going to work on inletting the stock for the new AICS 3.850 mag magwell. The only difference btn 4rnd detachable mag and the AICS bottom metal seems to be the deph of machining.

I have a spare SA detachable mag stock and AICS SA stock/ bottom metal and I can measure the new AICS stock and bottom metal and get the depth I need for both SA and LA retrofits in the future.

Hopefully I can offer that service for guys in the future. I'm building a garage for a machine shop at home as we speak :)

Was just over at Scheels and they had one of these Desert Tactical 300wm rifles out on display. Very nice rifle, and looks like you are getting yours dialed in!

Basic Member
    Stock is in and Inletted :)

Ok, just TQd it in, and adjusted the mag feed lips to bring the round up and feed in smoother, and it's good to go group test!