Thread: Not too shabby

Basic Member

Not too shabby

Greetings.

Rifle, scope, hunter “accuracy” puts the correct bullet where it’s supposed to be. IMHO, that moves rifle / load accuracy way up in priority.

First, 2 quick notes about my post. 1) Have purchased this rifle, dedicated to LR Coyote hunting. Nothing else. A heavy (all up 11+ lbs.) Savage Low Profile in .243 Win. Nosler 90 gr Accubond with H4350 / CCI LR BR-2 primer. Zeiss Conquest 6x24x50. 2) Headed to Virginia in 10 days...to Bang Steel for some basic training on “dialing.”

Said respectfully now…I’ve been reloading / hunting / target shooting since way before most of you were born. And I have NEVER seen a rifle put 4 bullets through the SAME hole at 100 yards.

First shot…dead center. Second shot? Looking thru the 60x spotting scope for hole # 2…where was it? I walked up to the target and found 1 hole. ONE perfect hole. Surely, I didn’t miss the entire target? Seriously doubtful. Third shot. Standing at the target, EXACTLY 1 hole!! 3 in the same hole?? I slid a sheet of paper behind that hole. Walked back to the bench. Fourth shot. Like the first 3, looked good when the firing pin hit the primer. Didn’t bother looking thru the spotting scope. Walked down to the target. Looked at 1 hole. Slid the sheet of paper out. 1 hole. Exactly. Target hole expansion? ZERO.

No doubt the LR crowd can do this with their $20K bench guns and 4 oz triggers…but a hunting rifle with a hunting bullet? Non custom?

Please understand, I’m NOT bragging here. I’ve read where other shooters have achieved similar results with their heavier Savage Varmint / Target rifles. Just sharing one man’s personal, very gratifying experience.

Be safe everyone. Thanks for reading my post.

Cheers.

Welcome aboard. Been shooting for over 60 years and don't ever expect that kind of results in my case. Well done one hole shooter. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Welcome. Glade you’re happy with purchase.

Basic Member
    Nicely done! And, no, not usual, even for many BR shooters. If it was me the 5th round would be a good 1/2 to 1 inch away from those other 4 :)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Nicely done! And, no, not usual, even for many BR shooters. If it was me the 5th round would be a good 1/2 to 1 inch away from those other 4 :)

Ain't that the truth. Been my reasoning for shooting 10 rnd groups. Always has to be one out and it's usually the triggerpuller's fault. Photo is old but shows exactly what I am talking about. That little bugger at 6 out of the rest of the 10 rnd group by .5 was entirely my trigger control that day. I shoot prone off a bipod and just goofed. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stealth 4.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Being a competitive bench rest shooter, and shooting for over 60 years, I'd be taking that
    rifle to Virginia but not wasting my time banging steel. Id be locating UBR match's and
    enter factory class, and make some side money.....That rifle falls into the "Murphy's Law"
    category. Good luck with them Yote's !! Post up some kills......
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

Congrats and welcome!

Dang flyers, during a match too. 10 shots, 100yds, 140gr Lyman 266469 round nose boolit from my 6.5CM.

Basic Member
    Yep, one of many.

PS this was a 12BVSS with a Shilen barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Thanks Charlie and everyone here. Much appreciated. That, Charlie, is THE reason why there was no 5th shot. Smiled, packed up my gear and went home. Hole intact.

Basic Member
    LOL Many times I wish I'd stopped too.