Thread: SSK 44 Mag barrel likes XTPs

SSK 44 Mag barrel likes XTPs

I took my SSK 18" and the Eabco 24" 44 barrels to compare performance with 240 XTP loads. Both barrels seem to like those bullets last time I tried some preliminary rounds.
    This go-round the stock I had on the Eabco was causing trouble so it didn't do much but keep walking up the targets.
    The SSK though, is starting to win me over. I bought a 20" 445 SSK because I really didn't want an 18" carbine but I have to say I'm liking this 44 Mag barrel more than the 445 for a lot of reasons. I think I'd still like a 20" barrel better but this thing is pretty sweet in terms of handling. The linear compensator adds the right balance and keeps the blast away from my face and ears. And it's stacking bullets at 50 yards with a preferred load of H110 pushing the 240s. Pictured are 2 3-shot groups. One is sub-MOA and the other is literally one ragged hole. It's just hard to find fault. :)

Next stop for that barrel is they new SSK Lynx frame that I should have next week or so and one of my hand-made stocks that I'm working on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240314_152717.jpg   20240314_141549.jpg  

Team Savage
    NICE!!!

What is going on with the stock on the other barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    NICE!!!

What is going on with the stock on the other barrel?
    It's a nice old factory stock, checkered, very nicely figured, that one of the members back on SP sent me to see if I could fix the cracking in the frame area. He ended up just giving it to me in the end but I've messed with it a lot and can't seem to make it structurally sound. The cracks are one thing but the grain direction caused the wood to give out underneath the front of the frame. I tried reinforcing with some cross-grain ebony and that didn't really hold up. I drilled in some threaded rod to act as a stop for the frame to rest on. That was a step in the right direction but the wood had slumped to the point that the whole thing was just off. I ended up making an aluminum shim to get the alignment right and make things solid. It looked good and I was able to crank the drawbolt very nice and tight but after a few shots, the shim was getting loose.

I don't know what's to become of that stock. I may be able to graft a big piece of walnut into the area in the front part of the grip so that there's a lot of new wood with plenty of surface area for glue an then recut the frame slot. That thing being undependable is one of the reasons I started my stock project. :)

XTP’s sure have been accurate for me as well. Good shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    XTP’s sure have been accurate for me as well. Good shooting!
    I like the 300s for accuracy, too...I had a factory 14" barrel with a slightly long throat and I'd load those 300XTPs out to the second crimp ring and add a few grains of H110. I shot sub-inch groups with those things many times. Never did get a chance to hunt with that barrel but it was a beauty. :) That barrel and most every 44 mag barrel I ever had liked a load of 23.6 grains of H110 pushing a 240 grain XTP. This SSK is no different.

It's shooting so well that I hate to break up the set but I need that frame back on my pistol outfit. I'm willing to bet that the new Lynx frame will suit it just fine - I switched out my 25-45 barrel to an SSK Flatside frame and it's shooting even better than it was on a Contender frame. :)