Thread: Drilling out a bolt head

Ksmirk

Drilling out a bolt head

Ok the project is coming to an end but one more hick-up has come about, it seems the magnum bolt head I got is for the new style small dia. firing pin and well I have a firing pin from a striker that needs to fit. I have access to a milling machine but I have not tested the hardness of this bolt and haven't got a depth measurement of how far I need to go. Anyone have some wonderful information on this they would like to pass along? I was told by another guy over on the SP site that he ordered the smaller pin and goodies but I'm just wondering if I can drill/mill this thing and be good without adding more money to my addiction? Looking forward to some awesome pointers fella's. Later,

Kirk

Basic Member

Re: Drilling out a bolt head

I drilled one for my buddy's 7mm Mag. Square it up in your drill press, if memory serves, a #53 drill bit did the trick.

Ksmirk

Do you recall the depth you drilled? if so that would be awesome. Later,

Kirk

Basic Member

I ran into the same problem. I asked the same question a couple months ago. The bolt head is rather soft, and is easy to drill. I do not remember the drill bit # or the depth, but all I did to get the depth was to measure the depth on my existing large firing pin bolt head if you have it. I used a gage pin to get the best fit and then measured the length of the pin sticking out of the bolt head and subtracted that length from the overall length of the pin. I then used the closest drill size that was not larger than the gage pin. -- From what I read it is not super critical and +/- .005 should be plenty close.

Drill to the vent. You should be able to see the bit through the vent. When you do, you've gone far enough.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Ksmirk

Thanks a mess fella's! I was sent a picture of my stock just earlier and oh wow, if anyone doesn't like snakes they'll hate this stock but it's super cool. Again thanks! Later,

Kirk