As many of you know, I've had a 24" 6.5 BRM Contender barrel for several years now. It's been quite the pleasure, has accounted for many hogs, several coyotes and a buck while showing exceptional accuracy with its favorite loads.

I ordered the barrel new and directly from EABCO. I asked that it should be set up for a 6-screw base. Their EER base was added to the order, and I specified that I wanted to install the base myself (I am picky and have a certain way I want things done). But when the barrel arrived, the base was already mounted. I detected a bit of excess thread locker on the edges, and the screws all seemed even and snug, so I decided to leave it as-is. Holding zero was never an issue, so it seemed to have been well-installed.

Fast forward to 2024: I recently decided I may want to put my thermal on this barrel, but I already knew the slots on these bases are a bit too tight to accommodate the thermal setup. So I ordered an EGW picatinny base. Tonight, I removed the EABCO base and was floored by what I saw.

There were marks under most of the length of the base. At first I hoped that I was simply seeing excessive thread locker. Some of it was. But after thoroughly cleaning everything, I realized that what I was seeing was bare metal.

Now I know why the barrel arrived with the base already installed. Granted, the damage is covered and out of sight, but now I know it's there, and it's going to bug me.

I don't know what's worse: this situation or the sloppy, crooked brass with inconsistent (and short!) shoulder placement that they called "custom/fully-formed and ready to load."

Make no mistake: I love the barrel and how it performs. But this has soured me for good on ever getting another new barrel from EABCO.

After I returned the first batch of brass, this was a sample of the hand-picked replacement they sent. It was better...but not by all that much.

And below is what newly-formed BRM brass is actually supposed to look like LOL.