Thread: EABCO: the ugly, hidden truth

Team Savage

EABCO: the ugly, hidden truth

As many of you know, I've had a 24" 6.5 BRM Contender barrel for several years now. It's been quite the pleasure, has accounted for many hogs, several coyotes and a buck while showing exceptional accuracy with its favorite loads.

I ordered the barrel new and directly from EABCO. I asked that it should be set up for a 6-screw base. Their EER base was added to the order, and I specified that I wanted to install the base myself (I am picky and have a certain way I want things done). But when the barrel arrived, the base was already mounted. I detected a bit of excess thread locker on the edges, and the screws all seemed even and snug, so I decided to leave it as-is. Holding zero was never an issue, so it seemed to have been well-installed.

Fast forward to 2024: I recently decided I may want to put my thermal on this barrel, but I already knew the slots on these bases are a bit too tight to accommodate the thermal setup. So I ordered an EGW picatinny base. Tonight, I removed the EABCO base and was floored by what I saw.

There were marks under most of the length of the base. At first I hoped that I was simply seeing excessive thread locker. Some of it was. But after thoroughly cleaning everything, I realized that what I was seeing was bare metal.

Now I know why the barrel arrived with the base already installed. Granted, the damage is covered and out of sight, but now I know it's there, and it's going to bug me.

I don't know what's worse: this situation or the sloppy, crooked brass with inconsistent (and short!) shoulder placement that they called "custom/fully-formed and ready to load."

Make no mistake: I love the barrel and how it performs. But this has soured me for good on ever getting another new barrel from EABCO.

After I returned the first batch of brass, this was a sample of the hand-picked replacement they sent. It was better...but not by all that much.

And below is what newly-formed BRM brass is actually supposed to look like LOL.

That is sad. Thanks for the heads up.

Bobby,

That is disappointing to be sure. In the picture, the pattern of the damage sure looks like excess thread locker that filled in the spaces from an uneven base. But bare metal? I can't even see how damage like that could occur. I mean what "step" were they on in the process of building that barrel? It was after bluing, obviously. What does the underside of the original base look like?

I remember your posts on that batch of brass you got from them. I would have been too embarrassed to send that brass out to anyone, let alone call it "finished" and ready to load.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

The scratches under the mount don't seem like a serious matter, though they shouldn't be there on a new barrel. Probably there from something going wrong during the installation, though I can't quite see what would cause it. If it was there before the installation and without the base covering it up, they wouldn't have been able to ship it as a new barrel.
    The brass is another level of problematic...it's not by any means ready to load or shoot. If they simply noted that it needed to be trimmed and fireformed (as is the case with most any brass we buy) , it would be perfectly reasonable but it shouldn't be sold as finished brass.

Team Savage
    The bottom of the base looks perfectly fine. Some of the scratches on the barrel can be felt with a fingernail. Most cannot be; you simply see the white of the metal. This first made me wonder if something corrosive in the thread locker or some other solvent -- or combination of chemicals -- contributed.

But then I began to wonder if it was d&t prior to bluing, and I may have the answer .

The interiors of the screw holes have bluing in them. Could the jig used to d&t have transferred residue that wasn't cleaned off thoroughly and thus didn't allow proper bluing in those areas? I am not all that familiar with the bluing process, so maybe someone will chime in here and offer their expertise.

I'll bet there's a jig that goes on to drill and tap and I suspect that they might use a 4-hole jig and move it forward or back to get the other two holes. That would explain things if there was a burr or two under the jig when it slid backward or forward. But not if it was blued after DT process.

The pattern definitely looks like what would happen at the edges of a puddle of excess locktite. There's no reason any of that should be corrosive in any way. There could be another solvent or compound involved.

The brass is definitely disturbing. Embarrassing quality control.

I do have to say though, the EABCO barrels I’ve had were a work of art. I’ve considered ordering another from time to time, but passed. Their custom ordered are more expensive than those already in stock, though they’re almost always 26” and I don’t care for that length. The wait time for a custom is a bit long, too.

Team Savage
    Yes, mine have shot very well. Early on, Eben had some issues and produced a couple noted lemons when he finally began turning out his own barrels. But my 6.5 BRM barrel -- other than the area of the base -- is well-made, and I still regret getting rid of the .260 Encore barrel. It liked any load I fed it, and I took one of my better bucks with it.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    I'll bet there's a jig that goes on to drill and tap and I suspect that they might use a 4-hole jig and move it forward or back to get the other two holes. That would explain things if there was a burr or two under the jig when it slid backward or forward. But not if it was blued after DT process.

The pattern definitely looks like what would happen at the edges of a puddle of excess locktite. There's no reason any of that should be corrosive in any way. There could be another solvent or compound involved.
    I have had the same issue on several different manufactures barrels, Like Bobby I dont want the base installed I have a proven way of doing things atleast in my own mind. I do remove every one especially if it was a used barrel with no history, Clean the threads and bottom of each hole completely and apply just a tiny dab of purple loctite I still cant see a reason to flood the whole base I have heard why some do it but not for me. Luckily the ugly is hidden and after a few months well these days a few days I forget any way.

The brass on the other hand, I have had oddities show up like this when really moving a lot of metal, I think some of it is the inconsistency of the brass from when or how the shoulder was initially formed, I do believe that EABCO uses a hydraulic forming die no proof just speculation. When I have used their brass I do anneal it before the first loading fire it then fix it if needed. Defently not fully formed ready to go brass.

Basic Member
    I've seen white/bare lines like that on blue jobs where all the oil wasn't removed. I'm betting that there was a touch of cutting fluid left in those holes. It doesn't take but a microscopic amount to do something like that.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Sanders View Post
    I've seen white/bare lines like that on blue jobs where all the oil wasn't removed. I'm betting that there was a touch of cutting fluid left in those holes. It doesn't take but a microscopic amount to do something like that.
    That was my suspicion as well once I thought it over. There had to be some contaminant preventing the bluing from adhering. It just floors me that they'd send out a barrel in that condition.