Thread: New Barrel for Axis II Precision 6.5 Creedmoor

New Barrel for Axis II Precision 6.5 Creedmoor

I just hit 3000 rounds and while I haven't noticed a large drop off in velocity or accuracy, I have noticeable throat erosion which has required an adjustment to COAL to maintain the group size I'm accustomed to shooting with the gun. I have lost a little velocity, but its negligible and only apparent when I take the average of a large number of rounds. I'm going to start planning to replace the barrel this July or August. By then I should be close to 4000 rounds.

My current barrel is 22" long and I'd like to go a little longer. I'm thinking 24", but I see 26" barrels on a lot of 6.5 Creedmoor riffles. Is there an optimum length for 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140 grain bullet?

I'm looking at a Criterion barrel in a medium Palma contour, but am open to other options so recommendations are welcome.

Savage barrel - $400
    Barrel threading - $75
    Black nitride satin finish $100
    Total $575

Banned
    There’s no real optimum barrel length. Optimal length is contingent on factors set forth by shooter & loading conditions. Weight savings plays into it for some. Also, for those wanting to use muzzle Brake or Suppressor, the added length can get unwieldy at some point. 26” just happens to be a popular choice. Last fall I installed a new Criterion MTU profile chambered in 260AI. I choose 28”. I do not use a muzzle or Suppressor. This was replacing my Savage Varmint 26” Barrel in standard 260 Rem. Go with what you feel is right.

The Creedmoor was based around a 24" barrel by Hornady......Have you re-crowned the barrel
    at any point in it's 3000 round life ?? Do that, and will probably tighten those groups back up.
    No real need to go beyond a 26" barrel.....MTU contour would be good and a M24 would be a
    bit lighter. I generally prefer a Max Varmint type where you have about 6" of straight then it
    tapers to .900", but these are used on my bench guns.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Theurbanriflemanstore.com I have a 6mm BR of his that I defy you to tell me how many bullets that I have in one 100 yard group.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
    Theurbanriflemanstore.com I have a 6mm BR of his that I defy you to tell me how many bullets that I have in one 100 yard group.
    17! …… Am I right!?

What do I win?

[QUOTE=Herzo;523014]Theurbanriflemanstore.com I have a 6mm BR of his that I defy you to tell me how many bullets that I have in one 100 yard group.[/QUOTE

Now there's a meaningless statement !! I can take an AR and do several mag dumps and have a
    one hole group at 100.....Is there a point ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952