Thread: Anyone using the new Sierra 6.5mm 120 grain Tipped GK that was made for Grendel-type speeds?

Team Savage

Anyone using the new Sierra 6.5mm 120 grain Tipped GK that was made for Grendel-type speeds?

I recently picked up some of these. While I haven't worked up any loads to test for accuracy, I did put a few of them into test medium at velocities from 2200 to right at 2300 fps. All expanded very well, no cores were shed, and they averaged just a bit shy of 70 percent weight retention. So far I am impressed.

Before long, I'll download a few to around 2200 fps MV and recover them at 250 yards. Depending on the actual BC, this should have an impact speed of around 1800 fps, which will give a better indication of performance potential at the outer limits of its useful hunting range.

Hopefully soon, I can work up some loads and see how they group in my 1:9 6.5 Bullberry or the 1:8 6.5 BRM. Both have 24" barrels.

The bullets are quite long for their weight and notably longer than even the 120 grain Ballistic Tip, which is shown in the bottom photo for sake of comparison.

The 130 grain Tipped GK was very accurate for me but a bit too hard for the type of terminal performance I prefer. But this 120 is definitely built differently.

Have you guys given these a try?

Bobby,

I bought several boxes of the 130s.

I look forward to your reports on the 120s

Team Savage
    Now that's a boattail

Basic Member
    That one has also been on my radar for tests in the grendel, and in the 6.5x30/30 Ackley. Hope to see some
    bullet expansion tests on pork-sized targets.

No, but thanks for the heads up. I’ll have a Grendel eventually, been saying that for a year. I ordered a 20” 6.5 CM today instead for a handy little Encore “carbine” project.

After seeing your post, I read about these 120’s on Sierra’s website, then shopped around for them. Everywhere seems to be out of stock.

I am going to try them at some point in my XP-100 .260 Remington. I also plan to try the 120 grain Pro Hunter flat base.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    Everywhere seems to be out of stock.
    I got mine from Powder Valley for 33.99 per hundred, which is much lower than other tipped GKs. But I just checked, and they, too, are out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    I got mine from Powder Valley for 33.99 per hundred, which is much lower than other tipped GKs. But I just checked, and they, too, are out of stock.
    Yep, that’s one of the places I checked. Must be a popular choice, these 120’s.

Team Savage
    Well, I did some load work with these tipped Sierras today. I started with the BRM. I got acceptable accuracy but decided not to waste more time or bullets since it previously didn't do its best with sharp-heeled boattailed bullets. Remembering I had an open bag of new Starline 30-30 brass on my loading desk, I decided to give the 6.5 Bullberry a whirl.

I lubed a batch of cases, ran them into a Pacific Durachrome 30-30 neck die to remove imperfections and true the necks and then ran them into a full-length Redding 6.5 BB die with the decapping assembly removed. Next, I ran them into a neck-size die. Doing them this way minimizes the creation of the false shoulder or doughnut. I then trimmed, chamferered and deburred.

I started and ended with SW Precision powder. The accuracy was exceptional. The first three still showed a good bit of sooting on the neck, indicating the load was rather mild and not developing enough pressure to fully seal. I bumped it up a half-grain and then another 0.3 and was rewarded with the same type of gilt-edged accuracy at each level.

Now I just need some cooperative swine so I can check terminal performance...

Below are three of the loads in newly-formed Starline brass. Please pardon the low-rez (and canted!) phone picture. I don't get along too well with the phone camera ha ha...

Basic Member
    looking forward to seeing your report on these. I have some of the 130's that I bought a couple of years ago but was unaware of the 120's. Probably because I stopped looking for Sierra's over a year ago because they were never in stock except for some of the Pro-Hunter flat based bullets.

Grafs & Sons has them in stock this morning. Just ordered 2 boxes