Thread: Will any 110 LA bolt fit 12 LA

Basic Member

Will any 110 LA bolt fit 12 LA

Hi Guys
    I just bought an old model 12 LA in 223 and it will be here in a week or so. While I am waiting on it, I want to get a complete bolt with 308 head for caliber switch.
    My question is, will any 110 LA fit or is there changes that have happened over the years. The model 12 coming in is a LA older one.
    Thanks

So if it’s an older model LA it isn’t a model 12. It would be a 112.
    Now, do you know it is a true long action with a 5.0” action screw spacing? Or could it be and older intermediate action with a 4.522” screw spacing?

You just need to be positive what you have so you can get the correct bolt. You could also just get the bolt head and baffle and swap it out when you do the barrel swap.

Basic Member
    I guess I will have to wait for it to come in. It is an older model 12 LA single shot, thats all I know right now.
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Thanks Pdog06
    It has a Kreiger barrel on it so that would explain 112 vs 12 confusion. I will wait for it to come in and check it out.

Banned
    There is no confusion. It it’s a Long Action, it’s a model 112, not a 12. Is it one of the Blued ​single shot Actions? Laminate or synthetic stock?

Basic Member
    confusion on my part, it is blued action, laminate stock.

Banned
    Gotchya. Sorry.

Yeah, thought so. Wonder if yours is one of the original 112 Varmint rifles. Look like this by any chance? Still, I wouldn’t order any parts until you have it & know for sure what it is exactly.

Basic Member
    Yes, it looks just like that.
    Thanks, when it comes in I will let you know some details.

Banned
    It’s very likely a regular Post 1966 Long Action and will accept a long action Bolt Assembly available at many establishments online. But if that is what you want, personally, I would put together a custom Bolt Assembly with aftermarket parts. Longer Bolt Handle & Knob, upgraded Bolt Head components (Extractor, Ejector kits). Also, you can simply replace the Bolt Head. And likely you would also need the standard Front Baffle.

However, it’s wise to wait until the Firearm is in hands to verify.

Being a single-shot action it should be a Model 112V which was made from 1975-78. Per the 1975 catalog...

"NEW 112-V - The Varmint Hunter's Varmint Rifle
    - Calibers: .222, .22-250, .220 Swift, .25-06, and .243
    The only true varmint rifle made today with the varmint hunter in mind.

Refinements: Solid, single shot action (no magazine cuts in receiver) for rugged strength. A 26" tapered barrel (13/16" diameter at muzzle) for greater accuracy. Receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mounting. Blocks are also provided for target type scopes. Free floating special varmint stock of select walnut has high, deeply fluted comb, Wundhammer swell pistol grip for right or left-hand use, and is hand checkered (20 lines to the inch). Stock is fitted with while-line recoil pad and 1-1/4" quick detachable swivel loops.

Put all these together with time-tested Savage features, such as unique method headspacing, top tang safety, Satinslide bolt and massive locking lugs - you have very potent varmint medicine."

There was also a Model 112R which was a repeater (blind magazine) version of the Model 112V that was offered in 1979 and 1980 and had fewer cartridge options.

Here's the 1980 catalog page showing the 112R and the style of stock that was used on both of these models.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1980-page14.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	10494
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Gotchya. Sorry.

Yeah, thought so. Wonder if yours is one of the original 112 Varmint rifles. Look like this by any chance? Still, I wouldn’t order any parts until you have it & know for sure what it is exactly.

The BV-style stock as shown didn't appear until 1993 on the Model 112BV which had a blued repeater action and barrel that first year. The following year saw the introduction of the 112BVSS (repeater) and 112BVSS-S (single-shot) which had a blued receiver and stainless steel barrel and this same stock (same stock still used on the BVSS to this day).

1995 was the first year for stainless steel actions.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Wow, thanks for all the info guys.

Basic Member
    They didn't have the black tip on the forend till 1996. That was also when they used 2 steel pillars.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Thanks sharpshooter, now I know it is post 96

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aldan View Post
    Thanks sharpshooter, now I know it is post 96
    Oooh…so yours does look exactly like the picture I posted? Black front cap & all huh? How ‘bout that.
    Every person I’ve seen with one of these really likes them. Should be a great shooter. Looking forward to seeing yours & what you do with it.

Actually, you can compare your rifle’s Serial Number to the chart below & you’ll know the exact year of production.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dave, yes exactly. I am hoping to get it this week.

Basic Member
    I got it and it is a 1997 112 bvss-s, action screws are 5.05" apart, bolt is 7 3/8" long. Barrel has been replaced with a Krieger 1 in 12 twist and I am working up some loads with 50 grainers and it is looking good. Can you guys tell me if it is a large shank or small ?
    Thanks

Banned
    Congrats! You have a fine Savage there my friend! Those are admired and typically held onto.

It’s a Small Shank. Any thoughts on Scope Base/Rings and Glass to top it with? By the way, if you haven’t already seen, the Red Blade, Target Accutriggers are now available at GunShack. Would make a fine addition to that rig. Although, the 3-screw trigger it should have, (if factory) can be made quite nice with just a bit of work. And I’d be happy to send you one of my target Bar Springs. (Picture below). Oh yeah… and we want to see pictures!

Factory Spring top, Target spring I make bottom

Basic Member
    Thank you, it came with 2 piece mounts and Burris 8x32 scope that I am using for now. I plan on putting a 1 piece rail on it because rear base screws are messed up. It also came with what I am told is a Basic ??? replacement trigger that is very nice. I have not measured it yet but I would think less than 1 pound. I will try to get a picture when I have some groups to brag about.

Banned
    Basic trigger? Hmm…. I think they likely meant just a basic replacement. RifleBasix or Timney I’d imagine. Unless… it’s not already an Accutrigger is it? In any case, good deal! And yes, I agree about the rail. I much prefer 1-piece Picatinny Rails. I use the Talley. Fantastic, very high quality rails. But there are several very good options.

I can tell ya, folks here don’t care about good groups for want of seeing pics. It wouldn’t change my feeling weather you grouped Sub MOA or >3MOA! I enjoy seeing what others have. And hey…. It’d be fun helping to make it more accurate along with ya! LOL! Seriously, it’s just about the comradery is all.

“Basic”= Basix. As in Rifle Basix. More than likely anyway. Have seen them called “rifle basic” numerous times on different forums…lol.

Either way you got a good rig there! Those long action single shots have been very sought after over the years.

Congrats and can’t wait to see the pics you’re getting ready to post…hint hint

Banned
    Yup. Makes sense. Never saw them called that, but I’m not on any other forums. And people are always getting words wrong so, sounds about right. Good call pdog. Probably is a RifleBasic trigger, not a Timmy trigger!

Basic Member
    Yes, thats it Rifle Basix. Thanks for more info. and I will start looking around for a small shank barrel. I would have thought it would be a large. I might just leave it alone as the previous owner glass bedded the action AND about 2-3" of the barrel so a replacement barrel would have to be smaller dia. or I would have to grind it out. After I get some pics of course.

Banned
    My advise is to get the barrel contour You want. Don’t settle by conforming the barrel to the stock. Make the stock fit the barrel you wish to use.

Basic Member
    I finally got time to put the 1 piece rail on, changed scopes, and working on some loads. I took some pics but will have to redo them. I will get them up sometime I promise.