Thread: 30x357 maximum

30x357 maximum

Hi all, I'm looking for info on the 30 x 357 Maximum cartridge for a chambering in a 15 TC Contender. I've had almost no luck on google or fb and someone suggested I try on this platform...

I would actually appreciate any and all info regarding this caliber.

Thanks

Team Savage
    I had MGM make a 300 BO rimmed I'm sure they could run the 300 BO ream in deep enough to accommodate the Max case I am using 360 DW brass, then you can use 300 BO dies, May save you alot of looking and some money too

Hi there, yes, that was all I could find too. Thanks anyway!

I’m almost positive someone was working with a 30x357 Max about the time SP forums was shut down. For some reason I was thinking Gerald had a go at it.

BTW, welcome Hammie. Good to have you here. Hopefully you can find the info you’re looking for.

Jus curious...I can see a rimmed 300 BLK for Contender but if you're going larger capacity, what are you gaining over the good-ol' 30-30? It's a proven performer in every format the Contender has to offer. :)

I am a longtime fan of 30 cal in the Contender. For me, it started in the late 1990s with a 10" 30 Herrett.

Eventually I also got a 14" 30 Herrett and 14" 30-30.

Eventually I decided that I was not happy with the case diameter of the 30-30 and all rounds based off of it. A hot round in this case can stretch an original Contender (sometimes called G1) frame. Unless you choose to duplicate pressure tested published loads exactly (and there are less of these than desired), there is no reliable method for the average handloader to know that rounds are below the magic pressure that are safe for the gun.

Dropping down to 357 or 223 based cases "fixes" the above concern. Everything I have read indicates you will start seeing case damage during work ups prior to hurting the gun. The higher allowed pressures can offset reduced case capacity to some extent.

As such, I see merit in looking into a 30 x 357 Max. However, I also like trying to get the same level of performance with a "standard" round.

After getting Quickload, I spent a bunch of time with it. One of the things I looked at was 30 Cal cartridges that would be "better" for the Contender (using 357 / 223 diameter brass). For a 10", 300 BO will give you essentially 30 Herrett performance using less powder. This is my hands down recommendation for anyone wanting to have a new 10" 30 cal. barrel made for the Contender.

For a 14" or longer gun, a larger case capacity becomes more desirable. The longest "standard" round with the same case diameter that comes to mind is the 300 Ham'r. This article has dimensions - https://www.americanhunter.org/conte...m-r-cartridge/. The case length of the 300 Ham'r happens to be nearly the same length as the 357 Max. Reloading data and reloading dies for the 300 Ham'r can be had. Although Contender barrels for it are a standard item at MGM, I am not sure if the throat is standard (short for 2.260" rounds with light bullets in the AR-15) or longer (better in a break open). Getting brass for the 300 Ham'r would also allow for a lot more options than the single "not cheap" source for 357 Max brass.

For me, I ended up at 7 TCU instead of staying with 30 cal. However, after shooting lots of 7 TCU, I am convinced that a rimless round is not that much of a disadvantage when compared to rimmed. As such, I would say that going with a 300 Ham'r might be an easier way to get what you seem to be interested in.

If you insist on a 357 Max based round, a Rimmed version of the 300 Ham'r would get you there and again would make sourcing stuff easier. A barrel made with a chamber cut for a rim, but supplied with a rimmed and a rimless extractor would offer the most flexibility. It would let you try out the rimless version first, but let you switch to a rimmed version if you really wanted to.

Now if you are talking a G2 frame, going with the 30-30 really has some big advantages in the 15" to 16" length range.

Hell, I just wrote a whole essay on why I want this caliber and must've pressed the wrong button and BOOM, gone!

I'll try again later...

Okay, let me try again...

First of all, thanks for all the replies so far...

I just want to put things in a better perspective, I have previously owned the following calibers;

7 TCU
    30 30 Win
    30 30 Ackley

So, after laying eyes on the 30x357 Max, I decided that this will be my next Wildcat. I usually do a lot of research on a caliber before acquiring it and that is where I am now, acquiring info.

Btw, I am residing in South Africa, so things are a bit harder to find around hear, except 357 Max cases, thus my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
    Okay, let me try again...

First of all, thanks for all the replies so far...

I just want to put things in a better perspective, I have previously owned the following calibers;

7 TCU
    30 30 Win
    30 30 Ackley

So, after laying eyes on the 30x357 Max, I decided that this will be my next Wildcat. I usually do a lot of research on a caliber before acquiring it and that is where I am now, acquiring info.

Btw, I am residing in South Africa, so things are a bit harder to find around hear, except 357 Max cases, thus my interest.
    That makes sense. It's true that keeping case head diameter down while increasing case capacity is a good formula for Contender-based cartridges in general.

Bullberry chambers for 256 Win Max and that's one that's been of interest to me. Reloading dies wouldn't be much of an issue since a 357 max FL sizer and a relatively available set of 256 Win Mag dies would do very nicely.

Good luck on your quest. :)

Hammie,
    interesting that 357 max brass is more available in South Africa than here. I just placed an order with Starline on back order.

JA,

I too have been contemplating a 256 max. I have a 256 mag. Sometimes you just want what you want.
    i think you can initially neck down the brass with a 30 Mauser die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    Hammie,
    interesting that 357 max brass is more available in South Africa than here. I just placed an order with Starline on back order.

JA,

I too have been contemplating a 256 max. I have a 256 mag. Sometimes you just want what you want.
    Yeah...we can't always justify our projects. :) When I was looking at an "in between" caliber for Contender handgun, I ended up going with the 25-45 because of the cheap dies and availability (at the time, at least) of properky headstamped brass. I haven't been disappointed but I really, really prefer rimmed cartridges for Contender. I don't think it's likely that I'll change directions at this point but if Max brass was more available, I think it would make sense to have a whole line-up of Contender-friendly wildcats based on it, like the TCU chamberings. :)

Basic Member
    Dont have a .30x357max yet, but its been on my "to-do" list a long time...do have a .30reece in a 16" carbine that was Tommys barrel, and also have a .256max in a tapered carbine by MGM.

Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    ...and also have a .256max in a tapered carbine by MGM.
    When you get tired of that one, keep me in mind. :)

Hi, yup, seems like that will have to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    I believe that is correct, too.

New Member Steve The Chimney Sweep's Avatar
    Would this be the same as or similar to the 300 Ham'r? Are the cases more straight walled than the slightly tapered case or the Ham'r?

I ran a 357 max case into a 300 Ham'r die and it looks really good. I am thinking of getting a barrel for my contender because of the ability to use small rifle primers which I have many but very few large rifle primers. I already load for the .30-30 barrel and will be loading for my 308 encore barrel and want to conserve my limited number of LRP. Looking at the data on Hodgdon's web site the 300 Ham'r is very close to 30 Herrett performance with less powder, but at higher pressure using available SRP's.

Thanks,
    Steve

Basic Member
    Gary Reeder chambers barrels in .30x357 Max. but he calls it .307 GNR. He has load data in his data book. I have the book. Let me know if you want the data.

That would be great. I would love to compare the 30X357 max to the 300 Ham'r. Could you send the data by PM?

Team Savage
    Since I like rimmed cased in my break open guns, I have wished for a family based on the 357Max case. I would think a 22/max would be about like a 222 rem. and a 6/max would be a little under the 6/223. But with a rim.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve The Chimney Sweep View Post
    That would be great. I would love to compare the 30X357 max to the 300 Ham'r. Could you send the data by PM?
    If you text, PM me your number and I'll send you screen shots of the data. If you don't text, let me know and I'll PM it to you. Texting would be much quicker and easier.

I can't seem to find a way to send a PM. My e-mail is in my profile if you want to try that.