Thread: Trail Hunter .270 100 yard results, plus trigger lightening...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trail Hunter .270 100 yard results, plus trigger lightening...

I posted up below about my initial thoughts on my new .270 Trail Hunter, and then how pleased I was shooting it at the 25 yard indoor range just to get it close. The only disappointment that I had found was the trigger. Adjusted as low as it could go and I couldn't get it below 3lbs 9oz. And it usually broke higher than that...and I could feel it. Couldn't get a hold of Savage by phone, and have yet to receive a reply to the email I sent them...so I went ahead and ordered the TARGET spring from Gun Shack. (I got 4 of them since ONE was $17, or 4 was $30...and since my other Savages are adjusted all the way down maybe I'd swap these springs in if I liked them).

But since I was impatient, and the weather warmed up a little, I took the Trail Hunter with it's heavy trigger out and zeroed at 100. I shot 3 groups of 3, back to back to back without really any breaks in between groups other than a couple clicks on the turrets...and shot a 1.1" group, a .870" group and a .610 group. And that was with factory ammo and the crappy trigger. (pic below of 3 targets). FYI: 1 inch low @ 25 yards is just about perfect @ 100.

Anyway, I received the Target Springs today and popped one into the Trail Hunter. Spring replacement was fast and straightforward. I still had to adjust it all the way down as far as it would go...but now it breaks fairly consistently between 2lbs 3oz and 2lbs 7oz. which is exactly where I want it for a hunting rifle. And I can FEEL the difference.

The new target springs are darker colored where the factory spring is a silver color. Pics below are: My 3 100 yard groups with factory ammo and the crappy trigger, the factory silver spring installed (today), 2 springs side by side(today) and the new target spring installed (today...darker one is target spring). Now I can't wait to take it out again with the lighter trigger.

Last edited by RWA007; 03-05-2024 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo...