Thread: Trail Hunter .270 100 yard results, plus trigger lightening...

Trail Hunter .270 100 yard results, plus trigger lightening...

I posted up below about my initial thoughts on my new .270 Trail Hunter, and then how pleased I was shooting it at the 25 yard indoor range just to get it close. The only disappointment that I had found was the trigger. Adjusted as low as it could go and I couldn't get it below 3lbs 9oz. And it usually broke higher than that...and I could feel it. Couldn't get a hold of Savage by phone, and have yet to receive a reply to the email I sent them...so I went ahead and ordered the TARGET spring from Gun Shack. (I got 4 of them since ONE was $17, or 4 was $30...and since my other Savages are adjusted all the way down maybe I'd swap these springs in if I liked them).

But since I was impatient, and the weather warmed up a little, I took the Trail Hunter with it's heavy trigger out and zeroed at 100. I shot 3 groups of 3, back to back to back without really any breaks in between groups other than a couple clicks on the turrets...and shot a 1.1" group, a .870" group and a .610 group. And that was with factory ammo and the crappy trigger. (pic below of 3 targets). FYI: 1 inch low @ 25 yards is just about perfect @ 100.

Anyway, I received the Target Springs today and popped one into the Trail Hunter. Spring replacement was fast and straightforward. I still had to adjust it all the way down as far as it would go...but now it breaks fairly consistently between 2lbs 3oz and 2lbs 7oz. which is exactly where I want it for a hunting rifle. And I can FEEL the difference.

The new target springs are darker colored where the factory spring is a silver color. Pics below are: My 3 100 yard groups with factory ammo and the crappy trigger, the factory silver spring installed (today), 2 springs side by side(today) and the new target spring installed (today...darker one is target spring). Now I can't wait to take it out again with the lighter trigger.

Last edited by RWA007; 03-05-2024 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo...

Banned
    Looks good. Solid rifle these Trail Hunters are. At least Savage can still make a smart choice here & there, laced among all the bad choices! LOL!

Basic Member
    Is it just me or does the Trail Hunter look like a hybrid between the 110 series and the Axis?

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    Is it just me or does the Trail Hunter look like a hybrid between the 110 series and the Axis?
    In what way? The BAS? The bolt head?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    That it’s a Hooded-Port style ​Action.

Basic Member
    Yes, the hooded action was what I was talking about.

Banned
    Actually, I’d say it more resembles a Model 12LRP. Yeah, the hooded-Port style Actions have been used in the Model 110’s & 12’s for many years. But the Small-Shank version used in this & a couple other models is relatively new.

Oh yeah: and to the OP, I know you just put the target Accutrigger spring in, but in case you haven’t seen, GunShack now sells the Target Accutriggers with the Red safety blade & the 6oz. Sear. I’d definitely recommend one for your Action.

Team Savage

Having 2 rifles with the target accutrigger for about 5yrs now, I would not want one on a hunting rifle unless you sit in a stand and wait for game to come to you. The varmint/LE trigger, 1.5 - 2.5lbs, would be a much better choice for spot and stalk hunting.

Banned
    To me, really the only point of using a heavier trigger on a hunting or defensive pistol/rifle is the added precaution aspect from an accidental discharge. The Accutrigger 100% eliminates that worry, regardless of it being 1lb, 2lb, 3lb or 8oz. Not to mention, the Target Accutrigger can be set for 2lbs. One could even pop the heavier springs in the Target Accutrigger. Just my point of view. I don’t think one is necessarily better in this role. Rather, it’s a matter of what’s better for the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Actually, I’d say it more resembles a Model 12LRP. Yeah, the hooded-Port style Actions have been used in the Model 110’s & 12’s for many years. But the Small-Shank version used in this & a couple other models is relatively new.

Oh yeah: and to the OP, I know you just put the target Accutrigger spring in, but in case you haven’t seen, GunShack now sells the Target Accutriggers with the Red safety blade & the 6oz. Sear. I’d definitely recommend one for your Action.
    Thank you Dave! I've been following the progress of the availibility of these triggers...and will likely get one for my .308 "target" designated rifle. I like them around 2.5 lbs for my hunting rifles but am tempted just to get one for each rifle...problem is that I have 5 Savage rifles right now...could get a little expensive!

Banned
    I get it man. No, there’s no reason to put a Target Trigger on all of even several of your 110’s. Could just stick one on the one you use most for longer range target acquisition.

Your other 110’s, you could do something like I do, but have slightly heavier springs. A bit of cleanup, some side shims, and in my case, actually matching the safety blade blade & trigger springs appropriately, turns the Accutrigger into quite a respectable trigger. Honestly, my worked Accutriggers here is only slightly heavier than my Target Accutrigger. And before doing anything, the shims, smoothing, overtravel stop, my worked Accutrigger felt much better to the digit. It’s a damn shame I was told to stop doing free trigger jobs for people. There are many who could benefit. But, some gunsmiths on Forums utterly HATE people who do free stuff. So I’m like Enemy #1​! Oh well, I can still give advice. (At least I think I can)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s a damn shame I was told to stop doing free trigger jobs for people. There are many who could benefit. But, some gunsmiths on Forums utterly HATE people who do free stuff. So I’m like Enemy #1​! Oh well, I can still give advice. (At least I think I can)
    No Dave, the reason no one here likes you is because of your snide little back-handed comments like this that you make ALL THE TIME! But no, you always have to try to get in the last word, the last jab - even when what you're asserting (like here) has ZERO merit or standing.

I called you and explained to you why I told you to stop. It had nothing to do with Fred or anyone else for that matter. I didn't have to call you to explain my decision on that matter, but I did - and this is how you're going to behave in turn? Well, you just made your own bed so I hope you enjoy lying in it as I'm done putting up with your crap.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain