Thread: 300 Savage cases formed from 308 Win

Basic Member

300 Savage cases formed from 308 Win

Anybody worked much with cases made from 308 Winchester. I have been working with a small (6 cases) lot of Hornady cases. I am getting inconsistent results even to the point of a stuck case a moderate charge (39 gr.) of Varget and 150 gr. bullet. Easily tapped the case out with a cleaning rod. Cases are sized, and all trimmed to same length. I have weighed them and they are pretty much the same weight. After annealing and loading I again got a hard to extract (not stuck) on another case.
    I do believe the chamber in my rifle is on the tight side. A maximum length (1.871" per Lyman manual) does not easily chamber. Also cases will not chamber unless they match the minimum data point in a Wilson case gauge. I have a few Remington 300 Savage cases and when sized and trimmed they load with no trouble.
    I am beginning to think these cases are more trouble than they are worth.

Basic Member
    Could try a small base .308 die first, if the body is the problem.

It's a pain in the azz !! I was forming the 250/3000 cases from Lake City brass.
    Moving that much body taper is the problem. I ended up using a series of straight
    wall dies to create a series of steps half way down the case, then a final push in the
    FL die. Since the 308 case is a bit longer, a good anneal below the neck/shoulder
    junction helps plus some good Imperial die wax. Fire forming will finish the job.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    I too thought about the small base die, but no luck finding one. I do believe it would help. I am using Imperial for my forming.

Team Savage

Team Savage
    Are you starting with brand new brass? Fired brass could have the web area all out of kilter, especially if they were used in a semi-auto. If so, you'll need a small base sizing die to correct it.

I have a .300 Savage in a 24" Contender barrel, and it has very tight tolerances. But I have formed quite a few cases from new .308 (and a few 7-08) brass with zero issues. I simply run them into the die, trim, chamfer, deburr and load.