Thread: Barrel turning services in 2024?

Barrel turning services in 2024?

Yes, I looked this up in seach. Most posts I could see were 10 years, or more, old. A lot can change in 10 years.

I am going to get a RX3010 27" 308 Cal 1.20" OD 1:10 Turned BBL Blank from Green Mountain Rifle Barrels. I looked up peoples reviews here and for the money everyone had good things to say provided it is turned by a good gunsmith.

As for the gunsmiths who will finish barrel blanks in 2024. This includes threading and fluting. Who is in business in 2024 and who is recommended? Sharp Shooter Supplies looks like an option but posts in recent past have said their service is not as great as it used to be. Can anyone confirm this or disprove it?

Are there any other servicers for barrel work that do good work but won't cost me an arm and a leg or me selling a kidney?

Yes, I wish I could afford a top tier barrel like a Krieger, but I cannot. Maybe someday. For now it's Green Mountain and a good gunsmith for the money.
    Tolerance is the death of civilization.

How about Crown Ridge Barrel Works? Testomonials?

https://www.crownridgebarrelworks.com/catalog/services

Basic Member
    Hate to say it but many of us have Savages so we can use the pre-fits.

I'd probably go with a Shilen or Criterion if money is an issue.

PS welcome to the 'nut' house.

Yeah, I explored those options. The price of just a barrel is reasonable. Add in threading plus fluting and suddenly it's a $600 barrel.

No can do. Sadly.

I'll figure it out and get all of it for less than $450.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiekmir View Post

Again, if anyone has done business with Crown Ridge please let me know.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I explored those options. The price of just a barrel is reasonable. Add in threading plus fluting and suddenly it's a $600 barrel.

No can do. Sadly.

I'll figure it out and get all of it for less than $450.00.
    I don't understand your statement. A Shilen or Criterion pre-fit from Northland is $330, total. Threaded, chambered and ready to screw onto your receiver. Fluting for a Criterion barrel is $150.

I guess I can see why you'd want a Green Mountain blank given how inexpensive they are.

The only two gunsmiths I ever trusted with my stuff sadly have passed away. Hope you find a good one.

Banned
    Think he meant the muzzle threading also which is another $75. So looking at around $550 for everything. Going the Green Mountain & the barrel machining shop route, puts you at around $385. But then you’re gonna double shipping & handling. So that extra shipping puts the completed barrel over $400. You’re $150 difference roughly. I would be one thing if it was gonna be like half the price, but not $150. That shouldn’t really make or break the bank. You’ll spend $150 in ammunition in a fairly short amount of time. Personally, I’d wait & save that extra. Going Shilen or Criterion is a proven path. But your call of course.

Basic Member
    Ok, I thought threading meant threading the shank, not muzzle. I'd still rather have a Shilen than a Green Mountain, but, if it's just a hunting gun it would do.

Banned
    He may have. I don’t know for sure. Was just speculation based on how I perceived it. Either way, we are in agreement I think, that it’s really not worth it given the savings. Even with muzzle threading taken away it’s not a crazy cost savings.

Basic Member

Prices seem fair enough.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/collec...thing-services

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Think he meant the muzzle threading also which is another $75. So looking at around $550 for everything. Going the Green Mountain & the barrel machining shop route, puts you at around $385. But then you’re gonna double shipping & handling. So that extra shipping puts the completed barrel over $400. You’re $150 difference roughly. I would be one thing if it was gonna be like half the price, but not $150. That shouldn’t really make or break the bank. You’ll spend $150 in ammunition in a fairly short amount of time. Personally, I’d wait & save that extra. Going Shilen or Criterion is a proven path. But your call of course.
    Yes, I meant muzzle threading.

Also, I live about an hour and a half from Crown Ridge Barrels. So no worries for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Ok, I thought threading meant threading the shank, not muzzle. I'd still rather have a Shilen than a Green Mountain, but, if it's just a hunting gun it would do.
    Yeah, it's just an Axis II deer gun hunting mule deer. Maybe elk.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Double shipping times and then the wait in the queue to have it machined depending on their orders already in line.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Double shipping times and then the wait in the queue to have it machined depending on their orders already in line.
    I live an hour an a half away from Crown Ridge.

I was just wondering if anyone here had gotten work done by them.

As for Green Mountain many posts here on these forums have said they are good shooters if properly machined.

Another reason I want to save money on a barrel is I am also saving cash to have my action blueprinted.

I am also going to hand lapp the barrel myself.

Basic Member
    It's a Savage with a floating bolt head. Don't worry about blueprinting as you'll not see a difference, especially if cost is an issue. Barrel work is the most important part. If you want to spend more then upgrade the trigger, or ask Dave if he will do it :)

I like to shoot barrels first before doing anything like lapping. Might shoot really well without that effort. Savage stock barrels are known to look like rough machine work and still shoot to 0.5MOA.

Banned
    I agree. Leave the barrel lapping to the professionals. That is the Barrel makers themselves. And each barrel to their own company. I wouldn’t want a Shilen barrel lapped by McGowen, Criterion, etc., or vice versa.

Basic Member
    If it was a different blank I would have someone fit it. But a Green Mountain, NO WAY. My last barrel I had fitted cost about $900 after all was said and done But it shot very well and it was a contour I had made and t was a very hard to find blank.

Basic Member
    Yes, I looked this up in seach. Most posts I could see were 10 years, or more, old. A lot can change in 10 years.

I am going to get a RX3010 27" 308 Cal 1.20" OD 1:10 Turned BBL Blank from Green Mountain Rifle Barrels. I looked up peoples reviews here and for the money everyone had good things to say provided it is turned by a good gunsmith.

As for the gunsmiths who will finish barrel blanks in 2024. This includes threading and fluting. Who is in business in 2024 and who is recommended? Sharp Shooter Supplies looks like an option but posts in recent past have said their service is not as great as it used to be. Can anyone confirm this or disprove it?

Are there any other servicers for barrel work that do good work but won't cost me an arm and a leg or me selling a kidney?

Yes, I wish I could afford a top tier barrel like a Krieger, but I cannot. Maybe someday. For now it's Green Mountain and a good gunsmith for the money.
    Any gunsmith worth a hoot is going to tell you to buy a contoured blank that is fluted at the manufacturer. They can then chamber it for your rifle and thread both ends if you want. A gunsmith contouring and fluting a one off barrel blank is folly. Get a contoured, fluted blank from whom ever manufacturer you desire, X-Cal, McGowen, Criterion, etc are budget barrels and are good quality. In fact they will prefit a chamber for a Savage as well.

You will save nothing and have an inferior product when you buy a blank.

Basic Member
    Yeah, it's just an Axis II deer gun hunting mule deer. Maybe elk.
    You're going down a rabbit hole if it's just going to be a hunting rifle in 308 Win.

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    You're going down a rabbit hole if it's just going to be a hunting rifle in 308 Win.
    I want a heavier barrel for when I am doing target practice. The Sporter contour is a huge PITA heating up so damn fast. I take 5 or more shots and it starts stringing all over the place. Eff that. I need a heavier barrel. Pencil Sporters suck.

So I take it no one has done business with Crown Ridge.

Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It's a Savage with a floating bolt head. Don't worry about blueprinting as you'll not see a difference, especially if cost is an issue. Barrel work is the most important part. If you want to spend more then upgrade the trigger, or ask Dave if he will do it :)

I like to shoot barrels first before doing anything like lapping. Might shoot really well without that effort. Savage stock barrels are known to look like rough machine work and still shoot to 0.5MOA.

Isn't blueprinting the same as the "True & Time Action" service like what Sharp Shooter Supplies does to Savages?

If not, what is the appreciable difference?

I am very confident in my mechanical skills. If I had the time I'd go get a machining degree. Right now I work in aerospace fabrication running a CNC laser.

I also ascribe to the Nathan Foster methods of accurizing rifles. I am also going to fully glass bed the rifle and stiffen the fore end with Score-High Pro-Bed 2000 Glass Bedding compound per Nathan Fosters excellent YouTube series on glass bedding rifle stocks.

Isn't blueprinting the same as the "True & Time Action" service like what Sharp Shooter Supplies does to Savages?

If not, what is the appreciable difference?
    There is sometimes a misconception about "blueprinting" It just means that it's being
    checked to see if it's centered within the factory tolerances of the original drawings.
    You might find a part within tolerance mated to a part that is also in tolerance, but
    put together, it's out of tolerance. Fred will make sure the full assembly is right and true.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952