Thread: Custom MAxis Bolt assembly with the first Adjustable Firing Pin swap.

Banned

Custom MAxis Bolt assembly with the first Adjustable Firing Pin swap.

I actually did this for member William2005, and his 6.8 Western MAxis build. His thread has most of the pictures as I was machining the parts. Doing an Adjustable firing pin swap, using a 110 LA firing pin assembly, allowed the the Magnum Bolt Head Shank to stay the full 1.000”. A few thousandths over, actually. I had to remove roughly .250” from the front & rear of the LA firing pin, retread the back and machine the flats longer. And also turn the front section down the same amount I removed. I cut roughly 3.5 coils from the spring, although I believe quite a bit more can be safely removed without fear of light primer strikes. But since this is a first, I wanted him to have a more or less factory over sprung tension. He can always trim more down the road after his MAxis is proof tested & broken it.

So, without further delay, here is the very First MAxis Bolt assembly with a custom Adjustable Firing Pin setup able to achieve near perfect .035” pin protrusion & never a need to worry of light primer strikes.

Next to the Axis bolt head it came with.

The custom made Axis Adjustable Firing Pin assembly, and the few coils removed. BTW, check out Williams thread where I posted a picture of how I finish the cut end of springs so they are like factory again.

Considering Fred's being doing a similar conversion for close to the last 10-12 years, I don't think this qualifies as the "first." Your first time doing it, but not THE first.

Also, did you get an FFL to start legally doing gunsmithing work for people?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Oh, well, I’ve never seen one. Never seen anyone with one. Can’t find a single picture of one. And never heard anyone speak of having one. But I guess if someone said they did something, it could have happened. (I’m speaking of the Adjustable Firing Pin, obviously.) If he or any else has, and can show proof, I’ll gladly recant. Like I said, he very well could have.

We’ve actually discussed this before. I’m not doing any Gunsmithing for people. I never touched, had in my possession or have even seen the person’s gun. Furthermore, I have never had a single person’s firearm in my possession, let alone that I don’t take a dime for anything. (Because I’m not in business.) I simply enjoy helping people. I am modifying parts. It’s no different than giving custom parts to someone. Certain individuals tried calling me out like this years ago. Someone even mentioned speaking with his “FBI” friend, LOL. I suggest studying the laws we have thoroughly. I have. An FFL only applies to taking direct transfer of a firearm. Perhaps you misunderstood, and thought I was actually taking transfer of a Firearm to do this. I assure you, I am not.

Bolt was delivered to day. Can’t wait to check it out and install it.

Mr Dave was never in possession of my receiver nor any other “gun” part. And he did all of his for absolutely no charge. Well I paid shipping. If someone has done the exact custom work that he done then kudos to them. I’m sure Dave done his research prior to taking any credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Oh, well, I’ve never seen one. Never seen anyone with one. Can’t find a single picture of one. And never heard anyone speak of having one. But I guess if someone said they did something, it could have happened. (I’m speaking of the Adjustable Firing Pin, obviously.) If he or any else has, and can show proof, I’ll gladly recant. Like I said, he very well could have.

We’ve actually discussed this before. I’m not doing any Gunsmithing for people. I never touched, had in my possession or have even seen the person’s gun. Furthermore, I have never had a single person’s firearm in my possession, let alone that I don’t take a dime for anything. (Because I’m not in business.) I simply enjoy helping people. I am modifying parts. It’s no different than giving custom parts to someone. Certain individuals tried calling me out like this years ago. Someone even mentioned speaking with his “FBI” friend, LOL. I suggest studying the laws we have thoroughly. I have. An FFL only applies to taking direct transfer of a firearm. Perhaps you misunderstood, and thought I was actually taking transfer of a Firearm to do this. I assure you, I am not.
    Fred can chime in if he so chooses to provide you more details on his experience doing this, but I know he's done enough of them that he took the time to make a custom contoured cutter specifically for reshaping the long-action firing pins. The point I was making is just because you haven't seen someone else do something doesn't mean nobody has done it before - especially when we're talking about a product that's been on the market and had people tinkering with them for over 15 years now.

As for the FFL thing, yes we've been down this road before. You're free to do what you want. My problem however is that you're wanting to act like a business (service provider - aka Gunsmith) on this site by offering your services to (aka soliciting) our members. Doesn't matter if you're charging a fee or not, you're soliciting work from our members and that's a violation of our rules. Just because you want to try to play both sides of the fence (soliciting like a business but claim your not a business because you don't charge a fee) doesn't make you exempt.

I've let it slide up until now as I know you're just trying to be helpful to others and typically you'd just send a small part out to someone (a spring, detent ball, etc.), but now you've stepped up to having members send you stuff to work on and I have to put my foot down. Whether you agree or not I don't care. My house, my rules - and it's a rule that we've had in place for a long, long time.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Jim actually called me and we spoke about it. So all’s good.

I do agree it’s his house. We all just play here. So no more helping anyone I’m afraid. Sorry, not my call guys. You’ll have to pay for things like like or do them on y’all owns. Later.