Thread: Weight weenie questions

Basic Member

Weight weenie questions

Okay, I must be missing something.... I've been combing the Internet looking for lightweight components (mostly barrels and stocks) for the 6.5 prc conversion I have planned for my old 110 LA (currently 30-06), and I'm just not finding much, especially if I limit myself to budget minded options, which is where I always start my projects...

Neither Shilen or Criterion make a light contour small shank 6.5PRC barrel. McGowan all seem to be heavier contours as well....I'm not quite ready to plop down $950 for a proof for barrel, so I'm looking for alternatives.... Any suggestions on where to look next?
    I'm set on a traditional hunting profile CF stock... Seems like stockade and stocky's are the only thing going in the $500 range. Both seem like good products for the money but I'd love to get someone's first hand impression of them. And are there any other options I'm missing?

Any brands I should stay away from?

I really wanted to place my parts orders this week but that's obviously not happening. Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks

Get a hold of "Urbanrifleman". He may be able to set you up with a custom contour.
    He uses "Wilson Arms" barrels (not Wilson combat) with I believe is a step up from
    Shaw and McGowan. Hart will do you one along with Douglas, but a bit more money.
    There is also always finding a smith near you to re-contour a barrel.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Call McGowen and ask for what you want! Also you can start from just a barrel bought from BugHoles and have some one chamber it. Reamers are not hard to rent and loan or drop ship to a smith when needed.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    Try X-Caliber barrels. They will do a Featherweight contour. That contour & only doing 22” would be a really light barrel! https://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit

Pretty sure the Stocky’s M50 is the least expensive Carbon Fiber stock you’re gonna find. https://stockysstocks.com/nextgen-ul...10-110-stocks/

Remember:
    High Quality
    Lightweight
    Economical

You can have TWO from the list, but not all three.

Team Savage
    I wonder when the next 20% off sale will be @ X-Caliber?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketvapor View Post
    I wonder when the next 20% off sale will be @ X-Caliber?
    Probably Easter, They usually have a sale around every holiday.
    X-Caliber makes good barrel's, I have 3 of them. They all shoot as good as any of my higher priced custom barrel's.

Banned
    Im thinking Memorial Day. That’s when I always see the biggest sales. I doubt Easter, because it’s a Christian holiday. And the World is trying to cancel Christ more & more!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the vectors guys. I actually found x-cal on my own today, and am glad to hear that they have a good rep. They seem like my next logical choice. Don't think I'm quite ready to have a blank machined to spec. (I'd rather wait until I have a lathe again and go full DIY if I do that)....

Basic Member
    Remember:
    High Quality
    Lightweight
    Economical

You can have TWO from the list, but not all three.
    Luckily economical is a matter of perspective! I'm throwing a couple of dollars into the project (and a couple more in 5 years or so when I rechamber to a wildcat that I don't have time for at the moment), but nothing like the off the shelf lightweights I'm trying to emulate...
    I bought this rifle originally with the intent to overhaul it and have just been shooting it for the last 10 years. My buddy's New Christensen got me back on track to complete the build.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    Okay, I must be missing something.... I've been combing the Internet looking for lightweight components (mostly barrels and stocks) for the 6.5 prc conversion I have planned for my old 110 LA (currently 30-06), and I'm just not finding much, especially if I limit myself to budget minded options, which is where I always start my projects...

Neither Shilen or Criterion make a light contour small shank 6.5PRC barrel. McGowan all seem to be heavier contours as well....I'm not quite ready to plop down $950 for a proof for barrel, so I'm looking for alternatives.... Any suggestions on where to look next?
    I'm set on a traditional hunting profile CF stock... Seems like stockade and stocky's are the only thing going in the $500 range. Both seem like good products for the money but I'd love to get someone's first hand impression of them. And are there any other options I'm missing?

Any brands I should stay away from?

I really wanted to place my parts orders this week but that's obviously not happening. Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks
    I've been through a similar exercise in planning recently. I have found that within my budget constraints light weight really isn't an option. Unless I'm spending on average $1k PER component, my rifle is going to come in the 11 to 13 lb range. At the end of the day that's what I'm going to have to live with. I just can't justify having north of $2k in a my rifle alone.

LR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LReece View Post
    I've been through a similar exercise in planning recently. I have found that within my budget constraints light weight really isn't an option. Unless I'm spending on average $1k PER component, my rifle is going to come in the 11 to 13 lb range. At the end of the day that's what I'm going to have to live with. I just can't justify having north of $2k in a my rifle alone.

LR

Did you read the full thread? I mentioned the featherweight barrel from X-Caliber. Even with a $600 Carbon Fiber stock, it’s still around $1K. While not the absolute lightest it could be, it would still be quite a lightweight rig. I’m wondering why people continue thinking it’s going to cost $2,000+? No, you don’t have to settle with 11-13lbs rifle. That would be a choice. Doing an 11-13lb rifle & a sub 7lb. rifle will cost virtually the same. It’s attempting to hit that 6lb. mark where the Barrel price skyrockets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Did you read the full thread? I mentioned the featherweight barrel from X-Caliber. Even with a $600 Carbon Fiber stock, it’s still around $1K. While not the absolute lightest it could be, it would still be quite a lightweight rig. I’m wondering why people continue thinking it’s going to cost $2,000+? No, you don’t have to settle with 11-13lbs rifle. That would be a choice. Doing an 11-13lb rifle & a sub 7lb. rifle will cost virtually the same. It’s attempting to hit that 6lb. mark where the Barrel price skyrockets.
    As you said it's also all about choices and I should have qualified that some of mine seem to keep pushing the weight into that 11lb range (with scope) based on what I want to spend. I want to have the option to run a can in the future so X-Calibers #5 contour is the minimum I think I can go with to get a threaded muzzle in .30-06 to do that. While I'm sure it's not exact but from my research that seems to be running about 3 to 3.4 lbs with a 22" barrel legnth. I also want to run AICS magazines so the cost of the stock plus bottom metal seems to be putting my stock cost between $7-800 to get down into that 30 to 40oz range with carbon stock regardless if it's a Stockys or Grayboe (if there's other please let me know). If i've done my number correctly based on the action, barrel, stock, & scope weights I would be roughly $1,600 for my rifle (minus cost of scope and me getting my old rifle back for $300) and it should come in at 10lb ready to head into the woods with a carbon stock. Or if I went with something like the Oryx chassis the cost would be roughly $1,300 with a rough weight of 11.5lbs ready to hit the woods.

So yep the $2k was a bit of stretch based on the my above options. But if I wanted to get to a 7-8 lb rifle with the other options I personally want I think my stock or barrel cost is going to start pushing my rifle cost past $2k.

LR

Basic Member
    Even when I had a BAR in 300 Win with the scope it was a "hefty" nine plus pounds. The 700 I bought in the early 90's now has a McMillan stock, Talley lightweight rings, a Timney trigger and I had Chad at LRI flute the bolt and it weighs 8#'s with a Swarovski 3x18 scope.
    This is strictly a hunting rifle, the turret goes to 625 but I have only shot it 430 on paper and 400 on game.

Basic Member
    As you said it's also all about choices and I should have qualified that some of mine seem to keep pushing the weight into that 11lb range (with scope) based on what I want to spend. I want to have the option to run a can in the future so X-Calibers #5 contour is the minimum I think I can go with to get a threaded muzzle in .30-06 to do that. While I'm sure it's not exact but from my research that seems to be running about 3 to 3.4 lbs with a 22" barrel legnth. I also want to run AICS magazines so the cost of the stock plus bottom metal seems to be putting my stock cost between $7-800 to get down into that 30 to 40oz range with carbon stock regardless if it's a Stockys or Grayboe (if there's other please let me know). If i've done my number correctly based on the action, barrel, stock, & scope weights I would be roughly $1,600 for my rifle (minus cost of scope and me getting my old rifle back for $300) and it should come in at 10lb ready to head into the woods with a carbon stock. Or if I went with something like the Oryx chassis the cost would be roughly $1,300 with a rough weight of 11.5lbs ready to hit the woods.

So yep the $2k was a bit of stretch based on the my above options. But if I wanted to get to a 7-8 lb rifle with the other options I personally want I think my stock or barrel cost is going to start pushing my rifle cost past $2k.

LR
    After your first post I was going to ask how you were getting to 12 lbs but it sounds like you've done your homework.... Not a game changer but stockade budget carbon fiber stocks are well under $400. Its a mom and pop business and my understanding is they're slow but people generally seem to like the product.

For me, I'm not worried about brakes, suppressors, etc, but Ill probably be rechambering in the future so I'm sticking with either the xcal lightweight sporter or a custom hand lapped barrel from a gunsmith. Both range right around $450. I've budgeted $200 for little odds and ends (recoil lug/nut, tools, etc) and $5-700 for a scope (new or used, I'm not proud). Add a good amount of my own labor and I think I'll be in business.

Basic Member
    Man if youre on a budget, id say skip the cf stock idea. Just get a lightweight tupperware stock. Then you could spend a few more bucks on other components if needed.

Basic Member
    After your first post I was going to ask how you were getting to 12 lbs but it sounds like you've done your homework.... Not a game changer but stockade budget carbon fiber stocks are well under $400. Its a mom and pop business and my understanding is they're slow but people generally seem to like the product.

For me, I'm not worried about brakes, suppressors, etc, but Ill probably be rechambering in the future so I'm sticking with either the xcal lightweight sporter or a custom hand lapped barrel from a gunsmith. Both range right around $450. I've budgeted $200 for little odds and ends (recoil lug/nut, tools, etc) and $5-700 for a scope (new or used, I'm not proud). Add a good amount of my own labor and I think I'll be in business.

I have looked at the stockade stocks. I think that would a great option if I was planning on keeping the blind magazine. But by the time I'd have to get their bottom metal for a detachable magazine and inlet myself Id be time ahead with a different option. Everything I've read about their stocks has been positive. Still something to think about, not sure why I'm stuck on a detachable magazine to be honest. There have a been a couple of situations this past deer season I could have gotten a steadier rest when taking a shot if I didn't have a magazine sticking out the bottom of my rifle.

Now for everything else I've tried to research as much as possible and compare weights, prices, cost vs gain, need vs want, etc. I'm sure there are things I've missed whether it be different makers I'm not aware of or my weights might be bit on the high side. The one thing that seems to want to push the weight up on my planned build is stock choice. I really like the ergonomics of a chassis but the one's in the price range I'm comfortable with (roughly $500 give or take a little) weight 4lbs on average.

One thing that seems to also be throwing my cost higher than others is it seems like most already have the rifle and are not including it's cost in their build budget. I don't have the rifle yet so I have to add that into my budget. When I do that no matter what options I go with don't see how I'm going to be cheaper than $1,300 regardless of weight unless I don't change out the existing barrel or stock. And if I have to buy an action or a different rifle my build cost will go up by that amount.

LR

Banned
    I have looked at the stockade stocks. I think that would a great option if I was planning on keeping the blind magazine. But by the time I'd have to get their bottom metal for a detachable magazine and inlet myself Id be time ahead with a different option. Everything I've read about their stocks has been positive. Still something to think about, not sure why I'm stuck on a detachable magazine to be honest. There have a been a couple of situations this past deer season I could have gotten a steadier rest when taking a shot if I didn't have a magazine sticking out the bottom of my rifle.

Now for everything else I've tried to research as much as possible and compare weights, prices, cost vs gain, need vs want, etc. I'm sure there are things I've missed whether it be different makers I'm not aware of or my weights might be bit on the high side. The one thing that seems to want to push the weight up on my planned build is stock choice. I really like the ergonomics of a chassis but the one's in the price range I'm comfortable with (roughly $500 give or take a little) weight 4lbs on average.

One thing that seems to also be throwing my cost higher than others is it seems like most already have the rifle and are not including it's cost in their build budget. I don't have the rifle yet so I have to add that into my budget. When I do that no matter what options I go with don't see how I'm going to be cheaper than $1,300 regardless of weight unless I don't change out the existing barrel or stock. And if I have to buy an action or a different rifle my build cost will go up by that amount.

LR
    Of course you don’t have to do everything all at once. Are you planning to purchase new or used, (just for the Action?) If new, I’d recommend getting the cartridge you want & use the factory barrel until it’s shot out. Then swap barrels. Everything else, just do a bit at a time. I’ll be honest though: if you want a certain Chassis that costs $1300, bide your time (and dollars), wait until there’s a sale and get it. One, you’ll always be happy with it, & two, if you go with something else because of cost but it’s not what you want, you’ll end up getting your First option…., eventually.

For me, I built from the start because I was prepared to do so from the start. I looked & found the least expensive 110 I could. Unfortunately, those days are long gone! Finding any Savage for under even $400 is difficult now, let alone around $250! Also, Savage 110’s we’re already my rifle of choice, having owned several since 18yo. And I’ve completely rebuilt my current Savage Twice, because I love building, modifying, diagnosing, repairing and anything else doing with firearms! But that’s just me. I’m one of the rarities. Although, of course I enjoy shooting very much, I truthfully enjoy building & working on Firearms more.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm Scream View Post
    Man if youre on a budget, id say skip the cf stock idea. Just get a lightweight tupperware stock. Then you could spend a few more bucks on other components if needed.
    In my case, the CF stock is comfortably within my budget.... I'm basically doing the whole project with unbudgeted dollars (ie yard sale and eBay funds) so it's all good... I'm just cheap and I like a challenge!

LReece, I think Woox has a ~3 lb chassis for around $600. I was interested for a minute because it incorporates wood furniture (so a possible area to lose more weight) and has pretty traditional rifle ergonomics, which I prefer.... Might be worth a look. I'd also echo Dave. Just do it Johnny Cash style.... One piece at a time.... That lets you hunt, bargain hunt, and keep paying the electric bill.

Basic Member
    Btw, check out your local used market... I picked my 110 up at a yard sale for something like $160 with a scope... Bought a .22 at a different yard sale for $15 a couple years ago as well.

Basic Member
    In my case, the CF stock is comfortably within my budget.... I'm basically doing the whole project with unbudgeted dollars (ie yard sale and eBay funds) so it's all good... I'm just cheap and I like a challenge!

LReece, I think Woox has a ~3 lb chassis for around $600. I was interested for a minute because it incorporates wood furniture (so a possible area to lose more weight) and has pretty traditional rifle ergonomics, which I prefer.... Might be worth a look. I'd also echo Dave. Just do it Johnny Cash style.... One piece at a time.... That lets you hunt, bargain hunt, and keep paying the electric bill.
    I've got another thread where I was looking at options for this project. Yep it will be one part at a time for sure. It's actually an old rifle of mine that I sold off to a family member about 5 years ago. I'm only considering it because I can get it back pretty cheap. Hopefully I can get it back this summer. More than likely it will sit until next year and then I'll just put it into some kind of stock or chassis and hunt with it for a season. Then change the barrel out and do some small odds and ends.

I've seen the Woox but they just don't interest me.

LR

Not to highjack the OP but anyone have first hand experience with either the MDT Oryx or XRS chassis. New to the whole building a rifle thing. I am doing a budget build and re-barreling my 116 to from 300WM to 7 PRC. I have ordered a Shilen barrel, and have a Zeiss from the donor rifle so just need to find a stock. It seems these are pretty affordable just wondering if those that have them like them. I don' want to spend $5-600 and decide I don't like it to then upgrade to the HNT26 which is what I would really like to have but for the extra $1000 I can look at adding a suppressor. TIA