Thread: 116 300 WM Weather Warrior Re-Barrel

116 300 WM Weather Warrior Re-Barrel

Looking to re-barrel one of my 116 Weather Warriors from 300 WM trying to decide on what caliber, as well as a replacement stock. Don't really have a current budget but if it's looing like it would be $2,500 or so I will just buy me another Seekins Element. Thinking about a 7PRC as I have another 300, 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM. Have not re-barreled a rifle before and I know there are a lot of barrel makers. I know everyone has their preferred barrel. who has experience with Shilen barrels? Would you buy another one? What are some of your favorite barrel Manufacturers. I also kind of like the look of a MPA-Lite chassis but does not look like they have one for a savage action. Any input is appreciated as this will be my first time building a rifle so to speak.

Thanks in advance

Banned
    $2500 for a Barrel & Stock? I have one of the most expensive Aluminum Chassis and put a new Criterion on in the fall, for under $1500. What parts you looking at?

Is lightweight your goal? The MDT HNT-26 is the lightest out there. https://mdttac.com/hnt26-chassis-system/

You are right about barrels. Shilen & Criterion are likely the most popular. I’ve had both. Both work very well. Northland Shooters Supply is a good place for either. You call & speak with Jim there. He’ll make sure you have everything needed if you’re not sure on it. There is also McGowan, X-Caliber, Proof Research(though very pricey), Kreiger, Preferred, and Shaw or EABCO on the lower end. As well as a few more more lesser known.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by bbean70 View Post
    who has experience with Shilen barrels? Would you buy another one?
    I do and yes I would buy another. I also have an X-Caliber I'm very happy with.

There are several barrel makers who offer Savage pre-fits, just a matter of picking the one you like that will chamber in caliber of choice for price you're willing to pay.

If I do another I'll get it from Pac-Nor.

Basic Member
    Really depends on what you want to do with it. If really precise is what you need, then spend more money on the barrel. If it is informal, varmint or hunting then the Shilen and Criterion do well. My 6BR is a Shilen. When I buy a .30BR for cast bullet stuff it will probably be another Shilen. When the 6BR wears out it will get something a bit better, like a Hart, Lilja, Bartlein, etc.

Changing the barrel on a Savage is about as simple as it can get. Like Dave said, call Northland and they will get you what you need and make sure you know how to use it.

Unless you include a scope in the number Dave's $1500 is a good number.

Basic Member
    28 Nosler. That is if you want to reach way out there. WHere do you live and what are you going to hunt? I saw a guy hit an Elk with a 6.5PRC at 885 yards and it went 15 feet. Sounds like you already have most of the bases covered so maybe sell it and put that money towards a a good scope. Kahles, Tangent Theta etc or also sell the 6.5CM and add that money to the kitty.

Basic Member
    I also saw a guy hit an elk at 840yd with a .300WM and they never found it. Caliber does not matter as much as placement.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I also saw a guy hit an elk at 840yd with a .300WM and they never found it. Caliber does not matter as much as placement.
    No argument there Charlie.

What chassis do you have. I like the HNT26. MPA does not make any that will fit a Savage Action anymore. I will check out Northland Shooters Supply

Banned
    I use a Mirage URL Chassis. (Only Savage wearing one far as I know.) But it’s not for a lightweight affair.

Team Savage
    Full size image and that looks NICE :)