Thread: New members talk me out of giving up on savage

Basic Member

New members talk me out of giving up on savage

Hey y’all,

I joined about 2 months ago inquiring about a factory ported heavy barrel 1993 3006 And got some help. Wood 110 shoots lights out. I liked it so good I found another nice one wood 308. Both of these rifles did well will some tinkering new timney triggers some polishing bolt lift kits and I love them.

always wanted a 6.5 creed found a heavy barrel axis at academy bought it then learned about the heavy bolt lift and when I say heavy I know what heavy is. Tried to removed the BAS screw that was gorilla torked in to put a bolt lift kit in and a new bolt handle to help. Watched some videos this would have been my third time I did the other 2 rifles before this myself. Read where axis rifle in particular can be extremely difficult to back out. Got the old Cheater bar and stripped it of course. Trip to the gunsmith to remove new BAS screw. Got another on the way will be torked to human tightness

bought a brand new savage 12 bctsv heavy barrel 22 250 had cycling issues read about the fixes on that could not get it straight took that gunsmith and is flawless now. Shoots lights out cycles well. Last and old savage 17 hmr never any
    trouble. All of these are done shooters at a hundred. But all took work or gunsmithing is this what I am to expect with savage rifles. I have a large collection of all types of rifles yes some high end but savage appeals to me for 2 reasons. Duty and accuracy. I eat meat and hunt hard.

I purchased the two old ones from a private Collection recently. the 17 was had forever. The 12 heavy was new.

which brings me to yesterday. Brand new 6.5 creed savage 10 ultralight the fancy one with the carbon fiber barrel. It was marked down to an excellent price. I cycle the bolt and it felt very rough but I’ve read this will smooth out and was also told this by the gun dealer. So today worried about the feeding issues like the model 12 I loaded the mag put the 3 position safety to the cycle safe position and guess what cycles terrible almost can’t closed the bolt without excessive downward pressure doesn’t feel right. I know how to load a mag and pop it in. This gun is brand new expensive flagship model. I fix stuff I am mechanically inclined. But should I really have to work on a brand new rifle that goes for in the ballpark of 1500 bucks not to mention excessive downforce on the bolt risking a slam fire. I know there is a safety but I’ve seen slam fires. I’m keeping all my other savages cuz I got them tweaked and I love them. My friends son
    Down the street wants to get into hunting. I’d like to recommend a savage with the accustock to grow with him but I don’t know if I can. He can’t tinker with anything and if he has problems that would be bad for a first gun and impression especially comming from me. I’m calling savage Tues after I call my gunsmith tomorrow and chat with him. What say y’all. Will savage make this one right? Or shall I try to get my money back and no more new savages or old ones.

Basic Member
    Shoot dimes at 100 not done at 100.

Banned
    It’s new. New rifles with problems should be sent back for warranty. True Savage fans like myself & others here do not purchase $1500+ Savages! In fact, I won’t even buy a new one. Because I like building them myself. My 110’s have NO issues because I eliminate all possibility of potential problems as I’m going. You are not likely to find many here who are going to support Savage’s business model. It’s been piss poor for some time. Your Flagship Model 110 is basically an <$500 gun with a $1000 Barrel installed. And it weighs 6lbs! THAT in itself is a big deal. So the $1500 is monetarily correct considering it’s wearing a Proof Carbon Fiber barrel (which I’m no fan of CF barrels either.) That barrel & meeting that low weight, on any other rifle & you’re looking at over $2000 price tag. Seeing as all the money is tide up in the barrel, yes, it’s going to have the same issues. Savage refuses to address problems which have been known & inherent in the 110 for decades. It’s taken regular, right here on SavageShooters to come up with the Modifications. If I were going to get another 110 at the moment, it would be a Trail Hunter. That is a smokin’ deal!

Once again I must point out that Savage arms is by far the leading seller of Bolt Action rifles in the US. (In the World actually). So of course we are going to hear of, read about & see more units with malfunctions over all the other platforms. But the fact is, many, MANY more Savages are in hands and exhibit zero malfunctions. But we don’t hear about those. (Kinda ironic, huh? LOL!) My advice to your friend is either look at lower cost 110 or go with another brand if he wants higher end. But DON’T purchase a high end Savage! Those are two words which do not belong together! I still believe the Savage 110 is meant for hunters & shooters looking for a low cost rifles, those who like to tinker and hard core firearms builders with avid to professional gunsmithing skills, like myself & several others here.

Basic Member
    Well that’s nice to know now talk about buyers remorse. I was wondering why price was 1075 new out the door box papers and all. Carbon fiber barell,imprinting blah blah. Well the other 4 I have I love now. The two 110s are nice after minimal tinkering I can do myself. By the way new owners of old savage rifles long action savages are really long. Short actions are also long. Trust me take into consideration for any and all scope mounting. I am curious to see how customers service responds. Won’t be the first 1000 dollar impulse lesson I’ve suffered but it will be the last from savage. I’m going to look for the old good affordable tweakable ones.

Banned
    You got it for $1075? You never said that. Well now that’s a heck of a deal! Again, the barrel alone is almost worth that! Send it back to Savage to fix the problems & you will have a great shooter. I simply said I wouldn’t use a CF barrel. That’s not to say they aren’t outstanding barrels. I’m simply not looking for a lightweight gun. But something about it attracted you, right?

Every problem on Savage rifles is fixable. And from there they are outstanding. You should not feel bad considering what you paid for it. Had you paid $1500, or even $1400, it would have been another story. But at $1075, good deal. Can’t build one with a Proof CF barrel for that cheap, even if I HAD an Action to start off with!

And who knows.. you may be able to repair it yourself. I don’t know your ability. I wouldn’t bet an eyelash personally, as I know I would be able to diagnose repair the rifle myself.

Basic Member
    Ya I know! 1075 out door brand new box papers all the accustock accufit stuff all there. I just did the warranty on line. That’s the only reason I squeezed that much dough out. I got collectibles. I like to shoot the piss out of these savage cuz they shoot better than these fancy azz other rifles. And as I said I hunt hard. I wont abuse them and keep them tip top but if you have ever refinished a high luster epoxy stock you know what I mean. I bought this one specifically because of the lightweight and the accufit for my smallish daughters and 6.5 creed they can handle. They shoot the 260 and 243 well. Only reason it was prolly still there is because where I live the 6.5 creed is still as foreign as a laser beam for these old timers and rednecks. I think it’s superbly accurate and dispatches our small northwest Florida deer easily and them big nasty hawgs too. Head shots and neck shots on pigs are effortless. Thanks for the reply I will take your advice and send it to savage and keep y’all posted. My skills are pretty basic. I can put a timney in and mounts scopes minor trouble shooting rebuild bolts but real work I defer to my gunsmith. the appeal of this savage business I have a feeling I can learn. None of it looks terrible difficult including a barrel swap. That looks fun. But I have been wrong before.

Basic Member
    Again thanks I feel a lot better. And I do really want to love savage.

Basic Member
    Took the new savage 110 6.5 creedmoor to the gunsmith before calling savage to see if there was a problem. He told me after cycling live rounds nothing was wrong and he was impressed with the he rifle. Now he cycled rounds much more forceful and quicker than I was and told me it was tight and new and that was ok and not to baby it. It will loosen up. I stand corrected and will take his advice.

the axis was a different story and required polishing and honing of the chamber and feed ramp that was covered in fine brass dust from me cycling shells for testing. So I am happy with my other 4 savages. The axis after some work cycles much smoother not perfect. He also said this will smooth out and to shoot the piss out of it and also don’t baby it. I’ve learned some savages need tinkering smoothing out and I will do my part because they are super stupid accurate and work horses. I bought the axis new cheap and it was a gun I’m leaving in my truck during hunting season so I can blaze out of work and hunt when I get a chance. If it got stolen I would not be crying. Anyways there is my update

I just purchased the 110 ultralite myself (my 1st Savage). I went with 300wsm. I paid out of pocket $860 for mine BNIB. Cabela's have then on huge clearance plus 5% vet discount, plus a free $200 gift card I got from work. It was a no brainer for me. Anyway good luck on the 6.5 CM. Been reloading that for several years now and love shooting that cartridge.

Basic Member
    Holy crap! That was even stealier than I thought I stole mine for. Congrats! The money I spend saving money is just crippling. My tally lightweights coming. My buddy who is a bench rest shootin nut sold me his leopoid 3x15x44 vh5 with this busy reticle Moa 29 I believe. The Christmas tree kinda upside down reticle. He tried to blend long range and hunting when starting out. Keep them mostly separate I understand is best. He is going to help me dial this rifle in and order the custom dial. Can’t wait to be ready for next hunting season. Hell I may even feel comfortable with a 300 yd shot!

Basic Member
    I have a few Savage rifles (twelve and counting) and I like them all. The thing I like is how you can easily build them into whatever you want. They are easy to swap barrels and head space, the actions can be lapped in and get smooth as glass, and the factory trigger if you know what you are doing can be made to be as good as the aftermarkets. The real secret is the AXIS, cheap and rigid. The machine work on them can be cleaned up (blueprinted) and re-barreled, restocked etc.. The Axis actions are so thick and rigid when built right they can be serious contenders in long range shooting. I however understand not everyone wants to work on rifles, you want to pay for one and shoot, on the other hand I have Axis rifles with $1500 in them easy not counting labor, but they shoot groups few would believe if they did not see them. Groups so tight that when you shoot 3 rounds you think you missed twice...

Yeah that is an AXIS in the pic in .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axis 300WSM.jpg  

I totally agree with you Dave but, around her in central Georgia, used Savages are getting hard to find? I used to be able to find used in pawn and gun shops for $175 to $200 but not any more....sad.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67