Thread: Savage 11 300 blackout feeding/ejecting issues

Savage 11 300 blackout feeding/ejecting issues

Hey Gents.

A few years ago I had a rem 700 300 blk that was marked 1/7 but was actually a 1/10. It didnt stabilize heavy bullets well, so I sold it and decided to build my own. I bought a sav model 11 action (I think thats what it is) from Northland and an 8" criterion bbl. I sent the action off to a gun smith in Ohio or Indiana or something. I honestly dont remember his name. He came highly recommended on here. Anyhow he did all the stuff he does to actions and even made some modification to make it eject 300 blk properly. But that seems to have been a waste of money because it doesnt eject. Well thats not true. It ejects some cases, maybe 1 of 50, absolutely beautifully. I originally thought it liked longer cases because it seemed to eject Hornady cases that measured a bit longer than my home made ones. So I made a batch and trimmed them slightly longer that the Hornady...nope. They fall right off the bolt onto my mag.

It also doesnt feed. I have the action in a YHM marc sport chassis that takes AICS mags. I have the 223 mag from MDT with the block in it so 223 doesnt go all the way to the back of the mag. Im mostly using NOE 311-247 cast and PC bullets and I figured the problem was the giant meplat on the bullet. But I loaded a couple hundred jacketed spitzer 150s and they dont feed either. Both bullets seem to hit the edge of the barrel before entering the chamber and then pop out of the mag. Its pretty frustrating to say the least. I have the lee 309-230 ordered hoping the longer pointed bullet helps but Im not sure it will.

Currently the best way to shoot this thing is to take the mag out and single load through the ejection port and then it will nicely pile brass up under the mag well. Exactly the opposite of what I had hoped!

I tried to search this forum for help but didnt really find much. Id appreciate some advice on how to get it running if anyone knows a way. If I cant Im considering knocking this barrel off and switching it to something longer Maybe a 6 BRA but that is not really what I want to do.

After a bit more thought and reading, I think the gun smith was Sharp Shooter Supply

Have you tried to contact the smith to see what they have to say? I know of an unmodified one that a guy just head spaced the aftermarket barrel, it loads and extracts perfectly. I don't see why SSS could not work with you.

A 6 bra is another short case that has extraction and loading issues. Why on earth would you want to do that? Have you considered a Howa super short action or a custom action?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    If you had SSS do this, and you are positive of that, you should contact him here and arrange to have him rectify any issues you paid for. If indeed that’s what was done. Fred is a member here and posts regularly. His handle name is sharpshooter. It’s very important you give him the opportunity to make things right. If indeed it was. And that applies to anyone to a job. Give them the curtesy to make good. It’s also equally important, after the that chance is given, to share the outcome with others. And not just the bad! If things are made right, kudos should be given. It’s not right taking the attitude “it should have been 100% the first time!” Could be a new problem altogether. And even if it was fault of a builder, they are human, like all of us. Mistakes can be rectified. It’s how the 2nd attempt goes which tells the tale. Give it a try. Or, maybe he’ll reach out to you. No doubt he will see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    A 6 bra is another short case that has extraction and loading issues. Why on earth would you want to do that?
    It was meant to be a joke. I guess the humor didnt translate through text.

I found my email thread with the folks at SSS. It was them for sure.

I wasnt trying to make any kind of stink about it. I actually emailed them after I found the thread. Im not sure its really their responsibility to deal with it. I had the work done in 22 and basically didnt have time to mess with the rifle for a couple years. I was finishing my doctorate and super busy. Thats all done now and I play with this stuff basically daily. But since its been so long I doubt I could reasonably expect it to be fixed.