Thread: 110 ultralight 6.5 PRC

110 ultralight 6.5 PRC

I picked up my new ultralight at the gun shop today and I have to rebed the stock because it's so flimsy the stock is pushing on the barrel on the left side and a gap on the right side. I am sorry I didn't go with the Bergara Ridge Carbon Wilderness. Spending this much money and get a $2.00 stock.

Banned
    Well, yeah! You bought a 6lb. rifle with a Proof Carbon Fiber barrel for around $1500! You complain about the cost, yet, to get anywhere near that weight with a CF barrel and better stock in a Bergara, the price is well over $2,000! And they don’t use Proof CF barrels. To do that 6lb. weight & sub $1500 cost, something must be cut.
    You can have two from the list below, but not all three!
    High Quality
    Low Cost
    Lightweight

I do think it’s a bit premature cursing the rifle before ever putting a single round down range. Not sure what you are looking for? To come to a savage forum and complain that you should have gone with another rifle? I can say, you’re not telling us anything new about Savage. I, for one, have a list of faults with their business practice. What you should have done is researched before you got all excited about the CF barrel & the cost. You’d have spent a lot more on a comparable weight Bergara. (Though they have their own idiosyncrasies, all rifles do.) Sorry you’re not happy with your Savage. (Barring a single round from the barrel & all.. I’d at least try to shoot a few groups.)You can likely still sell it for close to what you paid & go get a Bergara. Or.. when you are able, order a better stock. But remember, a cost effective stock is going to add a little weight. Likewise, if you want a high quality/rigid and lightweight stock, the cost is going to go way up. (That same list of three elements thing.)

Edit: Lastly, welcome to forum. Nothing is meant to discourage, even if it sounds that way. I’m just being honest.

Basic Member
    I also think it is sad that Savage does that kind of thing. They make the basis for a really good rifle then use a component that messes it all up. This case it is all about being light. It should be easy for them to not have these kinds of issues, but, they continue to pop up. And the customer should not have to research the net to find out the problems, especially on the 'custom' rifles. I can understand this on the lower end like the Axis or the basic 110 models, but not on the more expensive models.

The good part is it is easy to grind/sand out the barrel channel. I like to remove a lot of material from the stock around the barrel to make sure it doesn't touch. Even when a factory stock is made 'correctly' I open it up a bit more.

Banned
    Charlie, are you saying it’s not the consumer’s responsibility to know of the products they purchase, before they purchase? Remember, ignorance is no excuse. And we have only ourselves to blame. Shifting blame from & using the words, But I didn’t know, is a game for professional victims in my opinion. (Not calling either of you that, so please don’t jump to that conclusion.)

In the end, it’s a $400 rifle with a $1,000 barrel and it weighs 6 Pounds! Now, I don’t want one. And I would certainly hope you know I’m not defending Savage for their business model over the years. (It’s the 10/110 Platform I’m fond of, not the suits running the place!) But facts are facts. A rifle that weights 6lbs. with a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel, the absolute top of the line CF barrels in the business, and offered at around $1500 is not a rip off. Period!

So you joined the site yesterday just to complain about your purchase? I mean all the Savage Ultralites have the same action/barrel/stock setup so it’s not like the one you got is different from any other one out there. What it shows is that it’s obvious you did not do your due diligence when shopping for a new rifle. Otherwise you would’ve known the stock was cheap and flimsy before you spent all that money.

A lot of guys are putting the barreled action into a chassis or the Stockys VG2 carbon stock and end up with a super light and solid rifle.

Sorry you regret your purchase, but you might be pleasantly surprised once you shoot it.

Basic Member
    I understand due diligence, but, producing a rifle at that price with a stock that interferes with the barrel is horrible business. I can understand it on a $400 Axis, but, not a >$1000 rifle, even if it does have an expensive barrel. And you can bet Savage does not pay $800 for them.

I totally agree Charlie. Savage definitely fell short in that regard. They could’ve put a better stock on it and sold it for more, but being about 6lb was probably the goal and they couldn’t reach that with any other stock and keep a similar price point.

My point was that a buyer would know about the lacking stock pretty much as soon as you put one in your hands. So if you’re gonna spend that much for a gun go look at one first. They’re sitting in racks at every Cabelas and a lot of gun shops. Hell do a google search for the rifles reviews and every forum will tell you the stock sucks.

A year or so ago I wanted to buy a lighter deer/bear rifle. Being the diehard Savage guy I am I had my sights set on the Ultralite, but some sales on others were going on so I took a trip to Cabelas to fondle some. As soon as I picked up the Ultralite it was over for me cause I didn’t want to replace the stock right out of the gate and knew I wouldn’t be satisfied with the feel of it. To me it’s worse than the plain Jane stocks from 20 years ago. So I came home with a CA Mesa for $900 instead and really like it. Just hard to shoot at the range with the pencil barrel. Heats up way too fast…lol
    I will still have an Ultralite before it’s all over, whether it’s a stock rifle or just the barrel for a build with a carbon barrel, but I will have a different stock ready for it when I do.

Given the inflated costs of firearms w/ inflation, $1000 for a firearm is becoming more the norm than the exception. You'll pay an average of $500+ for most budget minded rifles, $600-$800 for mid range.. I paid $1,099.97 @ Cabelas for my 300 WSM Ultralite, which by the way they still have Ultralites at that clearance price. Originally was looking at a storm, but the extra $400 for a blueprinted action w/ custom barrel seemed worth it. Honestly, the clearance price was the selling point and probably wouldn't have gone that route for regular price.

There's enough info out there to know what to expect. I was planning on getting a chassis anyways, but the factory stock was easily bedded and stiffened using some fairly benign techniques. Weight gain was negligible I may/may not use the factory stock for hunting because there are some benefits over an aluminum chassis. Not fond of the accutrigger, but then again you know what your getting before buying and doesn't take much to swap out a Timney or Rifle Basix... Bottom line, I knew what I was getting and was more interested in the action/barrel vs. factory stock and trigger.. You Tube is your friend, just use some common sense.

Basic Member
    I don't mind paying high dollar for decent products, just not for bargain items. I ordered my BVSS sight unseen through Sportsman's. The good part about that was I could have refused it on the spot, but, it was what I expected so I kept it, and glad I did. I do wish I had gone with my other choice, the F model, to get the target trigger, but, that was on me. The nice thing is the only change I've made to it was a new barrel, and it'll probably need another new one later this year or next :)

I'm not saying Savage is junk. I have others that are great. I just feel they cut quality on the stock just to be so light weight. If your stock isn't good but the rest of it is is it a great rifle. It think they hurt themselves by going so flimsy with the stock. Mine will get a new stock. Sorry if I butt hurt anyone's feelings Dave.

Banned
    Lol.. No, I can promise you that couldn’t happen. Trust me pard, you’re not even a blip on anyone’s radar. I wish you luck in whatever you choose, and have fun with your, uhh., “other” Savages, ​which are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevescummins View Post
    I'm not saying Savage is junk. I have others that are great. I just feel they cut quality on the stock just to be so light weight. If your stock isn't good but the rest of it is is it a great rifle. It think they hurt themselves by going so flimsy with the stock. Mine will get a new stock. Sorry if I butt hurt anyone's feelings Dave.
    Agreed, but unfortunately Savage has been going through a period of identity crisis for several years now. They had always been known as a budget friendly brand that offered great accuracy, but over the last 10-15 years they've been trying to inch their way into the higher grade markets with more feature laden product offerings, and they've had mixed success with it. The problem is that often times their offerings end up being a mismatched pairing of the two differing directions and you get a product like you just purchased that has a premium barrel, a run of the mill action, and a cheaper than cheap stock made from recycled milk jugs that costs an arm and a leg. I mean, you don't put a stock from your cheapest $500 entry level rifle on one your premium tier $1,500 rifles - it's just common sense given the difference in cost.

I don't care what anyone says, it would be a cold day in hell before I would ever pay more than a $1,000 for a rifle based on a Savage 110 action. I don't care how expensive a chassis or carbon fiber stock they fit to it, who's barrel they screw onto it, or how great a trigger they put on it - at the end of the day it's still a Savage 110 at it's heard and as such carries within it all the well known and long-standing issues that are inherent to that action. If I'm going to spend that much on a Savage I'm building it as a custom from the parts I choose using a donor action sourced from a new entry level model or something I picked up used.

Simply put, Savage's just aren't the value that they used to be as they have continually increased their prices year after year at a pace faster than several of their competitors. Many who would have been Savage's customers in the past are now buying Howa's, Bergara's, Ruger's and Tikka's instead. Are those guns better than a Savage? That's a matter of opinion I won't get into, but clearly many are seeing them as the better value in todays market for how they're going to be using them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Precisely! Well said.

Well put Jim!

Basic Member
    Exactly my feelings on the issue.