Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of sub 14 oz trigger for a Savage 12 BVSS

Basic Member

In search of sub 14 oz trigger for a Savage 12 BVSS

I'm giving up on the ELF trigger I purchased last year for my BVSS. It just never performed to satisfaction . It feels somewhat mushy and remains as crunchy as a bag of cornflakes ( even after a trip back to the factory). Can anyone recommend a trigger and /or process that can get me below 1# (and preferably closer to 1/2 that?) I see Rifle Basix advertises 14 oz but I'm not sure if that's accurate or if it could be improved upon. This is a bench rest range gun and I'm somewhat used to 10 oz on most of my similarly purposed rifles. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Banned
    Yeeeup. Saw this coming. I’m sorry it hasn’t worked out for you. Well, I’m still an Accutrigger fan. But if you wish a standard trigger, perhaps try a Timney. That is likely the non-Accutrigger I would use based in fact, on Fuj’s testament of it. He stated it was the easiest trigger he’s ever installed. Which I took to mean adjusting as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeeeup. Saw this coming. I’m sorry it hasn’t worked out for you. Well, I’m still an Accutrigger fan. But if you wish a standard trigger, perhaps try a Timney. That is likely the non-Accutrigger I would use based in fact, on Fuj’s testament of it. He stated it was the easiest trigger he’s ever installed. Which I took to mean adjusting as well.
    Thanks for the reply. I was just looking at the Timney online. I have several on my Rem700 actioned ( Bergara and Vudoo) rifles The one Timney states is to replace the acutrigger lists 1.5# as the bottom end though. DO you know that it can be adjusted/ modified to go lower? new spring maybe?
    p..s Leaving town tomorrow for a few days so I won't be able to respond. I will check back when I return.

Banned
    I’m sure it could be worked to go lower. I can get the stock Accutrigger down around 1.5lbs, so I’m sure the Timney can be massaged as well. Haven’t had my hands on one though.

Timney's are on my hunting rifles. The rifles I shoot in competition, all have the red blade Accutriggers
    back in them. All are set for 12 ounces, and all rifles are 17lbs or more. My Timneys are set for 2.5 lbs
    because I use then to hunt with. I do have a Timney in a CZ-457 rimfire that can be set down to 10 ounces,
    But that does you no good.....The trigger from a Savage PTA is what I would look for.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage

I really, really like my red blade target Accutriggers, 8 - 9oz is nice.

Banned
    Yes, I would prefer the Target Accutrigger & Sear over any other trigger. Unfortunately, must purchase a Model 12 Rifle or Action or have an FFL to get hands on one. However, that may soon change. Stay tuned. However, this doesn’t do the OP any good at present.

Unfortunately, the Savage 110’s trigger design wasn’t meant for ultra low trigger weight. Because the Sear & bolt release are 1-piece, it’s much more highly influenced than others. The design has prevented the masters like Jewell and TriggerTech from creating one for the platform. The closest coming from Jard. (And we are all aware of what a failure that was.) A-shame. I really had high hopes for its potential. Unfortunately, this also puts the 110 more in danger of Sear fall after closing the bolt; leading to potential accidental discharge. The direct connection between the parts instead of using levers with perpendicular surface contacts is to blame. Just as other platforms triggers have done. I’ll be honest, I would not want to use a standard trigger below about 1.5-2lbs. With the Accutrigger it’s fine. Although the Sear can still follow the bolt on closing, accidental discharge is not possible because of the safety blade. While bolt/firing pin follow is also possible with other brands of rifles as well, the 110 trigger is just more prone. TriggerTech has been “working” on a design for over 2 years now. I have not heard any new info on it.

Basic Member
    I just wish Savage would sell them separately.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I just wish Savage would sell them separately.
    That may very well soon become a reality Charlie. Not through Savage of course, but I would simply encourage anyone who is fond of the Accutrigger & may be looking for trigger replacement to post pone their purchase for a bit. I’m not guaranteeing anything of course, but things are looking favorable.

Team Savage
    Dave,
    Is that spring mod, with the C-582 spring still a viable mod?
    I also saw your mod from a few years back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accutrigger-Mod.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	10431

Banned
    Yessir!

I’ve gone through quite a few different spring combos over the years. I set up all Accutriggers this way, for sometime now. For best results, the Accutrigger safety blade spring should be replaced as well. I have gone to grinding down the keep point on the blade & since the new system rings I use don’t have the smaller diameter section that is fit in the hole in the trigger, I turn down machine a piece of brass rod to press into the trigger as a keeper for the spring. Problem is the same for those who only replace the standard Accutrigger spring with a Target Accutrigger spring. On the regular Accutrigger, if only the trigger spring is replaced, it has trouble keeping up with the factory safety blade spring. This can cause the Sear to trip before the safety blade clears. Same as depressing the side of the trigger without the safety blade. Pics below.

Here is a complete trigger after stoning & with Titanium shims, the new springs with keeper mods and overtravel stop. This is the last one I set up for another member here.

This is exactly how I’ve set up my own Accutrigger. And it’s quite nice feeling. Not 14oz light, but light. With no creep, no grit/fade, breaks like an fresh icicle over the porch railing & zero overtravel. I mean it just stops like a Formula 1 car on wet tires!

Team Savage
    Source for the blade spring?
    Cut original?
    I take it dropping the blade spring force when used with a lighter trigger spring helps the safety function of the blade-moving before some extraneous force can trip the sear?
    That last picture really looks like you have really refined the Accutrigger.

I'm gonna let the wife shoot some more with the current spring(s) so she is a little more used to it before messing with the trigger. Single shot only. She is absolutely in love with the bolt gun :)

Got a couple of the flat wound firing pin springs in the mail. Installed length you used?
    The trigger pin shims you sent really helped.

Banned
    Rocket, I just got them from Amazon, but I’m sure half a dozen places have them. I don’t know off the top of my head. It was a specific size. I’ll try to find the sizes & let you know. I didn’t invent this style of spring setup on the Accutrigger, but I’d say I pertineer perfected it. You are correct on the safety blade. If the trigger spring is too light, the factory blade spring cannot be overcome first, and thus trips the sear. And again, I had to grind down the nub on the blade that the spring fits over. Otherwise it would hit the brass keeper I installed. Most people don’t know, but the safety blade spring between the Standard & Target Accutrigger is different. The Target Accutrigger uses a much lighter spring. This is why when people install a Target Accutrigger spring in their otherwise factory Standard Accutrigger, it typically starts misbehaving.

Team Savage
    I keep working backwards in time with forums posts.
    Eventually I will have read the entire forum :)
    Just so much info.
    Great place.

I have Rifle Basix SAV-2, 4oz - 3 lb triggers on 3 of my Savage rifles and they are all set at between 4 and 6 oz and work exceptionally well for me. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

To go that low you pretty much need a Rifle Basix SAV2 or a Savage target trigger(with the target sear also).

The Timneys and SAV1’s you can get close to 14oz but probably not less.
    I have a couple SAV1’s and run them at 18oz with no issues.
    I also have a SAV2 and run it at 12oz with no issues. It will go all the way down to about 4oz, although setting it can get finicky when that light and could cause sear trips which can cause accidental firing.
    My target accutrigger is set at 10oz and has no issues, and no chance of accidental fire with the blade in there.

Banned
    Shooters who set the trigger that low are few & far between. Funny thing. None of the top shooters I’ve ever read about go that low. Same with any of the records are done with with these single ounce triggers. Seems like it’s mostly InterWeb shooters who like triggers that ridiculously light. I’m sure there are some. But none I’ve ever seen. You even think about the trigger following the bolt and it’ll trip, LOL!

Team Savage
    When shopping and buying parts to build the wife's Savage I got a SAV-2 (on sale somewhere).
    But, I think I will stick with working on the Accutrigger, primarily because of the safety blade.
    Maybe I'll Caswell Gold plate it :)

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    We, shooting buddy and myself, have put in 4 Rifle Basix. Pretty easy to set all the way down to 7 Oz. If there is an issue with the install the company is really good about taking phone calls and working through the issue. If it continues to be a issue they send you a new one set at what you want. Happy shootin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Shooters who set the trigger that low are few & far between. Funny thing. None of the top shooters I’ve ever read about go that low. Same with any of the records are done with with these single ounce triggers. Seems like it’s mostly InterWeb shooters who like triggers that ridiculously light. I’m sure there are some. But none I’ve ever seen. You even think about the trigger following the bolt and it’ll trip, LOL!
    4 - 6 oz is pretty conservative these days. A bunch of the 40x guys I shoot with have their triggers down under 2 0z. To me, that's a bit light but we all have choices for our particular discipline. My custom 10-22s use KIDD 3.5/3.5 oz 2 stage triggers and they do a fabulous job. For sure none of these are hunting firearms. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    4 - 6 oz is pretty conservative these days. A bunch of the 40x guys I shoot with have their triggers down under 2 0z. To me, that's a bit light but we all have choices for our particular discipline. My custom 10-22s use KIDD 3.5/3.5 oz 2 stage triggers and they do a fabulous job. For sure none of these are hunting firearms. Whatta Hobby!
    Specially when people are using free recoil, it gets real easy to upset point of aim.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Specially when people are using free recoil, it gets real easy to upset point of aim.
    Yep, bag sliders are often used in this discipline. 70 years of shooting and I learn something new every day. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 457 1.jpg   Early rifleman._zpsbcrzxjhs.jpg   Grizzly Bald Eagle rest..jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Team Savage
    Slope in that first pic doesn't give you problems?
    Or, just set for picture?

Banned
    That one old pic is something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast