Thread: Budget 110 .30-06 rebuild

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Budget 110 .30-06 rebuild

My son has really gotten into hunting whitetail deer with me after this past season and having to share one rifle is not going work going forward. I'm looking at possibly rebuilding an older savage 110 that's chambered in .30-06 to be my rifle and let my son use my current one. The rifle that I'm looking at getting is one that I sold off to a family member several years ago to fund my current rifle purchase. I now have the option to buy it back. It would work in it's current state but I also want to use this as an opportunity to build some that's specific to what I want within my budget.

What I'm looking for is advice on the pros and cons of adding what's a substantial amount of money (for me anyway) to a budget action. My goal is to have a pretty flexible rifle that can hunt anything from coyotes to elk but geared mainly for whitetail. If I go this route I would like to keep it a .30-06 but I would be open to changing to a different caliber, but that's not a discussion I want to bring into this particular thread. From my research it looks like most prefit barrels with a threaded muzzle are roughly $500 depending on the options, a budget chassis/stock is also about $500, and I think I can get the gun back for $300. So that puts me roughly in the $1,300 range for this rifle. When looking at starting from an action like the Aero Solus, Origin, another budget custom action, or a barreled action I think my cost would be between $1,800 and $2,300 depending on options. After reading about some issues people have had with different Savage actions with hard use and the current cost of budget custom actions I'm wondering if it's worth considering going the route of a semi custom savage or a semi custom action to start with.

For what it's worth I know I won't recoup the money invested so I don't plan on selling. Thoughts?

LR
    Last edited by LReece; 02-21-2024 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling