Thread: Budget 110 .30-06 rebuild

Basic Member

Budget 110 .30-06 rebuild

My son has really gotten into hunting whitetail deer with me after this past season and having to share one rifle is not going work going forward. I'm looking at possibly rebuilding an older savage 110 that's chambered in .30-06 to be my rifle and let my son use my current one. The rifle that I'm looking at getting is one that I sold off to a family member several years ago to fund my current rifle purchase. I now have the option to buy it back. It would work in it's current state but I also want to use this as an opportunity to build some that's specific to what I want within my budget.

What I'm looking for is advice on the pros and cons of adding what's a substantial amount of money (for me anyway) to a budget action. My goal is to have a pretty flexible rifle that can hunt anything from coyotes to elk but geared mainly for whitetail. If I go this route I would like to keep it a .30-06 but I would be open to changing to a different caliber, but that's not a discussion I want to bring into this particular thread. From my research it looks like most prefit barrels with a threaded muzzle are roughly $500 depending on the options, a budget chassis/stock is also about $500, and I think I can get the gun back for $300. So that puts me roughly in the $1,300 range for this rifle. When looking at starting from an action like the Aero Solus, Origin, another budget custom action, or a barreled action I think my cost would be between $1,800 and $2,300 depending on options. After reading about some issues people have had with different Savage actions with hard use and the current cost of budget custom actions I'm wondering if it's worth considering going the route of a semi custom savage or a semi custom action to start with.

For what it's worth I know I won't recoup the money invested so I don't plan on selling. Thoughts?

LR
    Last edited by LReece; 02-21-2024 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Basic Member
    Welcome.

First, I would say that yes it is worth it. The good thing is you can proceed in steps. You can go to another action, but, it will cost more. For example, you can buy a Howa barreled action from Brownell's for under $500 but you still need a stock and scope mount. Savage actions run under $500 from NSS and then add a barrel. So $300 for a barreled action in a caliber you like is a good deal.

First, I'd get the rifle and shoot it as is. Think about what you'd like to change and the options.

There are many who have used Savage actions for a lot of rounds. My Axis has over 8000 rounds through it. The model 12 has over 6000. Still using stock triggers (with modified springs). Lifetime isn't an issue. You might 'wear out' an extractor or ejector or FP spring(s).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome.

There are many who have used Savage actions for a lot of rounds. My Axis has over 8000 rounds through it. The model 12 has over 6000. Still using stock triggers (with modified springs). Lifetime isn't an issue. You might 'wear out' an extractor or ejector or FP spring(s).

This is the information that I've been looking for. Real world experience beyond the one rifle someone had problems with and complains on every forum about it. Or that it's not expensive enough so it can't work well.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Welcome.

First, I would say that yes it is worth it. The good thing is you can proceed in steps. You can go to another action, but, it will cost more. For example, you can buy a Howa barreled action from Brownell's for under $500 but you still need a stock and scope mount. Savage actions run under $500 from NSS and then add a barrel. So $300 for a barreled action in a caliber you like is a good deal.

First, I'd get the rifle and shoot it as is. Think about what you'd like to change and the options.

Honestly, I've looked heavily at the Howa barreled actions from Brownell's in 6.5CM. That is my current hunting caliber and I could put that rifle together for about $1k. Other than needing to get a stock, it's already setup they way I would build the Savage into with respect to barrel profile and threaded muzzle. It would also keep me from having to stock a different caliber and would honestly do everything I need it to reasonably due. If I'm honest this is the biggest obstacle keeping me from buying my old Savage back.

Another thing that has kept me from going forward is the release of the new Gen2 Ruger American. They're supposed to have a .30-06 in the standard version coming out this quarter and I'm hoping they will use some type of AICS magazine. If they were to do something like that I would probably go that route...but might still pick the Savage up to have for a backup rifle.

LR

Basic Member
    I agree with charlie b. Use the Savage as a starting point, you have a usable rifle for $300. Then you can save money, purchase next upgrade, save money, purchase next upgrade....

One reason I like Savage rifles is the capability to do a lot of modifications/customizing yourself with the purchase of a few tools.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissfan View Post
    I agree with charlie b. Use the Savage as a starting point, you have a usable rifle for $300. Then you can save money, purchase next upgrade, save money, purchase next upgrade....

One reason I like Savage rifles is the capability to do a lot of modifications/customizing yourself with the purchase of a few tools.

At the end of the day that makes the most sense. Then I just need to be realistic on the dollar amount on the upgrades vs what my actual needs are instead of dropping a ton of money on it that just wouldn't be necessary.

LR

Banned
    None of us can really tell you which way to go. My recommendation is to go with your gut. May not be correct, but it’s what’s correct for you right now. To be perfectly honest, don’t rely on dollar amount. I choose Savage Actions because I sincerely enjoy the Savage platform. Doesn’t mean it’s the best. Of course I know custom actions are better. But the Savage Actions are best for me. In that also, I didn’t just start with them or even that I had one a few years ago. No, the Savage 110 platform has been my chosen rifle since I was 18. I’ve had plenty of time/experience with other Actions, platforms…, and I still choose Savage. I’m also not involved with any shooting sports competition any more. My shooting is for shear pleasure in doing. And it involves maintaining, working on/modifying & reloading as well.

You know what’s best for you.

Basic Member
    Brownells is also selling the M1500 with a Hogue stock around $450. Although some folks don’t like the Hogue stock, I love the one I have on my 110 7mag. I have large hands so the stock fits me well. The 06 isn’t available at the moment, but the 7-08, and 308 are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You know what’s best for you.

That's always solid advice to give. I think at the end of the day the rifle/action will work well for my needs, as long as it's not been jacked between when I sold it till now. The only thing I think that would derail my plans is if I just decided I didn't want to stock another rifle caliber. When I refer to cost I know there's a point of dimensioning returns for my intended use vs what options are out there for purchase. At the end of the day I don't need a rifle that will shoot a sub 1/2 moa to kill deer at the ranges I hunt. I'm not shooting competitively so all of the extra things a custom action brings are not of any real benefit for my current needs.

At the moment my plans will be to get the rifle back and mount my current scope on it. If possible change the stock out to a chassis before deer season starts this fall. Then hopefully next spring switch the barrel out to one with just heavy enough of a profile that makes sense for a threaded muzzle and use with a suppressor in a couple of years. My overall weight should still be in the 12lb range (minus a can) at that point. Thankfully I'm not having to walk miles on end to get to my hunting locations.

LR

Banned
    I’m smell’n what you’re step’n in pard. Hell, I don’t even hunt any longer. Haven’t for many years. So I’m not even bound by weight. One thing I’ll add, simply because I’ve built & rebuilt several times. Our tastes change at times throughout our lives. Mine certainly have from being younger & now older. I used to be a big time under budget mindset. And I still do for some things. Glass for instance. I’ve drawn a hard line in the sand for buying scopes. I won’t spend much over $1000 on one. While there was a time when scopes made in certain countries were synonymous with low quality, it’s just not always the case today. My scope at the moment, while being made in China, is higher quality & performs better than than about anything I wanted 20 years ago. But I digress. I’ve spent quite a bit of money on my current Model 10. And I’m proud of its uniqueness. It has some parts no other Savage has. But everything I did I’m happy with. It reflects my firearms character now. And I can honestly say I’m very happy with everything about it. I do hope the same for you my friend, whatever you choose.