Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 western build

6.8 western build

Currently doing a barrel swap on the newer axis style in 25-06. Already have a 6.8 western barrel. Will I need to swap bolt faces??

Banned
    Yes, a new Bolt Head will be needed. The 25-06 uses a Standard (.480”+/-), while the 6.8 Western used a Magnum (.550”+/-).

After further investigating I’ve seen where Dr thunder88 had to modify the bolt shank. I’ve seen where PT&G has a custom offer. I just don’t know what the lug length would be. And if I would need to get the cam clearance kit

Banned
    What do you mean PTG has a custom offer? I can tell you no “cam clearance kit” (whatever that is), is needed. And once again, the regular Magnum Bolt head will work. The 6.8 West. is very close to the 270 WSM, and many people have run them. It’s nothing new… And it’s nothing special that needs extra things to properly run it. New barrel & Magnum Bolt Head.

Basic Member
    I think the OP said this is an AXIS. Does the newer model allow for a magnum with just a bolt head?

Exactly. From what I’ve seen there will not be enough firing pin extrusion with the Axis. DR.Thunder88 put out a video on this. PTG “ pacific tool and gauge.

Banned
    Yes, I’m sorry.. the Bolt head shank needs to be shortened a bit. (To 1”). Here is the Maxis thread showing everything, including DR.Thunder88’s video. However, this is really easy to do. Or, there are many here who would do the mod as a favor. I’d machine the Bolt Head for anyone here.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?338-DrThunder88-s-Maxis-Builds

Although, I’m still waiting for someone to convert their Axis to the adjustable firing pin from the 110. I know I could get the LA firing pin assembly to work. Or I’d simply make my own. I already machined a new Firing Pin striker from S7 Tool steel for my model 10. This would eliminate that stupid cocking indicator pin and allow use of a standard center bearing Lift Kit. Not to mention, the adjustability for pin protrusion. But I don’t have an Axis & not planning on one. If anyone wants to do do the conversion, let me know. I’d like to do it just for the reason of saying, “Yup, I did that!” .LOL!

Just so happens I did order a bolt head and should have it tomorrow. If anyone is interested I “milling” it down please let me know.

Basic Member
    If you don't mind the wait I'd ship the bolt to Dave and get the adj firing pin as well.

The wait won’t bother me. And the adj firing pin?

Banned
    Id be happy to take care of it for you. I’ll PM you.

Ahh.. you can’t Message yet. Need like 25 posts or something. That’s ok. Just email me: davidhoback1@gmail

Email sent

Banned
    To go to the adjustable firing pin you’ll need these below.

1. https://www.gunshack.com/savage-part...sembly-112-116
    2. https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=2897

You might also need the Cocking Pin, but I’m wondering if the Axis cocking pin might still work. Also, I have a couple of these I made in Titanium anyway. Also a BAS. I have that also I think. But I’d recommend getting the Lift Kit from Lumley with the Titanium BAS. https://lumleyarms.us/parts-by-make-...t-lift-kit-old

Email me & we’ll talk.

Banned
    Make sure you have BOTH those parts from Gunshack. The Firing Pin Assembly and the Cocking Sleeve. And you also need a solid BAS, the Bolt Action Screw. I recommend the Titanium BAS from Lumley wit the Lift Kit. Read my post #13 above again with all 3 links.

Thank you sir. All parts are ordered

Basic Member
    I bought the PT&G mag bolt head and used the stock firing pin.

Underhammer, You got that with a 7/16 lug length for a short action?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    PT&G lists SA bolt heads with .44” lugs & LA bolt heads at .5”. And the SA bolt heads can be ordered with any diameter face, including Magnum (.550”) & even Lapua Mag. (.590”), and there is no side note about anything. So yes, it appears they an be ordered like that.

Banned
    I received all the OP’s parts today. I’m installing a Magnum Bolt Head for his MAxis conversion & also converting the Axis Bolt to an Adjustable style firing pin assembly with a standard BAS. & Lift Kit.

I can tell you this so far: the Axis Factory Cocking Pin works fine with the 110 Cocking Piece & Sleeve. The Sleeve locks the Axis Cocking Pin in just as it should. I was thinking I would need to machine another 110 style Cocking Pin for this.

Banned
    I machined the Magnum Bolt Head today. Trued up & put a nice chamfer back in. Although the Shanks are now virtually the same length, the factory Axis Firing Pin will still not work because of the added Lug height. More would need taken from the shank which I wouldn’t do. For those doing a MAxis and wish to continue using the factory Axis firing pin, I recommend getting the Bolt Head from PT&G with magnum face, SA shank & 7/16” lug height. Good thing the OP is getting an Adjustable firing pin, LOL!

Right on! Looking good.

Banned
    Here are the 3 Firing Pin strikers together just for comparison.

Here is the Long Action FP striker before the modification. I have it almost complete and will add the pic after. But the white lines essentially show what needed done for this. The front tip was shorted the amount in the white box, but then the the larger diameter section needed turned down the same amount that was removed. Shown by the white line in front. The rear threaded ported needed the same done. Shorted roughly the amount shown by the rear white outline box. Then I had to thread more of the striker, a bit more than was removed, to give the Cocking Piece the ability to thread on as close to the edge of the Bolt Sleeve as possible. This allows full FP travel. And finally, the flat section for the Cocking Piece lock washer, had to be extended.

Banned
    I finished machining the LA firing pin. Here next to a SA pin.

Please excuse, this is just mock-up to make certain everything fits & functions properly. That is why I left out the front baffle & the spring is just for testing. And so, I present the very first Axis/MAxis Adjustable firing pin assembly.

Capable of proper 035” pin protrusion with plenty of adjustment.

And here shown cocked. Functions normally.

HEY! That doesn’t look like the 1-piece firing pin & 2-spring setup!

Again, the Axis factory Cocking pin works perfectly with the 110 Cocking Piece & Sleeve.

I need to clean the parts & re-blue the firing pin. Should have it ready to go tomorrow.

Beautiful work sir

Banned
    I‘ll have it finished tomorrow. Everything cleaned up & degreased. FP is waiting to be re-blued. I installed the parts in the bolt head & cut like 3 coils off the spring.

The bolt head came stripped.

One thing to everyone. If your think this can be difficult with losing the steel ball & whatnot, try doing it with ONE HAND! LOL! I’ve don’t enough now I have it down pretty good.

Here’s the cut spring. I have a nice bit I do with cut some rings so the end doesn’t stay all Bubba-fide! I head up just the area to bend in a little plate I made, while all the other coils remain cooled. Worked nicely. Then I grind the cut coil flat like the finished end. I’ll do that tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast