Thread: ?? long action/large shank (300 prc) ??

Basic Member

?? long action/large shank (300 prc) ??

I'm hoping for a little input from you guys, as I decide whether or not to buy a 300 prc. It might be premature for me on my experiance to have such, but my feeling is things/prices are relatively quiet and stable now and an election is coming, so my thoughts are now wouldnt be a bad time to purchase if I gonna do it. Anyway, I was leaning towards a 300 win mag, because of avialbulity/selection of ammo, but upon reading, 300 prc sounds good. Some my concerns are: If i buy, and change my mind, will a barrel swap be all I need to do to convert, it to 300 win mag ? The action and ammo, is slightly longer than standard long action I think. I believe the 300 prc im lconsidering, is large shank. I dont know if all/majority of long action magnums are all large shank, or if some small shank, but is the selection of quality aftermarket large shank 300 win mag barrels common ? Also, what other calibers would a 300prc, be able to swap too, if I regretted the 300 prc choice ? thanks.

Banned
    The Action for 300PRC is the same length/width as any other Long Action & it’s a Large Shank. Yes, a Barrel swap would be only thing needed to go to 300 WinMag, or to swap to any other magnum with .532” Bolt Face fit that matter. Also to any long/short Action cartridge with a bolt swap as well. Good Large Shank barrels are plentiful.

Basic Member
    thanks for the short and complete answers

Basic Member
    The other part of the question is why you want such a cartridge. Do you have experience with heavier recoiling rifles?

And, yes, one of the good things about Savages is the ease of changing calibers an barrels. Don't be scared off by a bolt head change either. Even easier than swapping the barrels.

Banned
    Yeah, I was thinking that Charlie. But I’ve learned when a guy(specifically), has his mind set on something, that’s all she wrote! It’s going to happen regardless of knowledgeable recommendations. So I usually save my breath.

Unless a person has their mind set on one of those Bone rattling RUM cartridges. Those evil incarnate RUMs shake MY teeth loose when I just see another person shoot one. LOL! But that 300PRC is a BOOMER.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that Charlie. But I’ve learned when a guy(specifically), has his mind set on something, that’s all she wrote! It’s going to happen regardless of knowledgeable recommendations. So I usually save my breath.

Unless a person has their mind set on one of those Bone rattling RUM cartridges. Those evil incarnate RUMs shake MY teeth loose when I just see another person shoot one. LOL! But that 300PRC is a BOOMER.
    Being this is a recurring thing for you, it may be an issue of your own. Especially being, nothing about my post, fits or matches, what your trying to make me out to be, or catorgorzed as. Also interesting how you make these assumptions w/o knowing anything about me physically. I, having boxed in the 80s-90s, am familiar weight,speed power

Banned
    Wasn’t making you out to be anything. I didn’t say a single thing about you. Sorry you misinterpreted my response… to Charlie…. in which both he & I have had friendly back & forth responses in threads for years. My response was a statement of belief that people be left to choose the cartridge they wish, even when statistics dictate something else will work better. In other words, I was supporting a shooter’s choice to whatever they wish, free of any one else’s disapproval. (Including my own). The comment on the RUM cartridges was tongue in cheek. Forgive the lack of a smiley face, as is customary these days to signify a joke. I’m not quite certain what offended you so, but none of it was meant as such. I assure you I have no care in the World over what you choose.

And, for the record, the only thing reoccurring in my actions here is helping other forum members & shooters, either in customizing parts where I can, giving other members a part or lending a build tool I may have handy or in answering questions & giving recommendations when asked, both quickly & accurately….. like I did in post #2 in this very thread. However, I’ll leave your threads be if that’s your wish.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the explanation. Good board, good people, and info

Banned
    No problem. One thing for future threads, posts, etc… Many of us have known each here in the forum for many, many years. Some even longer, Ha! I’m among the least amount amount of time, and even I’m close to a Decade on the Forum! There are times one of us may be speaking to or relaying an inside joke or such, to another of the long timers, and it seem like its being directed in a derogatory manner, when it’s not meant that way in any fashion. It’s happened before.

A lot of things talked about here. All in good fun and comradery centered around our shared appreciation of firearms tech. & shooting sports.