I noticed a few tidbits on the internet from a few years back about "reintroducing" the Mach 2...I guess Savage decided to chamber the A17 for it? I ran across ammo for it online, which was a little surprising, and at a pretty reasonable price, all things considered.

I used to have a Mach 2 Contender barrel, maybe it was before the introduction of the HMR. I also had a Handi chambered for it for a brief period. I thought it was an interesting round but basically useless unless you had reason to get rid of pests. I did like it for short-range accuracy, though. Flatter than the 22LR and very quite out of a longer barrel.

I've been thinking about a rimfire Contender barrel in pistol length and it crossed my mind that it might be sort of cool to revisit this round. A scoped 10" or maybe a little longer could be pretty cool for target and plinking. I had figured that it was essentially obsolete once the HMR took over but maybe there's a critical mass of firearm offerings that will keep the ammo in production for a while.

Anyone had experience with it in pistol length barrels? Or longer barrels, for that matter?