Thread: What have I learned about Savage axis build.

Basic Member

What have I learned about Savage axis build.

The build is a 6gt. I'm a novice machinist with big idea's. The gun started life as a 6.5 creed from walmart. The is another thread on here with some of the story. And this is the end of it.

Criterion 28'' barrel 7.5 twist
    Sightron 10x50
    Jard trigger @ 14 ounces
    Cheap bipod bought years ago.
    Homemade chassis
    Alpha munition brass
    34grains Varget
    105 Berger vld
    COAL 2.5''
    Best 100 yard group .204
    Best 600 yard group 1.72
    Both shot in Wyoming on a perfect no wind day if you can believe that.

I followed George Gardners advice on facebook to the tee. 33gr varget for 200 rounds. Which I fought trigger issues through out. Some of which were Savage sloppy crap and some machine work on my part. I ordered parts from the gun shack from advice here. Heavier springs. Which helped. But on occasion I still had a light primer strike. I pulled a trigger from a 223 axis and tried to set it fairly light with failure. So I set it heavy to allow the bolt to close without setting off the trigger. Not certain where the pull weight was I went to the range and shot it. The best group there was .317. Pretty happy and several post here I wanted a better trigger. So chasing my tail I bought a Jard trigger. While installing the jard trigger I found out this. My old axis trigger that came with the 6.5 is pourly cast and machined. It is sloppy as all get out where they told me here to shim it. It is somewhere in the .050 slop, and sits cockeyed to the action with the pin in it. The axis trigger from the 223 is better but needs shimmed for slop. I found that the cheap plastic stocks and torquing shit too much will cause interference issues with factory triggers. see my thread the trigger follows the gun. Not A true statement as I have found. Now My part. I did miss the machine work on the chassis by about .010. Not knowing how much clearance I needed from using a mic on the plastic stock to machining mine I tried to follow as close as i could. I had to remove some material from under the bolt release firing mechanism area. This has solve all my issues as of now. THANKS TO ALL HERE. My next is a 6.5 and 7mm prc trail hunter build. Both on their way

Banned
    Nice. One thing. You should include a picture in this thread. Not everyone has seen it in your other thread, or thinks to search your posts.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	10396

Basic Member
    This pic was before the scope and trigger. The black bottom mag will hold a aics mag. It can be removed to take a factory savage mag. Gun weighs 20.3 #s wothout ammo. Speed is low 2900s last check. I have a new to me Labradar so i will report new fps later.