Thread: Trail hunter

Basic Member

Trail hunter

Anyone bought or shot one yet. Your thoughts?

Basic Member
    Is the 6.5 prc and 7 prc large or small shank?

Banned
    They are both Small Shank.

Basic Member
    Pretty sure they are both large shank.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Well I will find out as I ordered one in 6.5 and 7 prc. The deal was to good to pass up.

Banned
    Very clear seeing the Barrel nut. As I said, it’s Small Shank. You can scour the Earth looking for one with a Large Shank Barrel Nut and you won’t find it. So unless they are pulling a fast one, they are all Small Shank. Although can’t even find a picture of the ones with Shorter Barrels. So who knows what Savage is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOf8w2VAT5k

Banned
    Here are some interesting things: We are all for the most part, familiar with the Port style, Target Actions used in the Model 12’s. This Action is also used in the 110 Precision rifles. The Action from the Model 12LRP to be precise. And these Actions are all Large Shank. That much we know. But Savage also started making a Small Shank, Port style Action as well. In both TBR & BBR, but I will concentrate on only the TBR.

Here is the Model 12LRP we know. Obviously Large Shank.

From that, the Models 110 Precision & Precision Elite were derived. Again, Large Shank Target Actions, minus the 6oz. Accutrigger.

Now, here is where I believe Savage introduced the Small Shank, Port Action, as the Model 110 Scout. Then it was followed by, (or perhaps they were introduced around the same time), the 110 Haymaker. Both Small Shank and use a smooth barrel nut.

Finally, Savage lost me here. They introduced the 110 Magpul Hunter, back when.. ok, cool. And it appears to be a Large Shank Port Action. So, nothing wrong there, sure.

However, recently they put out another with the Magpul stock and called the 110 Magpul Scout! It’s a Port style Action, and Small Shank appearing to be the same Action used in the 110 Scout & Haymaker. However, it would seem that Savage reverted back to standard barrel nut for this one.

And now we also have this 110 Trailhunter. Which I think is great value! I’m thinking of getting one just for the Action & parts. But as the video shows in my post above, it is a Small Shank Action. Even in using the 7mm PRC. Going further, as I also said, searching the entire Web will only show these to be of Small Shank, Port Actions, regardless of cartridge. Even the 300 WSM it’s available chambered in. So what is Savage doing here? They seem to be changing things up and confusing people again.

it is small shank. Here’s the same action for sale by Northlander

• Action Configuration Options and Cost:
      Cost: $490.00

• Right Hand
          • Long Action
          • Tungsten cerakote
          • Small Shank
          • .532 Bolt Face
          • Top Bolt Release
          • Target ejection port
          • 0 MOA 2-piece Weaver Base
          • 4 Round plastic detachable box mag & plastic bottom metal & trigger guard (Also accepts 3.850" CIP length AICS magazines)
          • AccuTrigger

Basic Member
    Any rifles currently chambered in PRC, or a WSM will be on a large shank receiver.... No matter what the pics look like.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Any rifles currently chambered in PRC, or a WSM will be on a large shank receiver.... No matter what the pics look like.
    You need to watch the video I posted. You are wrong. Unless Savage decided to start using the Small Shank Barrel Nuts on a Large Shank. But the video is very clear. The guy has a 7mmPRC. And the PRC he is shooting has a Small Shank Barre Nut. So??

? J@A just sold this trail hunter takeoff barrel on eBay? Says it was a small shank?

I did think that all the prc’s were large shank till I saw the barrel nut on this rifle and then this small shank barrel for sale. I know this small shank action w/ target port is a new offering. Looks like the small shank prc is as well?

Banned
    Just as I said from the start, then went and found proof to back it up.

Good find on that one as well pdog. I know you get it.

Basic Member
    I have the 6.5 prc in hand. The shanks is 1.120. Not here to piss in anyone's cheerios.

The chamber is tight. The factory Hornaday 143 eldx has zero case to shoulder space. I hope to get a set of go/no go gauges from 4D rental seeing how they are local. I resized a Hornaday from a friends gun that will not chamber. His gun is a savage 110 with a proof barrel. My dies is a Hornaday. I need to see if it will chamber in his gun. His head space is .008 over the factory eldx. My die will only set it back to .006.

Banned
    Would love to see pics of your rifle specifically.

Good to know. Not sure what J&A was selling then in my previous post? Or if it was a description error?
    Glad you got the new toy. Let us know how it shoots

Basic Member
    I'm heading to the shop to assemble a motor. When I get back this evening I will take pics. Hopefully I can get out to shoot it this week after work. I could have shot it yesterday in 40 mph winds. Same for today. I don't feel much like wasting ammo. I have 20 rounds of Hornaday 143eldx that weigh from 419.0 to 424.3gr. So @ 100yd. I might be ok. I don't expect much as the barrel is new. Just wanting to break it in.

Basic Member
    Pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5 prc 1.jpg   6.5 prc.jpg  

Banned
    Thank you whywindser. Did Savage pulled a fast one? Yours is definitely Large shank. But the Trail Hunter in 7mm PRS from the video I posted is definitely a small shank. Right here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOf8w2VAT5k I wonder if they made just the first of them in Small Shank to get them out?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Savage hasn't made a newer style beltless magnum on a standard shank for almost 20 years. Originally the WSM's and the RUM's were made on a standard shank for about 9 months......that's when the problems first started, and when they realized they needed to correct it before things got out of hand. That's when the larger shank was used.

Banned
    Than explain the video?