Thread: 110 FP Tactical feed issue

110 FP Tactical feed issue

Just picked up a 110 FP Tactical yesterday, with a SightMark 4x16 Triple Duty scope. Chambered in .308
    This is my first modern bolt action gun. I've got some pistols, AR's, and some milsups.
    I want to go deer hunting this year (never been) and picked this up to learn how to shoot long distance.
    From the research I've done. Its a Flat Back, Long Action, Pre-Accutrigger 110. Looks like it was manufactured in 1995 (Serial F500xxxx)
    I believe it is a 24 inch Heavy Barrel (what is the benefit of a heavy barrel?) and it has a bipod on it. Was this stock or added later?
    I'm wondering if this has an aftermarket trigger. There is no travel and the wall seems pretty light, is there a way to tell?
    I believe the F means Synthetic Stock and the P means it was Police issued. Does the P mean it was available for law enforcement only?
    This rifle doesn't have a detachable magazine and when I load it, it will fit 5 in the magazine very tightly. Its stagger fed, and when I load the firearm, the first cartridge loads fine and then ejects fine, but when it fails to pick up the second cartridge (staggered on right). I agitated the cartridge and tried again and it will pick up and eject, then the next 3 seem to be fine. I did this a couple times and it seems the issue is the 2nd cartridge. Is this only supposed to hold 4 and I'm overloading it? What could be causing this issue?

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can't wait. What types of upgrades or mods should I be doing? I've seen some of the members 110's here and they look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by HDStangGang View Post
    Just picked up a 110 FP Tactical yesterday, with a SightMark 4x16 Triple Duty scope.
    This is my first modern bolt action gun. I've got some pistols, AR's, and some milsups.
    I want to go deer hunting this year (never been) and picked this up to learn how to shoot long distance.
    From the research I've done. Its a Flat Back, Long Action, Pre-Accutrigger 110. Looks like it was manufactured in 1995 (Serial F500xxxx)
    I believe it is a 24 inch Heavy Barrel (what is the benefit of a heavy barrel?) and it has a bipod on it. Was this stock or added later?
    I'm wondering if this has an aftermarket trigger. There is no travel and the wall seems pretty light, is there a way to tell?
    I believe the F means Synthetic Stock and the P means it was Police issued. Does the P mean it was available for law enforcement only?
    This rifle doesn't have a detachable magazine and when I load it, it will fit 5 in the magazine very tightly. Its stagger fed, and when I load the firearm, the first cartridge loads fine and then ejects fine, but when it fails to pick up the second cartridge (staggered on right). I agitated the cartridge and tried again and it will pick up and eject, then the next 3 seem to be fine. I did this a couple times and it seems the issue is the 2nd cartridge. Is this only supposed to hold 4 and I'm overloading it? What could be causing this issue?

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can't wait. What types of upgrades or mods should I be doing? I've seen some of the members 110's here and they look awesome!

https://ibb.co/Ry8M0Cy Picture as its currently set up.

Also whats the best way to post pics, I put a link to a web hosting site.
    The heavy barrel will add to recoil dampening and getting back on target quicker.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The magazine is meant for 4.

If you post pics(or links to pics) of the trigger we can tell you what it is. Pics with the barreled action out of the stock would be best if possible.

Banned
    I fixed the picture below. P doesn’t really mean Police in this case. I don’t believe there have been any LEO only Savage 110’s. Pdog is correct, it’s meant to hold 4. Doesn’t operate normally with only 4? Any again, he is on point with the trigger. Show us a picture of the trigger & we can tell what it is. For future pictures, you want to Copy/Paste the BBCode link in your post. Just as did below. The more heavy the barrel, the more rounds it can fire in a string before overheating. However, this is useless for hunting. The Bipod was added after purchase. Rifle looks good! Nice purchase. What is it chambered in?

And welcome

Banned
    Oh yes, as for modifications, there are quite a few. Although, I wouldn’t recommend doing anything just yet. In fact, I’d encourage purchasing reloading equipment & supplies first. Many of the aftermarket parts do nothing for accuracy. Some can though, depending. However, it’s typically only in cases where accuracy is failing. But it requires a person capable of investigating a potential problem. You never want to just throw parts at a problem.

Anyway, what aftermarket parts replace the is most notably, is making a rifle look & at times, feel the way a user wants. Here is my current Model 10. It’s been very heavily modified. But, I’m on the extreme side of things and I am a Die Hard Savage fan…have been since I was 18 and have owned many 10/110 platforms through the years. Many other shooters would never do what I do, putting this amount of money into a Savage. Again, I’m a unique fan. But I don’t recommend others doing what I do. Not on their first Savage at least. I certainly didn’t touch my first, a model 111 Combo. But there may be a couple fairly inexpensive items I recommend doing. Depending on certain characteristics.

I guess I did forget the caliber. It is chambered in .308. I will get some pics of the trigger and bolt removed. Thanks!

Banned
    Just to be clear, you don’t need to disassemble the trigger. Just remove the Barreled Action from the stock & take some close up pictures of both sides of the trigger group. Like below. Actually, you may be able to tell yourself by the picture. Here are a factory, RifleBasix & Timney together. The big tell, is the deletion of the Bar spring in the aftermarket trigger groups. Only the factory pre-Accutrigger uses it, while the others use a standard coiled compression spring.

Thanks for the tip on how to post pics. Got pics posted of the trigger and bolt removed now.

Hah. I took a picture of it in the gun. I'll have to get some pics of the trigger out when I have some time.

Banned
    Just looking at your trigger there I do believe it’s still a factory unit. Likely a 3-screw. The factory 110 3-screw triggers have a very distinct bevel on the sides of the trigger face, while the aftermarket triggers are bit more subtle. And the factory trigger is thicker through the length of the curve, while aftermarket pieces are usually thinner. This can be seen in the photo I posted in #7. But won’t know for sure until it’s removed from the stock & can be seen completely.

Even so, if you have a factory 3-screw I wouldn’t worry about it. Especially if yours already feels nice. Those triggers have potential & can be made to perform quite nicely.

Dave i agree. I think it’s a factory by looking at it. Since he says it feels pretty good it has probably already been tweaked by a previous owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post

Sweet! Curious if you have any weight specs on this as pictured. thanks, Dave

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
    Sweet! Curious if you have any weight specs on this as pictured. thanks, Dave
    I recently installed a heavier profile, 28” barrel, so I believe as it sits now it’s between 17-18lbs. Could be bit less over.

thank you. I put my Savage 10 in a Berserk stock and it totals about 11#. I still need to test fire.

(sorry that you're in Filfthadelphia.... i understand, as I live in Sea-molia, WA)