Thread: New barrel installation experience and issues

Team Savage

New barrel installation experience and issues

I removed a shot out aftermarket barrel without a problem. Cleaned the threads on the new barrel, barrel nut, and action. I found that I could not thread the aftermarket barrel nut onto the new barrel. I searched the problem and found that others have used emery cloth to polish the threads enough to allow threading of the nut. After working the issue for a while without success, I moved on to threading the barrel into the SS receiver. I usually apply Permatex and thread the barrel in and out a few times. I found that I couldn't thread the barrel in, and had to back the bolts on the action wrench almost all the way out to allow threading fully into the receiver. Once the barrel was in, I tightened the bolts in as far as I could and still move the barrel. Headspaced with the go/no-go gauges. I was able to use the aftermarket recoil lug that the rifle was bedded with. Was not able to use the aftermarket barrel nut, so used the nut that came with the BVSS. I don't anticipate problems with this set up. This is the 6th barrel I've installed and haven't experienced this before.

Banned
    If you used sandpaper/emery cloth to knock down the major Diam. of the barrel Tenon threading and it would then thread in the Receiver & the factory barrel nut, this indicates the Aftermarket Barrel Nut you received was either machined way too tight or just out of spec. You should contact who you purchased the barrel nut from & request a replacement.

I agree.

How tight did you have to have the action wrench to where it wouldn’t allow you to thread on the barrel? Never had that happen. In fact I only tighten the action wrench by hand and then just a light snug with a wrench.
    I also have the barrel already threaded to the action with the go gauge already in and the barrel nut hand snugged before i snug down the action wrench bolts.

Team Savage
    The aftermarket barrel nut that wouldn't thread was the one removed from the previous barrel. It threaded on the previous barrel easily. I also tried a new aftermarket nut purchased fairly recently that would not thread. Difficulty threading the barrel into the receiver was a first for me. I didn't have the nerve to pursue sanding the barrel tenon until it fit. I usually hand tighten the action wrench and tweak it with a wrench. It surprised me to find that the barrel would not thread in without loosening the bolts. I started this thread for information purposes for others that may come across the issue. I thought about the problem for a couple of days before proceeding. Thanks for the feedback.