Thread: Impulse Predator Feedback

Impulse Predator Feedback

Anyone have one in 22-250 and/or 243?

If so, how do you like it? What grain of bullets?

Any other info and/or comments welcome.

PS: Does anyone reload for the Impulse (I'm a reloader). Can you get away with bumping the shoulder back .002 or do you have to full length resize? Can it be push to the pressures of a BA?
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 02-07-2024 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Additional info

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post

PS: Does anyone reload for the Impulse (I'm a reloader). Can you get away with bumping the shoulder back .002 or do you have to full length resize? Can it be push to the pressures of a BA?
    Buy one, you'll love it.

SJC

Does anyone offer a re-barrel option in 22 Creedmoor?

Basic Member
    Barrels are interchangeable between the Impulse and other Savage bolt guns. You just need to be sure you have the right bolt face diameter for Creedmoor cartridges and purchase a for Savage prefit. Just make sure the shank sizes match up.

Quote Originally Posted by RCE1 View Post
    Barrels are interchangeable between the Impulse and other Savage bolt guns. You just need to be sure you have the right bolt face diameter for Creedmoor cartridges and purchase a for Savage prefit. Just make sure the shank sizes match up.
    GTK.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post

I bought one in 243 and rebarreled to 22 Creedmoor. As others have said, it uses the same barrels as Savage model 10. However, it uses a different barrel nut, so the standard wrench doesn't fit.
    I've been bumping shoulders .002 and loading to standard pressures. I don't think there's anything different than loading for any other bolt action.
    I posted a whole series on the tubes about my Impulse: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...aaIYMblgGy8FC-

Basic Member
    Somehow I missed this. Great series. Very clear.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by supressyourself View Post
    I bought one in 243 and rebarreled to 22 Creedmoor. As others have said, it uses the same barrels as Savage model 10. However, it uses a different barrel nut, so the standard wrench doesn't fit.
    I've been bumping shoulders .002 and loading to standard pressures. I don't think there's anything different than loading for any other bolt action.
    I posted a whole series on the tubes about my Impulse: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...aaIYMblgGy8FC-
    Yeah, great videos man! Thanks for sharing. You are a bit unsure of some of the information in both this and your model 12FV. (Which is actually just a model 10), but you can learn all the little things here! Great job once again..

Team Savage
    Like most firearms Savage has produced, the Impulse Predator model is an example of an American made straight pull rifle that can be customized by the the consumer and is affordable compared to other straight pull rifles on the market.
    For the last 2+ years I've tested and hunted with my Predator rifles in many environmental conditions in three different calibers. .243, .260, 20-250.
    I know others that have tested their Predator rifles in several different calibers as well, with good results.
    I've posted the results of my somewhat unbiased testing on this site for all to see.
    I fully admit that I prefer using straight pull rifles and have been buying and working on Savage rifles for decades, so the Impulse rifle fit's right into my wheelhouse.
    I hunt and compete with Blaser rifles, so I know how a quality straight pull rifle performs.
    The Impulse Predator is a proven reliable rifle in my eye's.
    The biggest issue for most Impulse rifle users is being able to adjust to a straight pull rifles mechanics after using turn bolt rifles for so long.
    I find it amusing that pulling a bolt back and pushing it forward could be so difficult, but I witness it almost every time I let someone that's only fired turn bolt rifles their whole life try one of my straight pull's at the range for the first time.
    If your used to and have many turn bolt rifles, I would only use it on the range till and if you get comfortable with it's ease of use.
    Being I have other straight pull rifles to fit my needs, I probably wouldn't have, maybe wouldn't have, hesitated a second (who am I kidding) bought an Impulse rifle if Savage didn't come to their senses and offered the Predator model with the use of ultra reliable AI pattern metal magazines.
    As with most rifles, Accuracy is improved with worked up handloads, but I have witnessed and have been told that factory ammo is accurate too.
    The .243 predator has a 1-9 1/4 twist rate, so it's should be good for projos in the 60-100 grain weight range.
    As with all of my .243 predator hunting rifles, I've had great result's with 70 grain Nosler ballistic tips.

SJC