Thread: Rifle model ID

Rifle model ID

Good afternoon all. I currently own a savage 257 Roberts serial # E801902 manufactured in 1981(according to savage) its TBR Stagger feed. I would like to know for sure if this is in fact a model 110? I am looking to modify this for a more ergonomic go to for hunting as it currently has a boat anchor for a stock. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you

Banned
    Your rifle was actually produced in 1987, not 1981, which would have a D letter code. Yes it’s a 110, and should be a 1st Gen Short Action at 4.522” between Action screws. But make sure you check that measurement.

Thanks Dave, I am not positive and will check this weekend. I have measured the screws previously and for some reason I'm thinking its more in the 5"+ but again i could very well be mistaken its been a while. If by chance it does in fact measure in the 5+" range its would just be long action 110 correct? If you don't mind me asking how did you narrow down the year? Best i could get from savage was 81.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Tishadam View Post
    If you don't mind me asking how did you narrow down the year?
    Sticky Topics in this forum directly above your post - Dating Serial Numbers with a Letter Prefix

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tishadam View Post
    Thanks Dave, I am not positive and will check this weekend. I have measured the screws previously and for some reason I'm thinking its more in the 5"+ but again i could very well be mistaken its been a while. If by chance it does in fact measure in the 5+" range its would just be long action 110 correct? If you don't mind me asking how did you narrow down the year? Best i could get from savage was 81.
    As Phil Posted. Although that is only for ‘69+ 110’s. Before this 110’s didn’t use the same serialization numbering and production year was actually identified by a Letter in an Oval stamping on the barrel. (Chart below) I’m surprised Savage couldn’t tell you the proper year. But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Perhaps when you said E, the CS person on the phone thought you said D, which with your serial number preceded by a D would be a 1981 production date. So, benefit of the doubt I guess.

Yes, your rifle could very well be a Long Action. It was only 1 year after yours, (1988), when Savage started producing all 110’s, both Long & Shirt Action cartridges, in Long Action Receivers only. This they continued until 1997. Here is another very informative article here I recommend reading. https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

edit: One other thing, it would actually be beneficial for you if it is a Long Action. There are more options for replacement stock. And even more if you wanted to convert to Center Feed. At which point Chassis are available.

Attachment 10380

Thank you gentleman! You have been a great help! I truly appreciate the information and hopefully can get this tuned up and in the field for the upcoming season. Center feed with a removable mag would be really nice indeed!
    Dave is there any vender specifically you would recommend ordering from for stocks/chassis changes?

Banned
    The sites promoted here are a great place to start. Gunshack, Tactical Works Inc. & Northland Shooters Supply are venders we all here are very familiar with. You can find them at the the top of the page under Site Sponsors.