Thread: Tale of 2 barrels...44 mag shoot-out part 2

Tale of 2 barrels...44 mag shoot-out part 2

My local range re-opened and gave me a chance to do some accuracy testing with my two 44 mag barrels. I've got a 18" SSK Hunter with a forward compensator and a 24" Eabco barrel. I got them both with intention of satisfying my curiosity about velocity, figure out what I really want in terms of barrel length and try to determine whether there's any pertinent difference in accuracy between the two. Since one is too short in my opinion and the other is too long for the caliber, they're both at a bit of a disadvantage in the length department. That leaves accuracy and velocity.
    On an earlier outing, I was able to put a number of rounds across a chronograph and get some good data about velocity. Since I could spend some time at the indoor range, this round I was able to get a start on finding out what combination each barrel might prefer and find out if it looks like there any fundamental difference.

For initial testing, early in the break-in process, I kept it simple and loaded up 2 different bulk bullets, jacketed hollow points and jacketed flat points, in 2 different charge weights of H110. Testing each combination in both barrels gave me 8 groups to look at. I kept things at 50 yards to keep groups from scattering too much and tried to keep the barrels cool throughout. I have to say, neither barrel heated up very much during the process.

After shooting a few rounds of plinker loads in each barrel before shooting for groups, I proceeded through the load range. The results are on the target below with the SSK loads starting in the upper left and progressing counter clockwise and the EABCO groups starting in the lower right corner and progressing counter clockwise around the remaining targets. It's easy to see that the groups from the 24" barrel were a little better. Neither barrel gave solid MOA results with these combinations, though the EABCO came very close. I think both barrels will start to shine when they get some more rounds through them and I break out the XTPs to try to dial in some real accuracy.

Shooting the longer barrel feels a little better but neither is particularly punishing. Both are nice in their own way so it'll be hard for me to decide just on handling characteristics. Either way, it'll be an interesting process to keep comparing them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20240205_174551.jpg  

Team Savage
    Looks like there's potential for some terrific accuracy in the making. I hope you get to use one (or BOTH!) of them on some hogs soon. They've been scare here, and my trigger finger is in need of live target therapy ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    Looks like there's potential for some terrific accuracy in the making. I hope you get to use one (or BOTH!) of them on some hogs soon. They've been scare here, and my trigger finger is in need of live target therapy ha ha.
    Either barrel is hog medicine for sure. That 18" barrel would be handy for brush-beating or make a dandy truck gun. The longer barrel could lose a couple of inches and still retain all the accuracy, velocity and handling characteristics. For target, plinking or stand hunting, it would fill the bill nicely.

Since I have the 20" 445 Super Mag as well, I may opt to keep that one along with the longer barrel. Having the dedicated 44 Mag is satisfying and the Super Mag, loaded hot or loaded down a little with slower powders, provides good options for different situations. I'm much happier with the chambers on either of the 44 Mags than the way the Super Mag is cut. It appears to be about .005" bigger than either of the Mag chambers. I end up just partially sizing the brass to avoid working it more than necessary. But it is a Super Mag and I do have a soft spot. :)

More results from my load comparisons with these 2 barrels. This time I wanted to see how 200 gr XTPs would shoot. I also loaded up some 240 gr XTPs. The 240s have shot well in every barrel I've ever had and look to be very accurate with either of these, as well. I expected the 200 grain bullets to do better than they did but they weren't terrible, by any means.

The 240s in from the SSK barrel gave me my first sub-MOA groups with 2 different charge weights shooting .5" and .4" at 50 yards. That's pretty exciting. The Eabco barrel wasn't far behind with a best 50 yard group of .63. That combination of 240 gr XTP and 23.6 grains of H110 and just about any primer has been a pet load from the beginning for me. :)

The 200 grainers shot better in the Eabco barrel with a best group of .69 at 50 yards. That's less than 1.5 MOA and quite acceptable for any hunting situation this round might be suitable for.

Related to my other discussion about barrel-switching, I noticed that this time the POI shifted with the Eabco barrel. I had both scopes adjusted to the same point of aim and they'd been holding pretty well through my testing, switching back and forth at least once per range session. This time, the Eabco shifted a couple of inches low. I guess with these loads, the longer barrel may have shown a little less tendency to jump during recoil and held a little lower POI. On the other hand, if I failed to tighten the forend screws to a consistent tension, maybe that shifted the POI and had an impact on the accuracy. It'll be interesting to test these particular loads further. :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240221_151201.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	10429