Thread: Nra 19

Nra 19

I was given an old NRA 19 by my grandfather 50 years ago. For most of my life, I didn't know what it was. The markings on the barrel showed patent dates and no model number. There is no serial number anywhere on the rifle- whereas all the examples I've seen pictures of show it forward of the bolt and behind the ejection port. The description NRA 19 is not anywhere on the rifle. The butt plate has logo depicting the screaming chief holding a rifle with the word Savage over the top. the butt plate is stamped on the underside 671 and it matches the same 671 stamp into the wood of the butt plate. I don't have factory sights or a magazine, though I'm actively looking for the sights now, and have ordered a magazine yesterday- after market 7 shot made by CSSparts. It's also missing the middle barrel band with sling swivel. I'm thinking this is one of the earliest 19's made, but can't prove it. And I'd like to restore it to it's original condition if possible. Parts are scarce though. Anyone have any idea what the history of this rifle might be? Is it older or newer than 1920's? thank you-

Philip B. Sharpe's book , "The Rifle In America" is probably one of the best references one can find for detailed specifications on American rifles made before 1938 (the year it was published). The NRA Match Rifle Model 1919 (long winded names - even back then) was made from 1919-1933, and was replaced by the NRA Target Rifle Model 19-33 which used the same action but featured a more modern-style target stock and heavier barrel contour.

As for D.O.M., your guess would be as good as mine on that without a serial number (Sav22 on here might be able to help as he's extremely knowledgeable on the early rimfires). Back then S/N's weren't required, but most mainstream manufacturers used them as a tracking tool for future warranty and repair purposes. Is it possible the rifle was refinished at some point in it's life and in the process the S/N was polished off while trying to remove some pitting or scratches in the metal? In any event, I'm betting the 671 numbers on the butt plate and stock are the last three digits of the original S/N. If you had the full S/N the Cody Firearms Museum may have some info on it as they now have all the early Savage record books.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Well, I'm an idjit. Reading some articles on the NRA 19, I located the serial number stamped into the round face of the back of the receiver. 19144. The original wood finish was supposed to be oiled, not varnished. Someone varnished this one at some point. The serial number was covered and hidden by the varnish. This rifle is a mess- but I'm determined to fix it. The nostalgic value of it for me is the only value probably. When my grandfather gave it to me, it was probably in his view the least valuable rifle he owned, and it was only good for a 10 year old grandson to plink around with. Without a magazine, I had to load one shot at a time and the bb gun sights that had been tack welded to the barrel were actually pretty accurate. Whatever the outcome, I had fun with the rifle as a kid, and I'm enjoying myself discovering what it is/was now. Thanks for the help.

You're not an idiot! That is one of the more unusual places to put a serial number that I have seen. I've owned my NRA Match 1919 for several years but didn't really appreciate it until recently. When I first saw it in a local gun shop, there were a couple things about it that gave me pause. The main thing was that what looked like a 5/8-11" thread had been put on the outside of the muzzle. I couldn't imagine what for and still can't. The other is that an unusual rear sight had been fitted into a 3/8" dovetail at the rear. When I went back to look at it again, the shop owner had sawed the thread off at a 5 degree angle. I thought I better buy it before it got improved any more! I recrowned the muzzle and fortunately there was enough barrel that you wouldn't know it was ever any different. I took the rifle apart to refinish it, but never got around to it, and that may be a good thing. I recently re-assembled it, put it to my shoulder with my arm through the original sling and fell in love with it. I've never had a rifle hang as solid and steadily as that one does. The trigger is superb. I've owned or fired Anschutz 54, Winchester 52, various Mossberg, CZ 452's, but I feel a connection to this rifle I didn't to those.
    Well by now you have received the aftermarket magazine and hopefully tried it out. How did it work for you? I'm thinking of ordering some myself and am curious. Glad you've re-discovered a family treasure.