Thread: Scope base screws

Scope base screws

Hi,
    I have a model 12 f class in 6br norma. I went to attach my scope this morning and viola, no screws to attach them to the action. I know these are either 6-32 or 8-40, but what lengths are you all using. I came up with 8mm long, but wanted to check with other users. So 8mm is like betwwen 3/8" and 1/2" long. My concern is going too far into the action and causing interference with the barrel threads or the bolt. I have found .375" and .500" inch long screws, but no 8 mm length in the correct thread.I am using the leupold 2 piece ringmounts with the integral bases. are 3/8" plenty long enough?

I would suggest calling Leupold to get a length or just have them send you replacement screws. Length of the screws varies from brand to brand and base style to base style based on the thickness of the base. Also, if you have a bench grinder you can always go a little long and grind them down to the needed length by chucking the head of the screw up in a drill and holding it at a slight angle to the grinding wheel while running the drill to keep a slight chamfer on the end of the threads to facilitate starting them in the action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I was able to figure out exactly what the screw is so I could order them. Should anyone want to know, the screws for the front weaver style scope bases for the savage model 12 F CLass is a "6-48x1/8" Fillister Head Machine Screw". Now the 1/8" length was a bit difficult to locate. I found 3/16", 1/4" , but just not 1/8". After a few minutes on google search, I did find them on ebay.

I am a machinist, fabricator and welder by trade. Sadly I have the skills to make and or modify any threaded part I need, but I do not have the necesary machinery, equipment or tools availble as I am not set up for this at my home. Talk about frustrated during times like this. Brand new rifle, but cant go shoot it, because of one or two individual screws.

As far as calling Leupold, I should have from the get go , but anyways. I am surprised that bases do not always include the correct screws for the action. I say always because I usually get the action screws with the bases for all my other rifles, just not the savage. Strange.

They do always include the screws. Or atleast they’re supposed to. So either someone robbed them or They were left out during packaging. Either way I would still call Leupold. If nothing else you’ll have an extra set…

Basic Member
    My local ACE hardware has extensive fastener section and now they have several drawers of Gun Screws--says so right on the bins It has come in very handy for me

Banned
    Ace hardware is not going to have proprietary screws.